Author Topic: Abominations!  (Read 594 times)

Online rodwha

Re: Abominations!
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2017, 10:28:55 AM »
I'm not exactly a purist but do prefer them to be close representations of what they were. Various barrel lengths and adjustable sights aren't an issue for me. But many of those grips were just too much as with the steam punk versions. That rib looks ok but just isn't necessary and only adds weight where it isn't needed.

Now a modern reproduction of the Ruger would be something I could get warm and fuzzy over as long as it looked somewhat old like Ruger did. And I can see a Bearcat .36 being quite cool too!

Oh, but make a true .50 cal with 5 shots! I understand Clements creating his to use a common .490" ball but a bullet works so much better for hunting and if one wants/needs a larger cal than a .45 it's likely for something a bit more dangerous or larger than deer.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2017, 06:30:32 PM »
Why stop there? I'd rather have an Automag that uses paper cartridges!

My 1911 likes bp.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Online rodwha

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2017, 06:32:32 PM »
How long can it run before it begins to drag or bind? Or does it ever?

Love how reliable the 1911 is! I recal the 1980's tests to replace it and it being left in mud for days (?) and it running flawlessly.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2017, 06:34:00 PM »
How long can it run before it begins to drag or bind? Or does it ever?

Love how reliable the 1911 is! I recal the 1980's tests to replace it and it being left in mud for days (?) and it running flawlessly.

Haven't run it till it quit but it will still be going after five mags.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Online rodwha

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2017, 07:15:50 PM »
Does it deposit a lot inside the works and get into the magazines?

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2017, 08:43:43 PM »
Does it deposit a lot inside the works and get into the magazines?

Of course it does but maybe not as much as you'd think and it also smokes out of every nook and cranny. Looks so cool. )L$ It all cleans up with water tho.

Online rodwha

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2017, 09:56:17 PM »
I'd certainly love to see this in action!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2017, 10:19:04 PM »
Not mine but still cool.

Online rodwha

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2017, 10:43:08 PM »
Indeed it is cool! 

So what's your load? I can't see the case holding too much (~25 grns).

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2017, 11:01:51 PM »
Never measured it. Just filled the case to around 1/16th from the case mouth and put a 230 grain SWC on top of it.

Online PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2017, 10:58:29 AM »
  All joking aside, I'd like to see one of the Italian companies make a percussion revolver in the mold of the Ruger Old Army. That is a gun that's not a replica of an original made a 150 years ago, but a cap & ball pistol with some improved design features and enhancements. They could start with the already modern top strap design of the Remington 1858 and stretch the frame and cylinder to allow those folks interested in hunting some more room for conical bullets with heavy powder charges. That would give the power of a Walker without the ridicules weight and size. And while they're at it use some better steel for that long cylinder so it won't have a tendency to frag from those heavy loads like a Walker. Have a bushing extending from the front of the cylinder to avoid the fowling problem that Remmy's have on the cylinder pin. Then modify the 1858 grip so the trigger guard wont whack the finger of people like me that "don't know how to hold a gun correctly". Maybe something like a Ruger Bisley grip. A round barrel and adjustable sights would be OK by me, but please, no Colt Python style ventilated ribs! For some bling, maybe cylinder flutes like the ones on a Colt 1862 Police. For reliability, use a coil spring on the hand, and perhaps the trigger and bolt too.
  This type of "abomination" gun sold well for Ruger for many years. If the Italians could make them at a reasonable price, they might become popular again.

We've gotten to play with a prototype of a modernized Remington-style BP revolver made here in America. There's not much I can release about it other than that there is one in the pipe. It was supposed to come out in late 2017 or 2018 if all the patents could go through, but has been moved farther back due to a backburner project that took off faster than expected.

Online rodwha

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2017, 12:41:05 PM »
Do have an idea as to whether it is meant to compete with average repros or a match type? Assuming it would cost quite a bit more than an Italian model I'm guessing it's not an average pistol.

Online PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2017, 11:30:24 AM »
The original plan was for it to run more than a Pietta or Uberti, but less than a Pedersoli or Hege. It would be a near-match-grade, internally-modernized, American made, tough-as-nails,  "Remmy" that would be easily convertible to cartridge - even more modern, defensive, cartridges.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2017, 01:29:21 PM »
Do have an idea as to whether it is meant to compete with average repros or a match type? Assuming it would cost quite a bit more than an Italian model I'm guessing it's not an average pistol.

If the price could come in a little below what Ruger single actions sell for, and have comparable quality, I think they'd have a market winner.
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »
  All joking aside, I'd like to see one of the Italian companies make a percussion revolver in the mold of the Ruger Old Army. That is a gun that's not a replica of an original made a 150 years ago, but a cap & ball pistol with some improved design features and enhancements. They could start with the already modern top strap design of the Remington 1858 and stretch the frame and cylinder to allow those folks interested in hunting some more room for conical bullets with heavy powder charges. That would give the power of a Walker without the ridicules weight and size. And while they're at it use some better steel for that long cylinder so it won't have a tendency to frag from those heavy loads like a Walker. Have a bushing extending from the front of the cylinder to avoid the fowling problem that Remmy's have on the cylinder pin. Then modify the 1858 grip so the trigger guard wont whack the finger of people like me that "don't know how to hold a gun correctly". Maybe something like a Ruger Bisley grip. A round barrel and adjustable sights would be OK by me, but please, no Colt Python style ventilated ribs! For some bling, maybe cylinder flutes like the ones on a Colt 1862 Police. For reliability, use a coil spring on the hand, and perhaps the trigger and bolt too.
  This type of "abomination" gun sold well for Ruger for many years. If the Italians could make them at a reasonable price, they might become popular again.

We've gotten to play with a prototype of a modernized Remington-style BP revolver made here in America. There's not much I can release about it other than that there is one in the pipe. It was supposed to come out in late 2017 or 2018 if all the patents could go through, but has been moved farther back due to a backburner project that took off faster than expected.
I'm guessing you liked what you saw.
Brad Potter, hardware junky.