Author Topic: ROA SWC or RNFP Cast Bullet Source?  (Read 221 times)

Offline GrayFox

ROA SWC or RNFP Cast Bullet Source?
« on: August 04, 2017, 11:40:39 AM »
I have just ordered a 7.5" ROA and it comes with a new looking original ROA holster (yes, the one you can never find), for what's usually asked for the gun alone.  Should have it in a week.  I have a partial box of .457 balls that have been on my shelf for years since I tried (successfully) to load some of Mike Venturino's
.45 Colt double ball loads.  I would like to find a source for either a semi-wadcutter or round nose flat point bullet that will work in the gun.  Can any of you describe your experience with such bullets in this gun and where I might get some.  Thanks, GF

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: ROA SWC or RNFP Cast Bullet Source?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 03:54:44 PM »
You're talking a custom mold, or at least a semi-custom mold.  The Kaido molds (make for Kaido by Lee) are of the latter type.

I've used Accurate Molds for several custom mold orders and I'm quite pleased with his service;
http://www.accuratemolds.com/
All molds ordered from him (Tom) are in essence "custom" molds because you can specify your diameters even on an existing, catalog mold.  Be sure to take a look the Accurate Molds offerings, including both the 45 and the 46 caliber offerings.  He has two bullets already specified for the Ruger, but there are some good designs in the 45 category also, which, as I say, you can order in a larger diameter as part of a regular order.

There are other custom mold makers, which I am sure others will chime in to identify.

You can in theory have a semi-wadcutter, wide flat point, and have everything in one bullet.  I attempted to do just that with the Accurate Molds 45-225L.  It turns out that the very slight shoulder is not enough to ensure the cutting of clean holes in paper (and what other purpose is there for a SWC design?).  I do like the bullet otherwise, with its tapered base band.  The two "46" bullets indicated for the ROA also have tapered base bands.

Offline GrayFox

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 05:11:19 PM »
I visited the Accurate site and he has several I could use for a variety of my revolvers.  Thanks for the info.  GF

Offline GrayFox

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 10:13:54 AM »
Omnivore:  I just read on the Cast Boolits site that even the Lee 200 grn conical over 30 grains of Goex 3f can shoot several inches high at 25 yds even with the sight adjusted all the way down.  What has been your experience with your heavier bullet?  GF

Offline the_law_man01

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 04:14:26 PM »
DD4life sells some nice 195 grain bullets. I shoot cloverleaf holes at 25 yards with them in my ROA. They do shoot about 3"-4" high at that distance. They hit hard and seemingly about .5"-1" low at 50 yards. That's over 35 grains of Hodgdon Triple 7 3fg. I'm looking forward to trying a 220-240 grain bullet.
"Jerk that hog leg and go to work!"

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 05:27:38 PM »

I just read on the Cast Boolits site that even the Lee 200 grn conical over 30 grains of Goex 3f can shoot several inches high at 25 yds even with the sight adjusted all the way down.

In that case you'd need a taller friont sight wouldn't you, or a mod to the rear sight.

I don't know about the differences in the ROA, but I doublt it would be substantially different from the effects of different bullet weights in a Remington or any other gun of similar length firing similar loads.

In my Remingtons it doesn't make much difference at all, between shooting round ball, 180 grain conicals, 200 grain, or 225 grain.  Even having tried a few 240s I didn't notice a lot of difference.

Different powders will react to different bullet weights differently, and so the actual velocity is probably the thing to look at.  that and the gun's "rotational moment of inertis" if that makes sense.  Your personal hold on the gun will have some effect on the answer to that question also, I bet.

According to the Accurate Molds notes on the 46-230P, the 230 grain bullet weight suits the ROA fixed factory sights.  Take that for what it's worth.

It works sort of like this;
The barrel rises slightly, due to recoil, as the bullet is being driven down the bore.  All big bore pistols (and probably all reasonable length handguns of any kind) have negative elevation built into the sights for that reason (the front sight is higher obove the bore than the rear sight).

The heavier the bullet, AND/OR the slower the launch, the more muzzle rise that is likely.  So for any given bullet weight, the POI can still be varied according to the speed of accelleration.  Different powder charges then, can be used to tweak the POI slightly (all users of the double rifle know this all too well).  The faster the launch speed the lower the launch angle, or the heavier the bullet for a given launch speed, the higher the launch angle.

The bottom line is you aren't going to know until you try it in your gun with your powder charge.  The web chatter, when it isn't accompanied by any emperical data such as the exact charge (powder type, granulation and weight), velocity, or distance, (and when is it ever?) is meaningless.

Again I don't know about the Ruger, but the Remington "Target" models, at least for a good long while, were known to always shoot too high, with any load, even after filing the adjustable rear sight down to a nub.  Mine is of that type, so I'm replacing the front sight with a Marble Arms dovetail base and sticking a fiber-optic front sight into that base, such combination being far taller than the Pietta factory front sight.  Due to the totally different attachment systems between the Pietta factory and Marble sights, it's become a project.  It's the ONLY way I'll be able to have it shooting to point of aim at any reasonable pistol distance however, and I don't mind getting rid of the usually invisible, matte stainless (flat grey) front sight anyway - I always hated such a front sight.  I MAY even end up with some genuine elevation adjustment when I'm done.

Offline GrayFox

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 10:05:56 AM »
Thanks for all the good information, guys.  After lots of cogitation I ordered the 6 cavity Big Lube mold for the second generation BP revolver bullet that has the round nose flat point configuration.  The mold arrived yesterday, and I have gotten several of the Lee 6 cavity molds in the past this is without doubt the nicest looking one I have seen.  I will do the cleanup and mold prep and if it isn't raining all afternoon I willgo outside and cast some of them.  GF

Offline the_law_man01

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 12:55:00 AM »
Very nice!
What is the projected bullet weight?
Would you consider selling a few for me to try? I'm trying to decide which mould I want to pick up.
"Jerk that hog leg and go to work!"

Offline GrayFox

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 09:41:44 PM »
I got the Big Lube 6 cavity mold in the mail Friday and got it cleaned up and when hot lubed it as instructed with the free mold lube sample.  It turned out to to be one of the most difficult Lee molds I've had to get to cast decently.  I kept getting all the signs of a cold mold even after half an hour of continuous casting.  I ended up setting my Lyman 20# bottom pour pot heat to the max for 90 minutes at the highest setting and then took the mold apart and smoked the cavities solidly.  Then I finally got some decent bullet cast.  I had 8# of pure lead in the pot and I figure I got about 250 out of it.  They weigh about 225 grains on my electronic scale, but some vary as much as 5 grains.  If I were planning on using the bullets in my .45 Colt rifle at 75 yards that might bother me, but at realistic revolver distances I doubt if it will make much difference.  I will try them in a ROA and a couple Pietta '58 Armies to see how they do with 30 grain Pyrodex pellets and 30-35 grains of KIK 3fg BP.  I will pan lube them with my soft lube of a mix of beeswax, Crisco and olive oil and put tablet card wads between the bullet and powder.  I'm not going to have a chance to shoot them for a week or so and I will report back when I do.  GF