Author Topic: Well, shit!  (Read 19646 times)

southernboy

Re: Well, poot, squirt, potty poop!
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 05:58:58 AM »
I just like guns - REAL or otherwise - but I know what you mean. There's something about the real deal.

Offline Rock Island

• Forum Legend
Re: Well, poot, squirt, potty poop!
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 06:55:33 AM »
What in the hell is "poot, squirt, potty poop! "? 
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.  Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Smokey

• Domain Adminstrator
  • Administrator
  • Forum Legend
    • 1858Remington.com
Re: Well, shit!
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 08:34:13 AM »
Twisted humor.  (l&  )M_
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:34:56 AM by Smokey »

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 06:27:28 PM »
Ya hit the nail on the head Cpt.

Thanks. And thanks, also, Ken, for posting the article. Before I read it, my only familiarity with the S&G was in name only. But after reading the article and visiting Dr. Davis' website, a little light came on in the ol' cranium....."Hey; I've seen this exact gun before, but not listed for sale as an S&G"
When I was a kid, I used to collect WWII era steel pennies; not because they were worth more than a penny, but because they were unusual and somewhat difficult to come by. I'm finding this same trend lurks in the replica BP caves out there, and I'm just beginning to explore.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 06:33:53 PM »
and here i am waitin on my first colts (?^
if yall get this way,drop on by!

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 09:19:02 PM »
and here i am waitin on my first colts (?^

"You'll do well, Del...You'll do well."

Offline Cult

• All for correct sized nipples and lubricated wads
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 09:21:52 PM »

But if you find that brass framed, octagon barrel .36 cal Navy with a plain steel cylinder.....chances are it's not the run-of-the-mill gun they think it is, and would make an interesting addition to anyone's Reb gun collection.

OR... and engraved S&G

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 09:22:26 PM by Cult »
Its better collecting Cap n Ball than Milsurp. Although the M1941 Johnson MG is a nice piece of equipment, I would rather get a reputation for sitting around playing with my Remingtons.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 11:06:58 PM »
I'm finding this same trend lurks in the replica BP caves out there, and I'm just beginning to explore.

There are lots of rare replicas coming out of the woodwork now days.  One of the prototype '51 Navies sold on GB a while back.  I picked up a pair of unfired G&Gs made in 1960 by Gregorelli & Uberti.  Also picked up a sheriffs model G&G in the correct .36 cal with a plain cylinder, not the .44 cal engraved cyl frankengun.  Still looking for a Tucker & Sherrard & a .36 Dance though. 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 10:45:13 PM »
Well, I got my generic S&G. There's some disappointment here; not in the gun itself, but rather the way it was represented.
It was listed as "appears to be unfired", yeah, OK. If Stevie Wonder was selling it, mebbe. No, that wouldn't work, either. Stevie may be blind but he still has his sense of smell. This gun smelled of powder residue, even if you were blind and couldn't see it. Plus the box had a hole in it, and when I stuck my finger through it I felt the bare, unwrapped muzzle rattling around in there...poorly packed to say the least. The muzzle had obviously torn the hole through the box.  Harumph.
Also, the guy had a potential buyer ask him a question noting that the barrel wedge screw was missing in the photos; he replied that he had it. He still does, evidently. Niggling little tidbits, but aggravating all the same. Look; I got a screaming deal on this thing; $117.00 shipped. I have every intention of ripping into this thing like a monkey on a cupcake and tuning it, CAS-style. So I don't really care, and would have gladly paid the same amount if the PO had been up-front about things on the auction site. But it kind of bothers me that he didn't. I guess I'm used to buying stuff from Kevin where it arrives far better than you could ever dream and you feel like you really should have paid more.
Oh well, water under the bridge. I have it now, and will be doing my CAS-style tuning on a thread in the Gunsmithing section, complete with pix, over the next few weeks & such. Tune in!

Offline Cult

• All for correct sized nipples and lubricated wads
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 01:55:44 AM »
Sorry to hear about the bum deal. 

Look forward to seeing the thread on tuning.
Its better collecting Cap n Ball than Milsurp. Although the M1941 Johnson MG is a nice piece of equipment, I would rather get a reputation for sitting around playing with my Remingtons.

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 04:54:40 AM »
bummer about the mis representation on yer new piece kirk , but the up side is ya got it fer a good price anyway.  in a pm the other day, kevin mentioned to me that gun nuts were some of the most honest people you will ever deal with! i agree with that,so obviously the prick ya bought this from is just a seller trying to make a buck here and there and not a true gun lover - user-fondler-drooler- junkie the the folks ya deal with here!   congrats on yer newest family member and im lookin foreward to seein the pics/posts, in the future! be sure to get a before pic! _;(

Offline Geraldo

• Lead singer and driver of the Winnebago
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2011, 05:20:29 AM »
Leave some feedback on Gunbroker.  Good deal or not, the seller lied about the condition, and not much pisses me off more than that.  ^y%  Or give me and ET his address and we'll pay him a visit.  B^^  Of course we don't work cheap, but we'll give you the lodge brother price  ->i

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2011, 05:56:38 AM »
yea when we roll up on his ass with the clownmobile he'll be laughin, but when we get through with him hell be takin off his hat sos he can wipe his ass!  and all it will cost ya is some triple f, a couple o hundred 454s and two bottles of single malt and two tickets to the bears cowboy game! {L*

Offline Rock Island

• Forum Legend
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 07:17:06 AM »
I hate sellers who pull that crap, lets drag him out back and beat the shit outa him!  I hope you can get it all squared away.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.  Theodore Roosevelt

Offline snake-eyes

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Erin Go Bragh
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2011, 07:47:27 AM »
Capt,
       I hope it turns out well for you! I forget the Latin term for "Let the buyer beware!"....But when dealing with auction sites,it certainly
applies,or for that matter any deal over the net.IMHO
Member: NRA
Member: Columbus Muzzleloading Gun Club
Co-Founder and charter member: Traditional M/L Ass.
www.TraditionalMuzzleloadingassociation.com
If you come to a fork in the road,take it! Yogi Berra

Ever wonder who God roots for in a religious war??