The 1858 Remington Forum

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Busyhands94 on June 06, 2012, 10:39:38 PM

Title: Cobray derringer kit
Post by: Busyhands94 on June 06, 2012, 10:39:38 PM
I have decided to get a Cobray derringer kit and show you guys the building process.
As far as I know you can build your own pistol given it has a rifled barrel, then it wouldn't fall into the category of "any other weapon" thus being legal. Of course this is Kommiefornia, but I'm moving to Arizona ASAP. If I am bending anything I'd be legal soon enough.

The parts kit is available from Practical Tactical: http://www.practicaltacticalky.com/oldSite/Leinad.html
Side plates and breech face: http://theflatspot.weebly.com/derringer-45lc410-ss-sideplates--breech-face.html

Today I loaded up some blackpowder .410 shells, I used 20 grains of powder and 1/3 an ounce of shot. I figure that should be light enough for a pistol!

~Levi
Post by: Smokin_Gun on June 06, 2012, 11:36:05 PM
That's what I had in my hand on this Day ... and that is a sweet and mighty big Derringer...
(http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Smokin_Gun/November/BountyHunterSG.jpg)
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on June 07, 2012, 08:17:27 AM
Busy, are you getting single or double barrel?

SG, how do you like shooting it? Mine has crappy trigger pull. That's why I got it all a part to fix that trigger pull.
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on June 07, 2012, 08:23:03 AM
(http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss44/SamStafford/Picture119.jpg)
(http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss44/SamStafford/Picture118.jpg)
Post by: Busyhands94 on June 07, 2012, 12:16:26 PM
Very cool Sam! It's like a .410 bicycle shotgun! Kind of reminds me of that Garcia Bronco skeleton rifle we had for a little while.

I think I'll do mine up right. Polish and nickle plate it, make some wooden boot grips. I'd imagine it will kick like a mule, good thing I'll be handloading for mine. BP .45 Colt should be fun!
Post by: Smokin_Gun on June 07, 2012, 12:19:24 PM
It was a lil' heavy on the trigger pull but accurate enough for Rattlers ;)
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on June 07, 2012, 09:04:32 PM
I see on gunbroker that you can get white plastic grips now.  ;)
Post by: Busyhands94 on June 08, 2012, 01:36:09 PM
I've seen those white grips before, they look cool! Although I'd rather just have this thing big, black and ugly. These derringers are ugly, that's for sure. It's like an AR-15 had a baby or something! )L$
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on June 08, 2012, 06:01:13 PM
Busy...LOL!  (?^
Post by: Needles on July 13, 2012, 05:32:13 PM
I just found this thread. I've ordered the single barrel kit and the conversion parts for the shotgun, plus the breech/sideplates. My only worry is in brazing the breech & sideplates together. I have a friend who is a welder. He's going to coach me. (I've never brazed anything before, but I used to do LOTS of soldering, and it sounds similar. It actually sounds like the silver soldering I used to do when I worked at Motorola.)
Post by: Tom-ADC on July 13, 2012, 05:42:47 PM
If you can silver solder you should be able to braze okay, just remember parts can't be to clean before you start. Good luck and don't forget pictures.
Post by: Kaeto on July 24, 2012, 06:05:30 AM
Here you go Sam!

Post by: Tom-ADC on July 24, 2012, 12:53:09 PM
First time I've seen one of those, I'm betting not on the cadoj list.. ->i
Post by: Busyhands94 on July 24, 2012, 01:06:02 PM
It would be really cool to get a shotgun barrel and stock to convert the derringer, a nice little .45 derringer and a shotgun all in one! Of course I could get a .410 to .22 LR adapter for this, or one in .32 caliber.
So with two adapters and the shotgun/derringer setup you can have:
a .45/410 derringer
a .410 shotgun
a .22 long gun
a .32 long gun
a .32 derringer
and a .22 derringer

Six firearms in one. There you go! {?|
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on July 24, 2012, 05:51:09 PM
Here you go Sam!

About a year ago, I could of bought this one for $100.
It's the trigger that stinks on of of these guns.
Post by: Needles on July 27, 2012, 06:13:18 AM
So with two adapters and the shotgun/derringer setup you can have:
a .45/410 derringer
a .410 shotgun
a .22 long gun
a .32 long gun
a .32 derringer
and a .22 derringer

Six firearms in one. There you go! {?|

"Beware the man with one gun." (It might be more than one!)   ])M
Post by: Needles on August 09, 2012, 07:31:38 PM
Well, here's what I've done so far. The breech face and side panels come like this: (Actually, packed in a sealed plastic bag.)
I had to de-burr the side plates, and polished them a little using fine sandpaper and a piece of plate glass. You can't really take off a lot of metal.
Post by: Needles on August 09, 2012, 07:51:19 PM
I got the mating surfaces nice and shiny. (You can't really tell here.) Then I shimmed the side plates using a stack of small flat washers and two #6-32 x 3/4" machine screws to hold it in alignment when I braze it. It took 6 #8 flat washers to equal the width of the center piece of the grip and the little tang that sticks down between the side plates. I used the other pins, the safety and the trigger pivot pin, to make sure the holes all lined up. The pins all drop in from either side. After I tightened the screws, I checked everything again--- still good. The breech plate just barely slips in place, so it should braze right up . I have a C-clamp to hold it. Now I'm just waiting for the silver to get here. Home Depot had a 56% silver brazing kit on sale for @ $46 delivered--- 15' of wire alloy and some silver brazing flux. I'll keep y'all updated!  ;)
Post by: Boondock on August 10, 2012, 12:17:20 AM
Lookin good so far, Needles!  I always thought about making one of these ugly little buggers for a tacklebox gun but I don't know squat about welding or brazing!  {_K

Can't wait to see how the rest of the build goes - might be just what I need to get off my duff and give it a shot!
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on August 10, 2012, 04:18:17 AM
Looks great Needles.  {?|
Please make sure you put up some pictures of how you put the trigger and hammer in.
I still can't get mine back together here.  :-[
Post by: Needles on August 10, 2012, 05:40:13 AM
The second link in Levi's first post (first post of this thread) has a long PDF file with the instructions. It's on the bottom right of the web page when you go to that link.  He talks about the hammer spring and the trigger spring in there, plus there's more detail about the trigger spring added at the end. It looks like the trigger spring is also the barrel latch spring. The instructions are for a .22/.45LC, but the frames are the same for all models, I believe--- maybe not the side by side double barrel. He talks about using a paper clip on the trigger spring, I think to lift it above the latch, but I'll have to finger that part out when I get there.  :)
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on August 10, 2012, 05:54:18 AM
Thanks Needles, I'll take a look at that PDF file.  ;)
Post by: frontloader on August 10, 2012, 06:10:05 AM
Hey Sam, did you buy and build the kit ?  or buy it complete?..............frontloader
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on August 10, 2012, 06:18:21 AM
Hi front, I bought this gun complete at a gun store. It was new for $72 bucks.
The reason I have it apart is: the trigger is very hard to pull. I'm talking like 25 lb trigger pull!
Post by: frontloader on August 10, 2012, 06:27:28 AM
Yea Sam, I bought the single bbl 45/410 a few years ago. it also had a 25 lb trigger!!! I never took it apart and try lighting the trigger. popped a couple snakes here by the house with the .410. the .410 had more recoil than the .45 to me.....frontloader
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on August 10, 2012, 06:31:34 AM
When I figure out HOW to make a better trigger, I'll post pictures on here.  ;)
Post by: Busyhands94 on August 10, 2012, 07:59:29 AM
Sam, try taking the gun apart and looking at the sear and contact surfaces. My guess is that if you took some steel off the little notch in the hammer that the sear on the trigger catches on (I have no idea what it's called) and polished the sear you could have a really sweet trigger pull. That's what I did with my steel framed Remmy I built, the trigger is smooth as butter! (T^ Not as good as my Armsport Remmy, but I think I'm going to pull that apart and try and get a picture of the contact surfaces. The trigger pull on that one is really, really good. I've never felt a trigger that good on a pistol before.
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on August 10, 2012, 08:01:46 AM
Hi Busy, yeah...but what if I mess it up?  {_K
Post by: Busyhands94 on August 10, 2012, 09:22:04 AM
Slow and steady Sam, slow and steady. Take your time and you won't file the sear off. And if you think you are close put the gun back together, get some snap caps, and give that trigger a test. I've done a bunch of triggers, you have to go slowly and carefully and most of all WANT the trigger to be better. If a redneck like me can do it in his backyard with some hand tools then so can you, again I've done quite a few trigger jobs before on my guns and a few other people's guns. They all turned out great.

(http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/busyhands94/RLeeEremyyellingatSamStafford.jpg)

I know, I've got too much time on my hands. )L$
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on August 10, 2012, 09:31:23 AM
 (?^ Love that picture!
I need to make another trigger out of some flat steel. I think I have some in my shop.

I just weight myself (we just got a new bathroom scale here), I'm at 205!  {:(
I don't feel like 205!  :(
Post by: Busyhands94 on August 10, 2012, 10:40:12 AM
(http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/busyhands94/eremyyellingatsamstafford.jpg)

I couldn't resist!!! (?^ ->i Hehehe! I'm such a bastard but Sargent R. Lee Eremy is hilarious!!! )L$
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on August 10, 2012, 11:32:50 AM
Woooo, back the truck up! I'm a Capt.! Or I was before the Armed Sec. went out of Bus.
(http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss44/SamStafford/Picture128.jpg)
Busy, scream all you want...you just might help me lose some weight!  ;)
Post by: Busyhands94 on August 10, 2012, 11:56:53 AM
That is awesome! I think I should call you Captain Sam from now on, I like that! Either way thank you for your service! ])M

I recommend cayenne pepper to help you in your effort to loose some weight. It boosts the metabolism, I take it when I've got a cold. My parents are really into eating all healthy an' sich, there's an app they have on their fancy touch screen phones that calculates how many calories have been consumed judging by the foods eaten in certain amounts. They also replaced beef with turkey or chicken and cut bread out of their diets. I think they are really going nuts with weight loss, but my dad lost 50 pounds and started this health stuff after he quit the nails so I can tell it's working. Speaking of witch, Vitamin N suppresses hunger. You can trust me on that one, I'm 130.

Due to the fact that I do manual labor everyday I've decided that I'm on a mission to get more muscular, I need a brace of guns for when I don't have my brace of guns on me. &j(
Every morning I shoot 150 rounds with my Crossman Quest break barrel air rifle and switch arms, followed by 8 raw eggs and a glass of protein powder in whole milk. Then I work all day with a shovel and pick because I'm working on a pretty big landscaping job. I feel like it's working, I've been at it about a month. I can't wait until I can buy me a brace of Colt Dragoons (the original .44 Magnum) and shoot one with each hand! :-*

~Levi
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on August 10, 2012, 12:41:51 PM
Busy, One word...Lazy!
That is what I am.  :-[
I think I need someone to light a fire under my butt, to get me going!  (?^
Post by: frontloader on August 10, 2012, 02:58:28 PM

.............................................DURN I just called Practical Tactical , and they are out of the kits...........frontloader
~Levi
Post by: Needles on August 19, 2012, 06:41:12 PM
Well, I got 'er done! I used a 56% silver kit to braze the breech plate to the side plates. I tried to use propane only, but it was taking too long to heat up. So, after about 15 minutes, I switched to MAPP gas and oxygen. That only took a couple of minutes! The silver braze is supposed to be good to 72000 pounds tensile strength. I got a little too much of the braze on the joint, so I had to use needle files on the backside of the breech to square it back out so the hammer would work. Actually, the brazing was about the easiest part of the whole process. The hammer spring has a plunger on top and sits in two slots under the grips. Getting that puppy in there was the toughest part--- you have to pry open the side plates, squeeze the hammer spring and plunger, then put it between the slots and let the sides close over it. That took several tries.

I had to use a rasp to put a slight taper on the grip spacer, so I could get it to slide into place without breaking the little tongue of plastic that covers the bottom area right behind the trigger. Then I had to do more work with the needle files to get the pin on the hammer to clear the hole in the breech plate. The trigger spring straddles the trigger and doubles as the spring for the barrel release, so you have to work it into place, then put the pin through the spring and the trigger. Then there's a flat metal piece that keeps the barrel release from moving unless the safety is pushed in. (I had to file one corner of the safety pin to get this to slide over the safety pin, too--- I did many test fittings before I actually used the C-clips to hold the pins in. We used to call those "Jesus Christ clips," because you usually end up saying, "Jesus Christ, where'd that little clip go?")

Last thing was to use a small screwdriver to push the two loose ends of the trigger spring up past the longer hole for the barrel release, and put the release bar in place. Then you use a hammer to press fit the ends on the barrel release. Someone was asking about putting their trigger back in. If you managed to get the trigger out without taking off the release bar, that's going to be really hard to do. I'd order another bar and ends from Excalibur, and use a dremel tool or something to take the old one off. The PDF with the instructions talks about checking the lockup. Mine was really tight, so I didn't have any problems there.

I apologize for hijacking the thread, and for the quality of the pictures. Maybe y'all can consider this a trailer. Now I've got to test fire it!
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on August 19, 2012, 08:07:56 PM
Needles, that looks great!  {?|
Post by: Needles on August 19, 2012, 08:42:42 PM
Oops! I posted the wrong side. This side shows the safety and the little gizmo that keeps you from opening the breech unless the safety is pushed in. {L*
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on October 13, 2012, 07:26:16 AM
Needles, Busy, have you guys shot your guns yet?
Post by: Busyhands94 on October 13, 2012, 07:14:25 PM
Sadly I haven't even got around to building it yet. Don't know how to braze nor do I have a torch to do so with. But I might be able to find someone who can lend me the nessecary equipment to braze the breech and side plates together.
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on October 14, 2012, 08:53:02 AM
Hi Busy, I know what ya mean Bud! I have so many project over here that...well, I'm just too darn lazy to finish them.  )L$
Post by: Needles on October 14, 2012, 11:52:54 AM
I have shot a couple of #6 shot shells through it. The kick is significant, but that was no surprise. Roughly makes a bout a 1 foot pattern at about 15 feet.
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on October 14, 2012, 02:26:11 PM
Needles, have you tried any .45LC ammo yet?
Post by: Needles on October 23, 2012, 06:15:16 PM
I haven't tried the .45LC yet. I'll let y'all know when I locate some and go to the range.
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on December 17, 2012, 03:26:13 PM
Hey! You can now get orange grips for these guns.  ;)
Post by: festusHagan_fan on December 17, 2012, 11:11:11 PM
A buddy of mine picked up one of these derringer kits a good 20 years ago. It was a decent shooter, for what it was intended for. As I recall the bullet holes in the target paper, were more of a keyhole than a circle at about 15-20'....still a nice little pocket gun. He built it, in in just a few hours. I think it was in .45LC if I remember correctly.

Funny, I was just thinking about these kits the other day and wondered if I could find one. I didn't even know you could buy the parts kits "new in the box" anymore.
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on January 02, 2013, 02:20:12 PM
Hi festusHagan_fan, I still see lots of these selling on GunBroker.com
Check them out on there.  ;)
Post by: festusHagan_fan on January 02, 2013, 08:58:37 PM
Yea...I'll have to see if I can find one on GB, if its cheap enough.
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on April 29, 2013, 08:52:08 AM
Hi Guys, any news on shooting this type of gun?
Post by: Busyhands94 on July 16, 2013, 02:26:04 PM
I finished mine yesterday. It took me about two hours but it came out looking decent. :)
(http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/busyhands94/IMG_0161_zpsfc869746.jpg) (http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/busyhands94/media/IMG_0161_zpsfc869746.jpg.html)

People say the trigger pull on these pistols is horrific, but that isn't the case for mine, It's actually got a pretty sweet trigger. :) Other than a little play in this gun it's pretty solid feeling to me.
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on July 17, 2013, 02:08:49 PM
Busy, that looks great! Great job on that!  {?|

Wish mine was back together.  S#+
Post by: Kaeto on July 17, 2013, 02:27:51 PM
Wanna sell yours Sam?
Post by: Busyhands94 on July 17, 2013, 07:12:06 PM
Sam, I think it looks great in the sense that it looks like it does on the box. (?^ IMHO these are quite possibly the ugliest handgun I've ever seen in my entire damn life. :D Despite that it's funnern' hell to shoot! I've put about 50 rounds of #8 Fiocci birdshot through mine.

Two words, HOLD ON. It kicks like a sumbitchin' mule! {?| I loaded some .45 ammo for it using high brass .410 bases with the plastic removed, Pyrodex, and .454 lead balls, these are a lot easier to shoot. Much more pleasant. The ballistics are what I could approach with my wrist rocket, but it's still a fun gun to shoot and plink with and decently accurate.

My guess is the lead balls were about 250-300 FPS. They'd go through both sides of a soup can, but when I fired one at a log round it didn't do much more than give the wood a good dent. From there the .454 ball came back and hit me in the leg, I said "dammit, I've been shot. That didn't feel very good." then kept on shooting. Didn't even bruise me.
Post by: BOOMSTICK BRUCE on July 17, 2013, 07:28:24 PM
busy i have a black powder sxs .44 cobray, i load up 40 grains of 3f and a 454 ball.... its a bit heavy on the recoil but is devastating when fired into a milk jug full of water...
Post by: Busyhands94 on July 17, 2013, 08:01:41 PM
I like those BP Cobray derringers, how accurate are the SXS's? 40 grains sounds like a hefty load, have you fired one with cartridges and if so how does it measure up as far as recoil? I'm going to try and make some sort of paper cartridge system for this gun. I haven't figured it out yet but I'm thinking I could use rolling paper and brass .410 bases.

When I fired a cut shell from mine today, it went right straight through a full 1.5" thick phone book. Cut shells are a heck of a lot of fun! {?|
Post by: BOOMSTICK BRUCE on July 17, 2013, 09:06:36 PM
i used to have a .410/.45 single, the recoil is less on the .44 bp but not by much, the .45colt was the same as the .44 bp is but the .410 loads were.... abusive... still not bad though for a pocket dwelling defensive weapon... i'm pretty sure it could put a traythug down effectively...
Post by: Busyhands94 on July 17, 2013, 09:41:07 PM
I agree with the .410 recoil. The thing is really cool but after 50 rounds I couldn't hear worth a damn and it felt like I had some kind of temporary brain damage, haha!
Post by: BOOMSTICK BRUCE on July 17, 2013, 09:56:36 PM
they make stuff for that, they call them "ear plugs" i hear they work
Post by: Busyhands94 on July 17, 2013, 11:44:05 PM
I wore some of those foam ones. They don't work worth a damn for this pistol! Either that or I need to seat em' deeper in my earholes.
Post by: Classanr on July 18, 2013, 07:07:32 AM

Correct.  Ear plugs vary considerably brand-to-brand, material type, and person-to-person.  Different weapons send out different sound curves.  Where you place the ear plug can make a world of difference.  For instance, I can place a pen cap at a certain location in each ear and totally cancel out apparent sound.  It doesn't actually block sound at all, but it changes the pressure wave in a manner that causes the "remains" of the sound to appear totally silent to my ears.

Nevertheless, sound damage is being made, even though my ears to not register the sound.

You can try the Walmart ear plugs that come with the orange string in a snap case.  These are three sonic discs on a shaft, and depending on how far you insert them, regulate the sound that comes in.  Also, the discs are of different widths, each disc reacting to a different frequency level.  For BP or cannons or sitting next to the kettle drum in the Philharmonic Orchestra, you want that third and largest disc in as far as it will go without causing physical strain.

Then you slap on some muffs, because sound travels equally well through your bones, and can do almost as much damage by bone-crawing past your ear plugs.

Foam plugs are rated based on the presumption that most of the foam is in your ear canal.  That's how they establish their dB rating.  Some foam plugs are a mere 18dB, and no foam plug available to the general public is over 24dB.  The resulting noise that still gets to your ear-bone is still in excess of the safe level, and over a long shooting session, cumulatively cumulatively overworks your nerve endings.  They give up, sometimes never to get working again.

Speaking from experience here.

Classanr
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on July 18, 2013, 09:17:42 AM
Wanna sell yours Sam?
Hi Kaeto, mine has to go through the FFL. It's the .45LC/.410 one. I didn't make this one.
Post by: Kaeto on July 18, 2013, 09:54:28 AM
I know Sam. My dad wants one for shooting snakes. It is a double barrel right?
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on July 18, 2013, 09:59:35 AM
It's a single barrel. I have the longer 18 inch barrel with the black stock for it too.
I'll post up a photo of this gun.
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on July 18, 2013, 10:10:06 AM
(http://i.imgur.com/Ow7VDSq.jpg)
Post by: Kaeto on July 18, 2013, 10:47:18 AM
my dad wants a double.
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on July 18, 2013, 11:01:04 AM
Ah, I see.  (T^
Post by: Busyhands94 on July 21, 2013, 09:53:11 PM
Sam, would you consider selling your stock and barrel? I'd definitely use that for a nice little .410 truck gun! ;)
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on July 22, 2013, 06:53:10 AM
I want to keep them right now but, if I ever do want tp part with them...I'll give you first deal on them.  ;)
You can buy these from Cobray. That's who I bought them from.
Post by: Busyhands94 on July 22, 2013, 12:12:37 PM
I'll see if there is any on Armslist and similar sites, I might be able to pick one up for ridiculously cheap. ])M I love Armslist. :-*
Post by: Delmar on March 01, 2014, 03:03:05 PM
(http://i.imgur.com/Ow7VDSq.jpg)
Hey Sam, did you ever get that thing up and running? I am guessing that the 18" barrel is not rifled, is that correct?
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on March 02, 2014, 09:59:12 AM
Hello Delmar, no...my Baby is still ALL a part.  :-[
The 18" barrel is smooth all the way through.

Are you going to get one of these?
Post by: treadhead1952 on March 05, 2014, 10:19:30 PM
Hi Guys,

I have one of the little double barrel .45/.410 versions of this beastie.  Shooting "Cowboy" type .45 Colt loads in it is all I ever tried with that caliber, it does not seem to be made to be using any sort of hot or heavy loads at all.  With those lighter loads it is not bad at all in the recoil department.  I have tried a couple of different 2 and 1/2 inch .410 loads, one a standard load with #7 shot in it and a specialty load with 3 cylindrical caliber sized slugs and 12 smaller shot around them as a defensive load.  The standard load was just barely more than the "Cowboy" .45 Colt loads.  The specialty loads, Winchester PDX1 Defender Loads showing a velocity of 750 fps are a bit more than either of the other two loads but not overly so.

With a partially rifled/ partially smooth bore barrel on each side, accuracy is not it's strong suit.  At Poker Table ranges it will do, anything further and you are pushing things.  Past 5 yards, as has been noted before, keyholeing with .45 Colt loads is probable and I have seen it happen.  But up close and personal ranges that these are designed for, they do work and with the right load will produce some nasty surprises for any snakes, two legged, four legged and other wise.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/treadhead1952/Leatherwork/PA240004.jpg) (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/treadhead1952/media/Leatherwork/PA240004.jpg.html)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/treadhead1952/Leatherwork/PA240003.jpg) (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/treadhead1952/media/Leatherwork/PA240003.jpg.html)
Post by: chillypepper on March 05, 2014, 11:16:17 PM
I'm glad to see that many of you have found my friend Ricks, Flatspot site to make these, at least as the new guy. I'm currently using some of his "flat ware" to make up a carbine of a little bit different flavor. Ricks good people and deserves a +1 in my book.

As for our resident Steve Earle fan. I got out of high school and went to war to Copperhead Road. though I prefer the post prison bluegrass more. Did you get to see his cameos in Law and order? Was pretty cool to say "holy crap that's Steve Earle".
Post by: Delmar on March 06, 2014, 03:06:44 PM
Hello Delmar, no...my Baby is still ALL a part.  :-[
The 18" barrel is smooth all the way through.

Are you going to get one of these?
I think, at the very least, I need to pick up one of the little single shots. Though the 11" SxS is the one that catches my eye. Perhaps I will build the single and see how that goes.
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on March 06, 2014, 03:12:03 PM
Hello Delmar, no...my Baby is still ALL a part.  :-[
The 18" barrel is smooth all the way through.

Are you going to get one of these?
Delmar, there are some on gunbroker right now.
Post by: Delmar on March 06, 2014, 03:16:27 PM
There is no way I am going to pay and FFL transfer fee for that! When I get one of those it is going to be about doing the build. I would also like to help my son, daughter and grandson plus and other grand kids that come along build one.
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on March 06, 2014, 03:37:05 PM
Delmar, I know what ya mean.  (?^

I want to buy a couple of the "flats" kits but, I can't get a hold of anyone on the phone. Kimmy has called over a dozens times and no one will pick up the phone.  :-[
Post by: Tom-ADC on March 06, 2014, 05:11:49 PM
Sam build the long gun!!
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on March 06, 2014, 05:14:08 PM
I would if I could get a hold the darn people!  .))
Post by: Delmar on March 06, 2014, 06:37:31 PM
Delmar, I know what ya mean.  (?^

Order online and pay with paypal.
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on March 06, 2014, 07:07:26 PM
Hi Delmar, where's the link at that you see this?
Post by: Delmar on March 07, 2014, 07:47:52 PM
Hi Delmar, where's the link at that you see this?
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on October 20, 2014, 07:15:00 PM
Bump!
Post by: mazo kid on October 28, 2014, 09:36:17 AM
I like most all things gun-related, but really have no yearning for one of those. Now, if I wanted one, I would try to build my own rather than pay the $$ for a kit or the transfer fees for a complete gun. Just my two cents worth.
Post by: Kaeto on October 28, 2014, 09:58:39 AM
My dad wants one of the over-under ones to use to shoot snakes with.
Post by: Yankee John on October 28, 2014, 09:40:30 PM
I never knew about these Cobrays until I seen this post.  I've spent the entire evening Google searching these things.

I want to build one too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol

John
Post by: mazo kid on November 11, 2014, 09:01:14 AM
Here is a link to some reasonably priced guns. Of course you will have to deal with the FFL transfer.
Post by: CascadianCool on December 20, 2014, 10:16:38 PM

I want to build one too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol

John

Yep I have just been off on an internet Cobray wander. I figured it was about time to stop when I ended up starting to watch the Cobray M11 videos. LOL
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on May 30, 2015, 06:32:51 PM
BTT
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on August 03, 2015, 08:35:04 AM
Bumpy
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on March 11, 2017, 07:48:10 AM
Anyone get one of these yet?

P.S. mine is still apart.  (?^
Post by: DD4lifeusmc on March 11, 2017, 08:36:29 AM
if it's got more than one moving part you might want Max to show you how to put it together ->i
Post by: BOOMSTICK BRUCE on March 11, 2017, 09:13:26 AM
Anyone get one of these yet?

P.S. mine is still apart.  (?^

sam, you got the double or single barrel kit?
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on March 11, 2017, 09:17:57 AM
DD4....... :P

Bruce, this is not a kit one. It's the single barrel one.

I just don't like the trigger pull on this gun.
Post by: BOOMSTICK BRUCE on March 11, 2017, 09:36:05 AM
ohhh... yeah i have one of those myself...

im still looking for a dbl kit to build...
Post by: Mad Dog Stafford on March 11, 2017, 09:54:59 AM
Bruce, yeah...I wouldn't mind having a double barrel one.
Post by: BOOMSTICK BRUCE on March 11, 2017, 09:56:08 AM
Bruce, yeah...I wouldn't mind having a double barrel one.

i have a dbl in .44 black powder that actually uses 209 primers... im thinking of selling it here shortly...
Post by: Gunslinger9378 on March 11, 2017, 11:59:11 AM
Dear Friends,
             I can't believe that you guys have gone through SEVEN PAGES, over this supremely UGLY PIECE OF CRAP!!!  And that  two, or Three, more of you are contemplating buying one of them.  ALL the guns I own are Things of beauty to me! Of course Three of them ARE Remingtons, and the fourth is a Mountain Man style .50 Cal Rifle!
            However, the, Seven guns rolled into one, that you have been discussing, could never be described as a "Thing of Beauty."
Purely Utilitarian!   I would never want to own one of those Abortions. If one were to be GIVEN to me, I would only own it for as long as it took me to get to a pawn shop, and get rid of it!
                                               To Each HIs Own!!!                 Gunslibger9378
Post by: DD4lifeusmc on March 11, 2017, 01:37:46 PM

Gunslibger9378
Johnnie  you need to chill a bit  you didn't even spell your name right!

I have a lot of tools that one would say are ugly.  but they are utilitarian in purpose.
They have a job to do and ugly or not they do the job well.
In the case of this deringer, for the job it was intended to do "Up close and personal"
I would say it would do the job quite well.
Post by: BOOMSTICK BRUCE on March 11, 2017, 03:21:07 PM
i call them "get the hell off me" guns... not supposed to be pretty, comfortable or well built, they only need to go off once... twice in the case of the double...

and i have fired both of mine before... not something i recommend doing a lot...