Author Topic: New DIY # 11 Perc Cap Maker  (Read 2454 times)

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
New DIY # 11 Perc Cap Maker
« on: November 01, 2016, 08:11:25 PM »
Nobody has seemed to pay it any mind, so I'll be the huckleberry to toss the info that you can git a "diy" # 11 percussion cap maker fer $ 45 (plus the stuffing for $19.99 to make it go off without having to pilfer caps from yer kids toy cap guns procure toy caps from dubious places)!
                                                                                                          Planning on using this fer making plastic percussion caps myself. Washbuster posted a pretty good "how-to" video on cap-filling procedure and it's results (makes it seem easy)!

Think about this thread next time you can't get caps anywhere again!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 07:42:54 PM by old fogey »

Offline Pine Baron

Re: New DIY # 11 Perc Cap Maker
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 08:02:16 AM »
Hmmm. OF, looks like you may have given me a "new" project. (^h
God put the firewood there, but every man must gather and light it himself.

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 01:30:39 PM »
Seen a thread over at another site (Gunslinger Gulch,) where it laid out the process of making percussion caps from scrap milk jugs using a toy vacuum press, and thought it a very good idea for the time (was just coming out of the "Great Cap Drought") to set up and perfect the process myself JIC!

Already got the aluminum pie tin trick down pat, just never cottoned to having to look for those danged toy caps to fill'em with (think I'll like the Prime-All kit better)! Was thinking with the election coming up, was best to be prepared (with one, know we're getting gun control, the other'n is kinda on-off again - but still beats the other, imho)!

With 2 kits, figure I should be able to get the process of "stuffing'em" down pat good enough (whether the "pie-pan" or milk-jug ones,) for daily use should it ever come to that!
                                                                                                     Hard-core believer in the ol' Boy Scout motto: 'Be Prepared"!   ;)

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 07:15:53 AM »
Hi old fogey, thanks for the links. You convinced me that I should keep more caps on hand so I went to Graf and bought some CCI #10 on sale for $0.038/cap, see:
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/28882

BTW, I will never ever buy Remington #10 caps again, they are crap for long term reliability.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 09:02:20 AM »
I plan on getting that Prime-All Kit. Says you can reload up to 2k of .22lr cases.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 06:56:52 PM »
It's just common sense (you've been shooting bp long enough to know that it pays to be able to produce most everything you need (bullets can be hand-cast, primer's can be made same as powder) though it's always a good idea to make hay while there is sunshine (i.e., lay up a stock of whatever you need while it's cheaply and easily had)!

While it's looking more like Hillary's running for the 'Big House' rather than the White House, can't never tell (like I stated earlier, while one's firmly "anti-gun", the other has felt the same way as other before and there isn't any guarantees with either [other than Hillary will take your guns])!

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 05:54:33 AM »
Think I might want to look into that cap making. Thanks fogey. (T^
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 08:42:51 AM »
Ran across this boob-tube video (thought it was kinda neat) so wanted to pass it along (goes along with making your own percussion cap mixture)!
                                                                Also, this is a pretty nifty little "Homemade Primer Course" pdf that you might want to download whilst yer able!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 08:52:24 AM by old fogey »

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 08:31:45 PM »
Told y'all a few days ago that I'd ordered 2 of those "Prime-All" kits, just wanted everyone to know they arrived via "Priority Mail" (decent enough way to send stuff) today. Pretty spiffy service in my guesstimation!

One thing wasn't expecting in the "kits" was a little double-ended dipper (think I'll use a small plastic straw made into a small spoon myself - lacking the spiffy little primer cap spoon Wash Buster made fer himself)! Kinda of a nice little bonus (don't know what I'll use one for, being how have two - but generally find a use fer most things handy like that)!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 04:20:43 PM by old fogey »

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 10:51:42 PM »
Told y'all a few days ago that I'd ordered 2 of those "Prime-All" kits, just wanted everyone to know they arrived via "Priority Mail" (decent enough way to send stuff) today. Pretty spiffy service in my guesstimation!

OOOOOoooohhhhh!

Pictures Please!
Photos! Tintypes, pencil sketches, crayon scrawlings.

please keep us updated on your progress!

yhs
prof (thanks for the links) marvel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 11:56:34 PM »
Made into a sticky.... ;)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 03:34:05 PM »
Fer the pho-tee-graphs and video clips on the mixing and use of the "Prime-All", think I'd have ta defer to the master on that (Wash-Buster)! Don't think I could add anything to what he said in his video (he knows FAR more than I 'bout that "prime-all" - fact is he tried to 'plain it to me long time ago and I was [and am-] to dense to pick up on everything he was saying)!
                                                                      Will post those requested pho-tee-graphs and videos in this thread when I finally commence to gitten my Vac-U-Form toy to work right (or make a better jury-rigged vacuum press) entailing how to make percussion cap hulls outta milk jugs ('less Wash-Buster does it firstest)!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 03:40:00 PM by old fogey »

Offline larry

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 01:01:31 PM »
i will have to look into this.  i like to try things just to see if i can do it.
did it with some paper cartridges, just haven't had a chance to try them out.