Author Topic: looking for a .31 Remmy... question on size...  (Read 3045 times)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: looking for a .31 Remmy... question on size...
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 02:25:23 PM »
Johnnie's back.  (k-
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 03:52:27 PM »
I haven't tried the 31s, but the Colt '62 Police is plenty small, or so I would say, for most kids aged eight and up.  So far I think that besides my Ruger Mk II, back when it was new and I had better eyes, the best five shot group I've fired from any other handgun was with the Uberti Colt Police 36.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 06:03:06 PM »
last time Johnny intervened up here, he had the gun unholstered. And while the "kids" ran off,
the cops confiscated it.
Wonder what would have happened if he actually fired the gun  whether he hit anybody or not?

Arizona is going to be just as iffy and as strict, when a civilian fires his weapon and hits a SUPPOSED perpetrator.
Johnny you better be ABSOLUTELY SURE, that if you don't shoot, the perpetrator is going to shoot / knife somebody.
Or you are the one that will end up behind bars.
Unless you are in an area where there are constant shootings, there is no reason to carry everyday just because you can.
And if you are in that area
1. get out you're too damn old to be playing Bill Hickock or Rambo  frequent safer parts of town
2. you're two old and frail to be trying to get unholstered in a hurry, before a young spry faster moving perpetrator takes that gun away from you.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 09:20:04 PM »
Johnnies’ lookin for it - and god help him if he finds it. Such matters could very well get him spread over three counties.  If it’s not a dire straits emergency then just call a cop – how hard is that? 
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 01:25:24 PM »
Just a cut and paste from my previous post when I chrono'd my Baby Remington.......

Next was the Remington pocket revolver in .31 calibre. The revolver is stock, unaltered.
The powder used here was 11.5 grains of Triple 7 measured out BY WEIGHT on an electronic scale. The projectile was a home cast soft lead round ball at .322” diameter. The powder nearly filled the chambers and the round balls were hammered into the chambers off the gun leaving a good ring of lead shaved off. A very tight fit necessitating loading off the gun with a plastic mallet and brass drift. The caps were RWS 1075 PLUS.

High 956 fps, low 802 fps, average 874 with an extreme spread of 155 fps.

Now I don't know about anybody reading this but I REALLY would not want to get in the way of that.

YES a compact .44 will do the business no question about it......... As per my chrono test on the Navy Yank 3" snub.............

200 grain Lee conical bullet, dry felt wad, charged from the same flask and spout but this time with Triple 7. That weighs out at 21.1 grains. Same volume as the BP but lower powder weight. RWS 1075 plus caps.

High 905 fps, low 811 fps, average 847 fps with an extreme spread of 94 fps. Deadly powerful for sure.

But the baby Remmie just slips in your pocket and when loaded up correctly it WILL get the job done.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2017, 06:29:20 PM »
DD4 and GDog; I do carry every day, not only because I can but because I see it as a civic duty of sorts, because and armed society (with the right attitude) is indeed a more polite society, because I am my brothers' keeper.  In no way am I "looking for it" and in no way would I relish the thought of having to shoot anyone for any reason.  And so I think it comes down to one's state of mind and general "constitution".  In general I believe that if you have the right "constitution", or "aire", about you, then no one will think of making you a target, but that also would require a lot of conversation to explain.  Some people will probably never understand it, and instead take it as my acting like a tough guy or some dumb thing when it's not like that at all. 

I recently for example had someone offer to punch me in the face (because of an on-going, long term disagreement).  I stood there and told him that he could punch me and I wouldn't resist, and then he froze, got all flustered, and walked away cussing to himself.  At no time did it even enter my mind that I was carrying a gun.  It simply wasn't a matter for a gun.  If God is on our side after all, who can oppose us?

That person was an "adversary" (thoughbeit a felonious one who had previously committed an assault against me) and those can be dealt with by a firm, steadfast constitution.  Real enemies; those you might have to shoot.  One way you might tell the difference is; the adversary will TELL you he's going to mess you up, whereas the enemy will do it.  I've twice been tested by adversaries and both times I merely stood my ground, and would have taken the blows willingly, and they both knew it and did nothing (one became a dear friend on the spot).  The adversay wants to provoke you.  Don't give him his way.  The enemy is already in the fight-- Give him more in return than he can handle.  Telling the difference is a very subtle matter, hard to put into words.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 07:09:26 PM »
That is very well stated Omni and insightful too.  I believe I understand your ideas and agree 100%.  Churchill made the point once that God gave us life strictly on the proviso that we honor and protect it, both for ourselves and others.  Keeping prepared to meet exigencies, here below, is a part of that obligation. Armed sound judgement with good intentions is part of our duty as citizens and a noble thing.
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline AZshooter

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2017, 11:11:03 PM »
I get a kick out of all the replies from those who seem to insist that you gotta have a bigger gat to defend yerself.  The OP already gave his reasons for wanting the little .31, yet he's gotta hear about getting something bigger & badder instead.

I'm beginning to think that some of the self-defense-black-powder-only-carry advocates must be former felons or folks prohibited from carrying more modern firearms.  Is this a correct assumption of some of you?

I'm looking into getting a little Rem .31 & I'm a-gonna carry it - all the way from the car to the shooting bench.  If I want self protection, I've got a bevy of compact 9mm's and .45 ACP's to choose from, so don't worry about MY safety.  I've also already got other cap & ball revolvers in both Colt and Remington flavors.

I've read enough from the naysayers already.  If you have some favorable comments about that 'waay too little .31' post away _l

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2017, 10:33:21 PM »
The .31 Remmies are sweet little revolvers, but the specimen I had sported a trigger pull that was horrendous. Once it is disassembled and the trigger issues cleaned up, one still has the tiny little grip. I myslef much prefer the little Colt .31 as it is easier fro me to "tune" and I find the grip to be far more comfortable.

yhs
prof marvel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2017, 10:42:15 AM »
I get a kick out of all the replies from those who seem to insist that you gotta have a bigger gat to defend yerself.  The OP already gave his reasons for wanting the little .31, yet he's gotta hear about getting something bigger & badder instead.

I'm beginning to think that some of the self-defense-black-powder-only-carry advocates must be former felons or folks prohibited from carrying more modern firearms.  Is this a correct assumption of some of you?

I'm looking into getting a little Rem .31 & I'm a-gonna carry it - all the way from the car to the shooting bench.  If I want self protection, I've got a bevy of compact 9mm's and .45 ACP's to choose from, so don't worry about MY safety.  I've also already got other cap & ball revolvers in both Colt and Remington flavors.

I've read enough from the naysayers already.  If you have some favorable comments about that 'waay too little .31' post away _l

Yeah I get where you are coming from. The little Remingtons are certainly not the best choice for defence if you have a better option, like a Glock 26 !

But in the context of the original question posted, when loaded in the manner I do with mine as described above for plinking and target fun they shoot so much better. More accurate and they make a bigger boom that adds to the fun. My nickle plated one is a breeze to clean when using Triple 7.

Offline Calibre32

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2017, 04:49:59 AM »
Here are a couple of originals..............Jim
I was here and you are not, now you are here and I am not