Author Topic: Pics of XIX Replica Arms Company Walker 1963  (Read 1037 times)

Offline cap and baller

Pics of XIX Replica Arms Company Walker 1963
« on: April 21, 2017, 07:32:14 AM »
Been messing around with the XIX Replica Arms Co Walker and it is something to behold.  It grabs all the attention in the room and is a fun conversational talking point (especially for the gals who've seen True Grit/JaneGG).  Gonna shoot this beauty when I have a chance so I can figure out how to hold it LoL.  Its got all the markings except for who actually made the thing so its a toss up between a few companies.  Most likely its an Armi San Marco which is just dandy.  I wont be doing too many full load charges and they'd be 2F not 3F Goex as I have read that issues may arrive.  Here are some pictures of it and size comparisons!

Offline sourdough

Re: Pics of XIX Replica Arms Company Walker 1963
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 08:13:36 AM »
If the date code is XIX and is marked Replica Arms El Paso Texas, it is most assuredly made by ASM even if no ASM logos are on the pistol.

I have a Replica Arms El Paso Texas 1848 Pocket Model .31 with the same date code (1963) that has been confirmed by Dr. Jim L. Davis http://rprca.tripod.com/

to be manufactured by ASM. 1963 is also the first date of manufacture for the ASM/Replica Arms association.

Regards,

Jim

Offline KapundBall

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 08:27:23 AM »
Both remarkable revolvers!  The 460 S&W is an excellent modern companion to the Walker. Enjoy.
I recently mentioned to a friend that I was getting more interested in Black Powder. He said, "What, like Malcolm X and the Black Panthers?"

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 10:58:43 AM »
Undoubtedly an ASM and there should be a mark somewhere.   ASM used an "A" with the bottom part of the A forming a small "M".   It can be hard to see and often isn't stamped well.  Sometimes it ends up under the trigger guard. 
There is small faction of people who collect Replica Arms from the period when they were in El Paso before they moved to Marietta Ohio.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 11:13:01 AM »
I have seen ASM's with no more markings than an A prefix to the serial number.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 01:06:01 PM »

New info for me.  It seems I've always been able to find a mark if I suspect that it's an ASM.   Good to know they sent some out without a markings.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 02:51:17 PM »

New info for me.  It seems I've always been able to find a mark if I suspect that it's an ASM.   Good to know they sent some out without a markings.

The ones without were probably kit guns.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 03:41:49 PM »
Maybe so.  I know that a lot of kit guns were sent out without any marks at all,  not even proof marks.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 09:55:15 PM »
Nice find.  I note the round cylinder lock notches, whereas the current Uberti Walker has oval notches.

I'm convinced that the stories about Walkers loosening up under full house loads come from guns with short arbors, which can batter themselves due to the loose fit between barrel and frame.  There's pretty scant contact surface area between the wedge and barrel, and the wedge steel isn't very hard, and so a little "jangling" between the parts could easily result in peening.

Before I ever fired the gun, I shimmed my Uberti Walker arbor so the wedge can be tapped in tight and not jam the barrel against the cylinder.  That provides a consistent and repeatable cylinder gap and barrel-to-frame angle, with no (or greatly reduced) movement during the violence of firing.  I've fired a couple hundred rounds with 45 and 50 grain charges of Olde Eynsford 3F powder (more energetic than regular Goex, and close to Swiss) with 200, 225 and 240 grain bullets and no sign of loosening has yet become observable.  I'm confident I could shoot those loads, or a sixty grain 3F charge with a round ball, for years and years and not have a problem.  I don't know about an ASM, but the Uberti can handle it once it's been fit proper.

Anyway; that's my observation so far, and others have tried this and concur.  It may change over time, maybe.

It just depends on what you want to do with it.  The Uberti is readily replaced, and so I didn't feel there was a lot to lose by experimenting with it, plus I wanted to see what a chamber that size could do with the 9" barrel.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 03:51:08 PM »
them are some fine guns you have there cap and baller. (T^
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline B. P. Roscoe

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 05:37:04 PM »
I like that Walker!  (the others too...  :) )
Death to any and all who would bring war against my country...
www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/sherman/sherman-to-burn-atlanta.html

Offline cap and baller

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 07:07:22 AM »
Thanks for the replies and input everyone!  Still haven't taken it out yet due to work picking up a tad {L*.  That may change today though.

Offline LonesomePigeon

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 07:19:58 PM »
Omni, I think what you say about the arbor is true. Additionally, I think the cylinder gap needs to be small. It just makes sense to me that if the cylinder gap is large then the cylinder slamming against the forcing cone could batter the gun loose over time.