Author Topic: Lubed over powder wad/ filler  (Read 1390 times)

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Lubed over powder wad/ filler
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2017, 07:27:13 PM »
the idea of blowing down the barrel is actually a carry over from front stuffer rifles
here it had two purposes
1 extinguish any left over sparks before reloading
     (alternatively one could blow through the nipple instead)

2  arguably soften the fouling making it easier to reload. ( no proof from me that it worked)

here's a movie   oops    Tom Selleck in Quigley.   after firing at the bucket several times. he stops and blows
in to the chamber like one would into the nipple. Problem?  the chamber was closed and no nipple as it was a cartridge gun. was useless act.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Bishop Creek

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2017, 08:56:40 PM »
This is someone’s photo that illustrates Johnnie’s point of lube grooves on a Remington cylinder pin.  I have never tried this.

I had a gun smith put the grooves in one of my Remingtons cylinder pins a number of years ago and it really does work G Dog. Lube it and 100 shots in a row with no cylinder pin binding.

EDIT: I should ad that I live in a very dry climate with 5% humidity being the norm in the Summer months.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 09:38:59 PM by Bishop Creek »

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2017, 09:39:13 PM »
Dear Friends.
            The two Cylinder pins shown in the photo's, were obviously taken of ones that had been fitted to an Eight Inch Barrelled Revolver.  All my three are sheriff's Models, and as we all know, the Pin cannot be removed from the gun unless you also take out the Loading lever Catch.  I didn't want to go to all that trouble.  My loading lever catches are NOT Dovetailed in.  They appear to be fastene3d in the same way as the front sight!  So all I have been able to do, (So Far!) is to take a triangular File, and work on putting three of four triangular grooves in the upper surface of the rounded part of the pin. I do not have a vice, so the end result is not very pretty.  However, Pretty Is as Pretty Does,So I shall have to wait a day or two, and go out into the desert once more, and see if there is any Improvement in the fouling of the pin! Or to be more precise, the LACK of fouling on the pin, and subsequent Stiffness of the Cocking action, after a Few rounds!(Or Hopefully, a LACK of Stiffness!!!)   Although there is a lot of esoteric Junk lying around this place, I have yet to come across a vice!   And I am wary of attempting too much, "Alterations on my Triplets," when I think of some of the awful Foul-Ups I have been responsible for in the past!  (I have never been particularly adept with either Carpentry, or Metalworking Tools!!!) They say it is a wise man who knows his limitations! 
                                                                                                 Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2017, 10:30:03 PM »
Johnnie; on the sheriff models all that is needed is a little Lubriplate 650AA on the pin before you start, then every third cylinder or so wipe it clean and reapply.
Using this method allowed me to shoot 150+ shots one hot July afternoon with zero binding or buildup. It's important for these models for as you noted, the pin doesn't come out without removing the latch or knuckling it in the middle so it hinges (seen it done once; pretty cool) An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. Try it, you won't regret it.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2017, 06:02:51 PM »
Dear Friends,
            I agree totally with Hawg, when he stated that he did not think it could be easier to clean a gun, than to use water.  I hereby Heartkly Verify his statement, for when I return from a shooting session, the first thing I do is field strip the guns, Place all filthy Cylinders in the special Saucepan kept for this very purpose, cover them with water, and activate the hotplate until the water boils. I then turn down the heat a little, so the cylinders gently simmer for about five minutes.  Then I take them out of the water, and place them on the draining board to dry.  All the water evaporates before the cylinders are cold enough to touch with the naked hand!
            Then I clean the bores!  This task is simplicity itself. I  turn on the hot water Faucett, wait until the water is running a little too hot for me to put my hand under the stream, then with the muzzle's pointing slightly downward, I put the pistols one by one under the stream of water, so the water enters the barrel's at theforcing cone, and exits at the muzzle.  EACH GUN THEN BEGINS TO EJECT A STREAM OF DIRTY WATER, FOR ABOUT A COUPLE OF SECONDS,Then the water runs from the muzzle's CLEAN. A Clean white patch is then passed through each barrel, and comes out slightly damp, BUT CLEAN!  Examination of the interior of the barrels with the aid of a Dental Mirror, always shows them to be mirror bright and spotless!
            The cylinders, dry almost at once, for pieces of steel that have been immersed in boiling water for over five minutes, get very warm indeed!  They quickly evaporate any traces of H2O that remain in any small crevices, and by the time they are cool enough to be handled by the naked hand, they are as dry as Dear Old Noah's Bones!  I pass a slightly oily patch down the barrels,  then wipe any powder fouling from the frame and the exteriors of the barrels of all three Revolvers!  This completes the cleaning process of the guns. It then only remains to Reload all the fired cylinders,
            Because certain guns exhibit a tendency to have slight Hang-Fires,when loaded with just Pure Pyrodex, I first put ten grains of Holy Black in the bottom of each chamber!  Since NOTHING ignites as readily as Holy Black, this takes care of the Hang-fire problem!  I then visually check with a small flashlight, that there IS ten grains in EVERY CHAMBER!!  I then take six Pyrodex Pellets, and pop them into the six chambers, on top of the holy Black! Tthen take six balls, (.457 Caliber!)and since I reload all my cylinders OFF the gun, I then use my .50 Caliber Rifle Short Starter, to drive the balls down onto the Duplex!  Now I  USED to fill what space remained with my 50% X 50% mix of Beeswax and Olive Oil!  BUT this time I decided to reduce the amount of lube, and with a Q-Tip liberally smear some of the lube around the edges of the balls as they sat in the loaded chambers. The former method of filling what space remained in each chamber with the lube, DID result in somewhat Messy Targets, as the Lube
got plastered All over the  gun, and needed wiping off after each Cylinder had been fired! The target frequently had additional holes in it, caused by the caliber-sized dollops of lube, that had penetrated the targets!  This load is the one I carry in my Betsina,(My Favorite Carry Gun.) This load  is "Quite Stout!!!"  In fact the recoil is such, that the first time I touched it off, The gun and my right arm, rose upward until my right arm was at approximately 45 degrees from the Horizontal!  I admit that I brought my arm down slowly, and carefully examined Betsina.( To make sure that all of her was still there!!!)  It is a load that will most definitely, "Get your Attention.  It emerges from the muzzle at approximately 950 fps. (Which Aint Hay!)  Hits what it meets with about 286 Foot pounds of kinetic energyu. and so I christened it, ("The Medical Examiner's Special!") Because I am almost certain, that should I ever have to defend my life,(Or the life of another)  With this load, the the only Doctor who will ever attend the unfortunate Fellow, WILL BE the Medical Examiner! (At the poor Fellow's Autopsy!)     
            Now in the literature that Hogden supply with each box of these pellets, they advise not to crush the pellets when loading them.  This I ignore, and slap the balls home into the chambers with a, Bloody Great Rubber Mallet!   The load is exhilerateing to fire! Feels like you've just set off a Cruise Missile with your own two Sweaty little Hands!!   

Gunslinger9378

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:55:52 PM by Gunslinger9378 »

Offline B. P. Roscoe

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2017, 08:42:28 PM »
Dear Friends.
            The two Cylinder pins shown in the photo's, were obviously taken of ones that had been fitted to an Eight Inch Barrelled Revolver.  All my three are sheriff's Models, and as we all know, the Pin cannot be removed from the gun unless you also take out the Loading lever Catch.  I didn't want to go to all that trouble.  My loading lever catches are NOT Dovetailed in.  They appear to be fastene3d in the same way as the front sight!  So all I have been able to do, (So Far!) is to take a triangular File, and work on putting three of four triangular grooves in the upper surface of the rounded part of the pin. I do not have a vice, so the end result is not very pretty.  However, Pretty Is as Pretty Does,So I shall have to wait a day or two, and go out into the desert once more, and see if there is any Improvement in the fouling of the pin! Or to be more precise, the LACK of fouling on the pin, and subsequent Stiffness of the Cocking action, after a Few rounds!(Or Hopefully, a LACK of Stiffness!!!)   Although there is a lot of esoteric Junk lying around this place, I have yet to come across a vice!   And I am wary of attempting too much, "Alterations on my Triplets," when I think of some of the awful Foul-Ups I have been responsible for in the past!  (I have never been particularly adept with either Carpentry, or Metalworking Tools!!!) They say it is a wise man who knows his limitations! 
                                                                                                 Gunslinger9378.

Alcohol or tobacco works for me.   ->i
Death to any and all who would bring war against my country...
www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/sherman/sherman-to-burn-atlanta.html

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2017, 10:26:11 PM »

Alcohol has always worked well for me also... _LL
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2017, 10:47:42 PM »
"I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me." - Winston Churchill

Johnnie, when you say that you "field strip the guns", do you mean that you remove the cylinders?

How often do you disassemble and clean the action parts?

« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 10:58:45 PM by G Dog »
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2017, 03:48:27 PM »
Dear G-Dog,
            I only do a really thorough Clean, where I remove Trigger Hammer Bolt & Trigger springs, et al: about once every two or three years.  I decided on this one day after I had observed that the insides of the frame seemed to be packed with black Gunk!  So I took EVERYTHING OUT. I discovered that it was indeed Black Gunk!  However it was also OILY BLACK GUNK!  The parts, when this substance was removed from them, turned out to be remarkably free from rust or any other form of detrimental thing!  So I decided that as long as the action did not become too stiff, to cock the piece with comfort, I would leave well alone!
            For every time one totally dismantles a revolver, there is the possibility that some small shiny piece, will attract the ATTENTION OF ONE OF THE CATS, who in turn will think what a delightfully bright shiny thing, Master has provided me to play with!
            So unless I happen to be somewhere, where there is a powerful Air Compressor, and the majority of the Black Gunk can be forcefully thus expeled, I intend to leave well alone, until I need both thumbs to cock the revolver!  At this time all three actions are smooth and silky in their operation, and shooting Duelist mode, I was able to get a fourteen inch group on a Metalic Target, at between 100 and 130 yards distance!  My Arthritis has progressed to the point when walking on deep sand is no longer very pleasant, and the longer the stride I have to take, the more uncomfortable I am. From where I was standing to the Metalic Target LOOKED to be about 100 yards. I started counting my paces, but had to alter course occasionally because I wasn't going to try and hack my way thru the middle of a large Mesquite Bush! So certain detours had to be made!  I tried to be as fair as possible.   The Metallic target LOOKED to be at least 100 yards, but I still had to walk aways before I got right up to it.
I cannot honestly say that it wasn't 150 yards from where I was shooting from, beside where the car was parked!  I also was unable so see  a  quite  large Wadi, which ran crosswise twixt where the car was parked, and where the Metallic Target was!  So to be fair, I guessed as accurately as I was able, and beleive that the target was at least 130 yards from where I was standing when I fired. BUT I may have been mistaken abut this, so I have always said,"Between 100 And 130 yards.  I shot at the Target with all three revolvers. I hit with all six rounds with Betsina,  Fired all six from the other two guns, but missed twice with Sophia, and Once with Clementina!  I could always be sure of a hit, because when the balls hit the Metallic Target, I could clearly hear the  CLANG, which was very loud.  When I examined the target, there were fifteen leaden splashes on the target when I examined it, and I had heard Fifteen clangs while shooting.
            I was of course, unable to tell which of the marks on the target were from which gun!  Since all were loaded identically, with my,"Medical Examiner Special Load, which is ten grains of Holy Black(Goex.) and a 30 grain (It Sez "Ere!) Pyrodex Pellet. (Which has a lot more OOoommph, that 30 grains of loose Pyrodex.  I THINK it was Richard who has weighed some of these pellets, and I THINK,(?) he said they weighed between 14 & 15 grains? ( BUT, they ARE Mucho Fuerte!!)
            By the way, I have always disregarded Hogdens advice about not crushing the pellet!  I smack my balls home with a LARGE sized Rubber Mallet! Home depot, just under 5 Bucks I believe?  WHEN HE CHRONOGRAPHED THIS LOAD, RICHARD DID not CRUSH THE PELLET, and whether this would have meant a faster or slower result I cannot say. My knowledge of Interior Ballistics being sadly lacking!  I do know that the very first time I touched this load off, The Revolver climbed up until my arm was roughly 45 degrees from the Horizontal, and I remember bringing Betsina down slowly, and checking her over to make sure that all of her was still there!!!  Thankfully she WAS ALL THERE, and she and her two Sisters have since then digested well over one hundred each of this load, without the slightest ill effects! All three revolvers are as tight and solid as the day I purchased them from Cabela's!  I cannot say a thing against Uberti's, but I can vouch for the excellence of the Pietta Remington's!  They are very good, Strong Revolvers! 
            I have never been much of a Target Shot!  I prefer to shoot Stout Loads!  Loads that let you know that you have just loosed something momentous!  Loads that you need Ear Plugs AND Ear Muffs  for!!    So if you ever go hunting Wild Boar with a handgun, use a Remington New Model Army, and Johnnie Roper's, "Medical Examiner's Special Load!"  It will get the Job Done! In Spades!
                                                                                                    Gunslinger9378.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 06:03:21 PM by Gunslinger9378 »

Offline B. P. Roscoe

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2017, 09:31:15 PM »

Alcohol has always worked well for me also... _LL

I didn't think it was even necessary to mention gambling and fast women.   ;)
Death to any and all who would bring war against my country...
www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/sherman/sherman-to-burn-atlanta.html

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2017, 07:29:10 PM »
just punched 200 wads from an old hat, lubed/chilled/separated them, and tinned them for tomorrow morn........took about 1.5 hrs at a leisurely pace.
with 1.9cc (+/- 32 gr.) FFF Goex and .454 RB  I get good accuracy and no fouling build up.
Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !