Photobucket

Author Topic: Cross Draw, Butt Forward?  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
Re: Cross Draw, Butt Forward?
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2017, 02:57:13 AM »
One slight drawback on the spin-draw is the hammer cannot be safely cocked until the barrel is all the way up.  So, with spin-draw, the gun comes up to firing position, then gets cocked.
What I was taught is to cock the hammer as the hand is pulling the gun from the holster.
Wait, the demo has the hand already on the gun.
In the quick-draw shootout, hands have to start at the side.
Oh, well, it's all for flash and show.

It seems to me that the over-hand draw (wrist making the flip horizontally) allows the hammer to be cocked while the gun is being brought into position, allowing for a trigger pull sooner.
On the other hand, the wrist twist does cause the muzzle to cover the body, and it is possible for a guy to put himself out of commission.  This is probably why the butt-fwd over-hand draw is banned in some quick-draw competitions.

A really good gunner is going to start the hammer cock just after the barrel clears his belly.  It will be fully cocked when in position.  A really bad gunner is going to leak his lunch on the range.

Bruce, this video was posted about two years ago.  You probably perused it at the time, learned the technique in your sleep, and when you awoke you just "knew how to do it" (like Snipes in Demolition Man).

Really cool that you can!
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Sheriff Langston

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2017, 10:11:49 AM »
Oddly I'm finding that I'm slowly, but surely, changing from strong side butt back to angled cross draw.
Even stranger is that I'm also doing this with everything, not just older B/P pistols. It started with them because I use a belt pouch as a shooting bag & it makes more sense to have that on the strong side, so its more accessible to reload cap & ball, so the holster had to move to the cross draw, but its progressed to being everything.
"In this world there's two kinds of people my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."
“Blondie”

Offline Kaeto

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Official Mad Dog Nose Tweaker.
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2017, 10:53:28 AM »
“The path of the warrior is difficult! We live to protect those who cannot protect themselves! Honour in serving! Honour in defending! Honour in dying for a just cause!”

"A knight is sworn to valor; his heart knows only virtue; his might upholds the weak; his word speaks only truth, and his wrath undoes the wicked."

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2017, 11:55:13 AM »
So, once Mike's barrel clears his leg, he could be pulling the hammer back, ready to fire when the barrel gets into shooting position.
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2017, 01:30:58 AM »
For 7.5 and 8 inch barrels a cross draw works great and is my preferred method.  In the case of shorter barreled weapons, like my 5.5 Remington, I go a strong side carry with butt pointed back.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 02:27:58 AM by G Dog »
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline BlackpowderJim

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2017, 05:07:32 PM »
UPDATE: I got the cross draw holster from Steve at sdcaugheyleather.etsy.com and it is a beauty! The next one I order will be for the 1858 Remington. Here are some pictures. For $49.00, you can't beat it. Nicely tooled and tightly sewn, it fits the 1860 Colt like a glove.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2017, 05:57:10 PM »
Nice looking holster but the gun should really sit deeper into it. It looks like it's worth the money tho.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Omnivore

• Forum Legend
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2017, 06:41:27 PM »
Yeah, that gun should go in at least another inch.  Should be easy enough to accomplish by wet-forming.

Offline BlackpowderJim

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2017, 09:43:11 PM »
Yeah, that gun should go in at least another inch.  Should be easy enough to accomplish by wet-forming.

I didn't have the gun pushed down far enough, easily fixed, and yes, darn well worth the money.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2017, 10:09:16 PM »
Much better.  With that shield and belt it's up there in top rig category now.  Very nice leather.
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.