Author Topic: Uberti Remington Carbine at Local Gun shop  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Uberti Remington Carbine at Local Gun shop
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 03:35:14 PM »
I think you'll like it a lot.  The carbine is a hoot.  I shoot mine only in the percussion form, and you'll benefit from the lack of cap splatter in your face.  I'd still recommend getting a percussion cylinder for it, so long as your conversion setup will allow easy swapping between cylinder types.

Offline smitty

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 05:55:08 PM »
It is a .45 Colt cylinder in the carbine.  Might trade it, sell it or keep it.  {L*

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 07:01:08 AM »
It is a .45 Colt cylinder in the carbine.  Might trade it, sell it or keep it.  {L*

i still have that walker and pocket police...
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline smitty

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 09:52:50 AM »
Hmmm I'm thinkin about those revolvers Bruce. Going to pick that carbine up today on my way to work. Throw some pics on here soon if I can figure out how to do it.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 10:57:07 AM »
Let me know....
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline smitty

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 10:56:09 AM »
Stopped in to pick up my carbine on way to work yesterday. The guy had me fill out ATF form. I asked why its blackpowder. He says its been converted we have to do it right. I said last week we agreed on 400 out the door no tax no paperwork. Anyway he makes the call and says it might be a while. I said I'M going to work see ya. Going to call him shortly and make sure he has paperwork ready to go when I get there today. Didn't think these blackpowder guns even with a conversion cylinder had to be tracked. Any thoughts?

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 11:09:46 AM »
yes and no, if he were to sell the gun with no cylinder and sell the cylinder separately, no paperwork is needed, with the cylinder in the gun it makes a "modern" firearm and needs to go through a nics check. if your were to do the trade with me, to get away from the hassle of an ffl transfer, ship the two in separate packages to stay legal...

when i buy my guns and conversion cylinders down at taylors, i buy the gun first then the cylinder on separate transaction therefore i did not buy a modern firearm, all i bought is a black powder revolver and then afterwards i bought a "part"...

the whole nics/ffl transfer process IMO is a waste of time and resources. if a bad guy wants a gun, he'll get a gun, all the b.s. that is involved with buying and selling guns does is make a possibility that some poor law abiding citizen/ffl holder will accidentally screw up the process and become a criminal and get caught up in that trap and lose their rights and freedoms...

your local crack dealer doesnt care about police, laws, jail, etc and will act accordingly...
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 12:03:03 PM »
yep been saying that for a long time.
Once that conversion cylinder is in the gun, it is now considered modern and subject to all the FFL  restrictions.
So if you cross a jurisdictionary boundary (county, state) and is illegal conceal carry there and you're stopped
you in trouble.  If for some reason you aren't allowed to own a gun, yep big trouble.
Whereas a plain old C& B BP  probably not so much trouble.

So yeah ask the clerk to make two separate transactions.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 12:11:43 PM »
Hi smitty, the seller could have removed the conversion cylinder and then handed you the carbine and the cylinder not installed. Then there would be no ATF issues.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 03:36:43 PM »
Yeah, never make the mistake of believing that gun restrictions are about fighting crime, or enhancing "public safety" or any of that nonsense.  Those are the selling points, the lies, the "spoonful of sugar" that makes the "medicine" of authoritarianism go down.  The only purpose of gun restrictions, ever, has been to fight YOU; the law-abiding, liberty-loving American.

In the broader picture, it is a war against Judeo/Christian Civilization.  De-emphasizing, and eventually eliminating, the protections of the American second amendment is just one little front in that war, but it's a pretty important one for authoritarians.  They all hate it precisely because it puts the lie to their claims of authority, their ideal of Central Planning and so on.  The second amendment, more than anything else, recognizes the fact that the true power (politically speaking) lies in the hands of the individual citizen, acting on his own for his and his family's and community's own benefit, buy his own discernment and judgment, guided by Judeo/Christian principles (essentially embodied in the Ten Commandments).  NOTHING on Earth will piss off an authoritarian more than that ideal, and so they'll forget all their differences to go after you, and then, once they've taken care of you, they'll resume killing each other later.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2017, 06:55:49 PM »
For what it is worth,
            I had a Remington Carbine, and did not really enjoy shooting it, The darned thing spat little bits of cap or crud in my face each time it,"Went Orf!"  I came to the realisation that was why they never made too many, because the Winchester (1866?) came out about the same time, and this was a far better design!  Remington didn't make very many of then I believe, and I don't like haveing to wear a neckerchief pulled up over my face when I shot the damned thing! So I was quite happy to get rid of it!  It was very accurate, but it defnately needed stern concentration, due to the stinging sensation one gets all over the face when you shoot it.  I'd never own another!
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Bishop Creek

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2017, 07:24:28 PM »
Stopped in to pick up my carbine on way to work yesterday. The guy had me fill out ATF form. I asked why its blackpowder. He says its been converted we have to do it right. I said last week we agreed on 400 out the door no tax no paperwork. Anyway he makes the call and says it might be a while. I said I'M going to work see ya. Going to call him shortly and make sure he has paperwork ready to go when I get there today. Didn't think these blackpowder guns even with a conversion cylinder had to be tracked. Any thoughts?

As mentioned above, with the conversion cylinder it is now a cartridge gun. "Black powder" has nothing to do with it. The key word is "muzzle loader" for a non FFL gun. My Uberti 1873 Winchester rifle was originally made as a black powder gun in the 1870s , that used cartridges which is why I had to go through a FFL to buy it. If they made a smokeless powder muzzle loader (which they don't) you wouldn't have go through an FFL to purchase.