Photobucket

Author Topic: New knife  (Read 1582 times)

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
New knife
« on: November 22, 2016, 11:17:42 PM »
I just took possession of this knife from my Uncle.   He has been making knives for a long-long time now.   Lately his work has been suffering some as he gets older.   He celebrated his 85th birthday a couple days ago, so his hands are not as steady and his eyesight is not as good as in his younger years.   We just learned last month he has developed cancer that is moving through his bones pretty quickly.   I have always looked up to him as an expert outdoorsman and experienced hunter.   He ran his own outfitting business for many years.   Anyway I bought the knife from him figuring it would be my last chance to own another piece of his work.    It's not much but it was made by the hands of an admirable person. 

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
Re: New knife
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 12:28:45 AM »
..... It's not much but it was made by the hands of an admirable person. 

My Good Mike -
that is one beautiful piece of work!
not much?
your talent for understatement is only exceeded by your own excellent work.

yhs
prf mvl
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 07:06:56 AM »
Fantastic keepsake there, Mike!
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 01:18:39 PM »
Nice stuff Mike!
Damask steel, wow,
is it sintered powder metal or the real twisted layers?
(sheath is OK, too)

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 01:52:11 PM »
A beautiful piece and well acquired.  That leather does it some justice, too.  Good on you Mike.
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 02:35:08 PM »
I can only echo what the others have said....VERY nice keepsake!

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 06:16:38 PM »
Not much, indeed! (^h
That's a gorgeous example of clean, simple lines and straightforward craftsmanship, as is the sheath. I would be proud to own anything like that!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 07:09:25 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone.   By "not much" I mean just a little 3 inch blade and a simple antler handle.   I've been looking at some blingy knives on knife making forums lately.   Seems knife making is getting to be sorta like Tiffany grips on an old Colt SAA.
Thanks Again.

Offline snake-eyes

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Erin Go Bragh
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 10:21:32 AM »
Mike,
       3" - 6" - or a foot, art is still art. That is a beauty. Wish I knew him!
snake-eyes  )&&
Member: NRA
Member: Columbus Muzzleloading Gun Club
Co-Founder and charter member: Traditional M/L Ass.
www.TraditionalMuzzleloadingassociation.com
If you come to a fork in the road,take it! Yogi Berra

Ever wonder who God roots for in a religious war??

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 03:59:46 PM »
Always have had a softness for the innate beauty of damascus! Pretty knive!

Offline western196611

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 08:14:36 AM »
Great skinning knife there Mike, will be a awesome keepsake for years and years!
I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Offline sltm1

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 10:21:57 AM »
You both do great work...must run in the family !!!
Life's tough...it's tougher when yer stupid !!

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 04:43:39 PM »
Thanks from both of us.   Loke (my Uncle) is still hangin in there.  Chemo sucks for him but he deals with it.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 05:13:38 PM »
Dear Friends,
            I am not a great fan of knives!  For one thing I never ever learned to fight with a knife.  My very first Law Enforcement Chief,
Constable R.J.Stanly of Towmshp 5C, Little Rock, Arkansas, once offered to teach me this skill.  So on the appointed Saturday Morning, I appeared at his house, and he let me through to his backyard. Then he disappeared, to re-appear with a pair of Rubber knives!  The first words he spoke to me, made me realize that I ealy did not WANT to learn hoe to fight with a knife!  For he said: "Now Johnnie, the first thnig you have to realize is, that if you fight someone with a knife, you're gonna get cut!" All the enthusiasm I had built up, evaporated in an instant!  I told him that if that was the case, if someone was to come at me with a blade, I would shoot the Son-of-a-Bitch!  I have always been scared Spitless of Knives! I have stopped four bullets during my life, and NONE OF THEM HURT!  And by the time they DID begin to hurt, I was in a Hospital or Sick Quarters, where Medical Personnel were on hand to take care of the pain!!!
            Due to Politics, there are no longer any Constables in the State of Arkansas.  The Pulaski County Sheriff's Dept, became jealous of the constables, and with a Constitutional Ammendment, caused the Office to cease to exist!!  I have always thought this was a mistake, as as far as I am concerned, the MORE POLICE OFFICERS we have on the streets, THE BETTER! But the Sheriff at that time was Primarily a Politician.  He did some good things, even a little Radical, but Tommy Robinson was a Politician first, and a Police Officer Second!  He only lasted one term as Sheriff, and then moved on to loftier circles!  When R.J. Stanley became the local Constable, he at his own expense, went through the Arkansas Law Enforcement Academy at Camden, and graduated within the first three officers in his class.   He once showed me his class notebook! On the first page, all that was on it were the letters: A.C.Y.A.  When I looked at him blankly, he explained that they stood for, Always Cover Your Ass!  This was
aparently the most important thing that a L.E.O. should learn!!! (At least as far as THAT instructor was concerned!)
                                                                                               Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 05:42:22 PM »
Like many (most) here, I’ve always been interested in edged weapons but I totally agree with Johnnie:  Pass on a knife fight.  I’ll follow his advice to the letter and bring a gun to any of that sort of dust-up and just “shoot the sumbitch”.

You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.