1858 remington forum

Author Topic: ruger only loads  (Read 7180 times)

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
ruger only loads
« on: February 08, 2016, 04:57:50 PM »
can you fire "ruger only" .45colt loads through a converted ROA?
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
Re: ruger only loads
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 05:31:28 PM »
My Dear Bruce,
            I would have thought that having had one gun blow up, that you'd be more cautious about Pushing The Envelope!  Why not just keep to sensible loads,and not try to get,"The Quart Out Of Tthe Pint Pot!"  t can only lead to regretable accidents, and possible loss of things like fingers, your eyesight, or perhaps even your life!  I know that Black POwder guns are less expensive that Moern ones, but even though mine only cost, (On Average.) slightly less than $200 each. I still cherish them as wonderful companions. I have a very hot load that is now all I shoot, but the guns handle the load very well, and are all still as tight as they were when new.
            The ROA was deigned to accept higher pressures than say the Replica Colts or the Remingtons. howeverI would be inclined to remain conservative with regards to increasing pressures in these guns. By all means find by CAREFULL experimentation, a good hot load for yur guns, but Self Destruction is NOT the way to go!.   I'm almost 80 now, and yet fpr me, life is still sweet.  I believe you have spoken about a young lady you are seeing.  Make sure you live for her sake.  None of us want to learn that you have been maimed, or lost the use of a limb, or your Sight!  GO to a gunsmith who you respect, and ask his advice, before you inadvertantly try an experiment that could turn out disasterously for you. 
                                                 Be safe and LIVE!                               Johnnie Roper,ALias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 06:58:16 PM »
I wouldn't think so. Even the New vaquero won't do that. If you want to shoot Ruger only loads get a Blackhawk.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 07:54:32 PM »
I wouldn't think so. Even the New vaquero won't do that. If you want to shoot Ruger only loads get a Blackhawk.

My Blackhawk has fired many a 45 LC load exceeding 44 mag specs. Case full of 296 & 250-300 gr projectiles. Worked great on Hawgs & Black Bear. Having said that my 629 Smith worked just as well. Biggest difference to me was the S/A grip handles heavy recoil better by rolling up rather than back.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 08:28:15 PM »
My Blackhawk has fired many a 45 LC load exceeding 44 mag specs. Case full of 296 & 250-300 gr projectiles. Worked great on Hawgs

Worked great on whut? {_K
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline 45 Dragoon

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 09:03:05 PM »
Bruce!
 Absolutely not!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 12:12:58 PM »
I just scored a roa, stainless, fixed sites, with a conversion cylinder, unfired like new in the box for $650! I'm now selling my c&b 1873 and my steel frame 58 bison.... 300 each... I'll post an add later
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:31:12 PM by SUZUKIBRUCE »
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline 45 Dragoon

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 05:07:28 PM »
Nice!!!
 The '73 C&B is a nice setup!! Doing Brushys right now. It'll be like a worked over El Patron. Sweeet!!!!

As far as the ROA is  concerned, I'm working on a gated conversion that will let you shoot Ruger only loads (but only mine!!)

Oh, just read your post again, your selling the '73 .  Well, hang on to the ROA,  .  .  .   it'll be fun!!!!

Mike

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 05:34:31 PM »
Bruce!
 Absolutely not!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

what about full power/ jacketed .45colt (not the low power safe to shoot at steel plates cowboy crap) i already changed my mind about selling my remmy and colt... lol... took them out to photograph, and played with them... i like them too much... (k-
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 06:07:22 PM »
No jackets.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 06:21:47 PM »

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 07:14:14 PM »
I looked in quite a few places and most of them said it will wear the barrel out. On the Ruger forum they said the rifling is cut different for round balls.

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 07:22:17 PM »
A "Ruger-only" load? Is that anything close to a "Walker-only" load?

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 07:46:25 PM »
I looked in quite a few places and most of them said it will wear the barrel out. On the Ruger forum they said the rifling is cut different for round balls.

Sounds like  B)) too me. It's steel ain't it. It might have a twist more suitable for balls, but that ain't gonna cause wear.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 08:38:46 PM »
Think whacha wanna