Author Topic: Caps jamming action  (Read 18811 times)

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: Caps jamming action
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2016, 11:58:26 AM »
I have cap jams with Remington's just as much as I do Colts which isn't many.

+1

It's a Uberti & Hawg nice guy that he is, is permanatley intoxicated on Colt royal blue kool-aid IMO. That stuff is addictive & mind altering.  (^h

Actually, I believe that would be me.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2016, 02:08:44 PM »
 Yea, you too. And anyone that would make the previous statement.

Offline Kaeto

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Official Mad Dog Nose Tweaker.
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2016, 02:41:41 PM »
And you are long overdue being placed in the canvas dinner jacket with the extra long sleeves, and hauled off by those nice young men in the white coats to the Happy Home
“The path of the warrior is difficult! We live to protect those who cannot protect themselves! Honour in serving! Honour in defending! Honour in dying for a just cause!”

"A knight is sworn to valor; His heart knows only virtue; His blade defends the helpless; His might upholds the weak; His word speaks only truth,
and his wrath undoes the wicked."

Offline psfal

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2016, 05:02:45 PM »
Well, that was a lot of responses...Thanks to all of you :)
I'll try the #11s out and see if I get an improvement, maybe get some aquarium tubing too and try that. I read somewhere in my search for cap answers that the #11 cap often has to be pinched, which leaves a gap that could cause a crossover ignition of other chambers, so I'm still not 100% sure of all this. Until I gather enough of my own experience I have only the advice of others to go on, I don't like being the ignorant one. Any suggestions on a comprehensive book with good coverage on C&B pistols?
Incidentally, what is the difference between a Pietta and Uberti cylinder? Aren't both built to original specs and theoretically interchangeable?

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2016, 05:28:54 PM »
You would think so, but such is not the case. Pietta will not fit Uberti and vice versa....without modification. I have heard the Uberti cylinders will fit original Remingtons, but it don't have a Uberti Remington to try this.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2016, 07:04:40 PM »
A Pietta cylinder is a few thousandths longer, costs about half as much & you can buy them @ any Cabelas. They work great with CCI #10s also. You can actually afford extras  (T^

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2016, 07:11:22 PM »
And you are long overdue being placed in the canvas dinner jacket with the extra long sleeves, and hauled off by those nice young men in the white coats to the Happy Home

I probably own more Colts than Remingtons and I love em, but I know what they are, CAP SUCKERS  :P

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2016, 07:24:14 PM »

Actually I've taken many a person there, and I'm not particularly nice, young or ever wore a white coat. Most people I've taken there were happy to get to go. It's a lot nicer than jail. Better grub . BTW they wear chains for the ride, not canvas.

Offline psfal

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2016, 07:24:31 PM »
So, which is actually better, Uberti or Pietta? What's the general concensus?
I went and got some aquarium tubing and prepped some primers, was going to try that fix out until I could get some #11 caps. Then I bent the loading lever piece between the lever and the pushing cylinder loading it for testing, so I have to order another one of those. I didn't think I was putting that much pressure on it...Guess I'll have to wait to test it when I get a replacement loading lever.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2016, 07:28:17 PM »
So, which is actually better, Uberti or Pietta? What's the general concensus?
I went and got some aquarium tubing and prepped some primers, was going to try that fix out until I could get some #11 caps. Then I bent the loading lever piece between the lever and the pushing cylinder loading it for testing, so I have to order another one of those. I didn't think I was putting that much pressure on it...Guess I'll have to wait to test it when I get a replacement loading lever.

Judging by all the trouble you're having I'd vote Pietta. I have the part u need for a Pietta.

Offline Kaeto

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2016, 07:31:08 PM »

I probably own more Colts than Remingtons and I love em, but I know what they are, CAP SUCKERS  :P

I've been shooting colts for a long time and never had a cap jam.
“The path of the warrior is difficult! We live to protect those who cannot protect themselves! Honour in serving! Honour in defending! Honour in dying for a just cause!”

"A knight is sworn to valor; His heart knows only virtue; His blade defends the helpless; His might upholds the weak; His word speaks only truth,

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2016, 07:37:40 PM »

Suspension of reality is one of the symptoms.

Online Bishop Creek

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2016, 08:34:07 PM »
\

Ever fired an 1862 Colt Police? (not the Pietta version).

Offline Kaeto

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2016, 09:31:48 PM »
Never owned one.  Just 1851s, and 1860s. And a Walker, a Spiller & Burr.  Had more problems firing the S&B than any other C&B revolver.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2016, 12:29:01 AM »
Ever fired an 1862 Colt Police? (not the Pietta version).

I have an Uberti 62 Police.  It's a Jam-o-Matic.  The stock gun wouldn't get through one cylinder without jamming.  Usually the hammer was left sitting on a spent cap in the frame channel after a shot.  Whether the next shot fired or not usually depended on whether the cap fell out of the hammer channel when you cocked, or whether it was stuck in there and needed to be picked out with a knife.  Once or twice the hammer would fall on the cap from the precious shot and still have enough energy to fire, but usually if you leave the cap in there it pads the hammer fall and you get a misfire.  So technically it's not "jamming" in the sense that it ties up the cylinder, but it does fail to fire.

I determined the problem to be excessive nipple flash hole diameter combined with a low mass hammer.  The pressure of firing was blowing the cap and hammer back, the cap falls off, the hammer comes forward again and sits atop the cap in the channel under the hammer.  The oft described "cap sucking" hammer notch was not a factor, because the cap ended up down below in the hammer channel after the shot, with the hammer resting on top of it.  That's "cap blowing", not sucking.

Replacing the nipples with Tresos (smaller flash hole) helped a lot, but something more still needs to be done. Reduced loads help also, but I don't want to have to do that all the time.  Maybe if I always fired the gun upside down...

I'll try a couple of the other tricks first, but I'm guessing this gun is a candidate for a cap rake.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)