Author Topic: Caps jamming action  (Read 18812 times)

Offline JAX71224

Re: Caps jamming action
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2017, 03:59:50 PM »
 (T^ As some others have expressed, it's very refreshing to see you posting again! Welcome back and please tell us of your whereabouts and exploits of the last several months!

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2017, 06:27:09 PM »
yeah lately ( last couple years)  I been watching the caps as I put them on, making sure the compound is actually there. haven't had as many duds since doing that
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2017, 10:00:10 AM »
Had an unusual (?) cap issue today.
This time of year it's kind of a day light from 9 am to 3 pm at my latitude, but it was snowing, so visibility wasn't all that good.
First shot the Remi Navy Riders DA, no problems. Then shot the Manhattan Navy, first shot OK, but the next four failed. Retried, failed, changed caps, failed.
Dismantled and cleaned, then saw the reason: Cap fragment deep down in the hammer well made the hammer stop short of the cap (but the timing and lock up functioned).
This fragment had to be removed with the help of a fine screw driver and a wooden mallet.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2017, 10:57:08 AM »
Hi Len, cap jams with Colt revolvers is a common problem. Even those with cap rakes installed sometimes have a cap jam. That's one advantage of the Remington 1858, almost never have a cap jam, I never had one with my 1858s.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2017, 12:03:01 PM »
I've had about as many cap jams with Remingtons as I have with Colt's which isn't very many. I never had one with a Colt where disassembly was required to get it out. I have with a Remington.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.