Author Topic: "Boosting" Caps  (Read 6081 times)

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
Re: "Boosting" Caps
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2016, 01:16:58 AM »
Why, thank you gents! Muddle is my other middle name :-)

I seem to recall, but cannot yet dig it out, that my IAB Sharps has what appears to be a separate ( I thought perhaps sliding) chamber pressed into the back end of the barrel. I need to dig it out and get some photo's but the amazing thunderstorms have caused a tiny leak which must be dealt with first  (u^

yhs
prof ( mud ... er muddles .... ) marvel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline WASH BUSTER

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2016, 06:59:09 AM »
I have an IAB Sharps and I don't think the chamber is sliding ,I also have an ARMI Sport and it does

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2016, 08:34:34 AM »
Mine doesn't. I had heard all the bad talk about IAB's and researched them pretty heavily before I bought mine so I would know what I was getting into. Everywhere I looked said the chamber didn't slide.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2016, 12:41:48 AM »
Fiddle. I found my roll caps and the are the cheap chinese ones that hold nearly no powder. I'll have to check out Sportsmans as I thought they had the good stuff.

RE the IAB Sharps Kit:
I certainly believe you gents that it doesn't slide. Mine never did, and until I got to this forum,  I was somewhat concerned
that it may have corroded in place.

Now at least I can put that worry to bed, but I still want to get a borescope or something and see what the front end 
looks like as it transitions to the rifling. And try to find out if it might possibly can be removed/replaced.

I some time ago I lost an auction on a really cool Pedersoli .45 Sharps papercutter, that the owner had modified to take .45-70 brass. He covered the flash-hole with a single layer of tissue paper then loaded the BP and the bullet. The musket caps he used just blew right on thru it. I have been trying to do that with my .54 ever since  {_K

yhs
prof crazy
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2016, 12:52:29 AM »

I some time ago I lost an auction on a really cool Pedersoli .45 Sharps papercutter, that the owner had modified to take .45-70 brass. He covered the flash-hole with a single layer of tissue paper then loaded the BP and the bullet. The musket caps he used just blew right on thru it. I have been trying to do that with my .54 ever since  {_K

yhs
prof crazy

The IAB has a bigger chamber than everybody else's. VTI used to sell IAB cartridges but they're out of stock. I know of no other source for them. I'd like to have some but getting them machined is the only way I know to get any.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2016, 12:29:45 PM »
I still want to get a borescope or something and see what the front end 
looks like as it transitions to the rifling. And try to find out if it might possibly can be removed/replaced.
eBay search 6LED USB borescope inspection
$7.32 delivered
Needs software for real time camera capture and display.
Any cheap or free movie editor will do the job.
Can inspect engines, bores, rat holes, soffits, plumbing (waterproof), wall cavities, etc.
Finally, a decent borescope for the price of one six pack!

I have mine and use it. Do you have yours?
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2016, 07:13:15 PM »
For a client's project I got a nice boroscope, it's got a 3.9mm (0.154") diameter camera head.  Fits in all sorts of places, really handy for finding the right plug on the back of a stereo too!  :)
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Paracelsus)
NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of California member