1858 remington forum

Author Topic: "Boosting" Caps  (Read 7793 times)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: "Boosting" Caps
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2016, 03:08:34 PM »
If you want an easy way to boost your caps try some Legends roll caps. Just punch out the spot and stick it in your caps, no need to glue. I use them on plastic strip caps which aren't strong enough by themselves.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2016, 09:07:41 PM »
Class & SSB -
thanks for the tips, I'll try out heavy compression with th is stuff. Does APP/ MZ make much smoke?

If you want an easy way to boost your caps try some Legends roll caps. Just punch out the spot and stick it in your caps, no need to glue. I use them on plastic strip caps which aren't strong enough by themselves.

Aha! Thnks Hawg, the "re-enactors" musket caps i inadvertantly picked up will definitley need that for my IAB Sharps "kit" .

yhs
prof marvel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2016, 11:53:52 PM »
Aha! Thnks Hawg, the "re-enactors" musket caps i inadvertantly picked up will definitley need that for my IAB Sharps "kit" .

yhs
prof marvel

Let me know how they work on that. My strip caps won't fit musket nipples and that Sharp's has two 90 degree turns in the firing channel. They work fine with the strip caps on revolvers but that's a very short distance to travel. Make sure you get Legends caps. They're made in Germany and are hotter than other brands. You can find them at Walmart. I also don't know how well APP or MZ will work in that Sharp's. Mine doesn't work very well with Pyrodex and RWS caps. It's kinda like shooting a flintlock with a slow lock time with Pyro where Swiss is instantaneous.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline prof marvel

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 01:51:17 AM »

yhs
prof marvel

Let me know how they work on that. My strip caps won't fit musket nipples and that Sharp's has two 90 degree turns in the firing channel. They work fine with the strip caps on revolvers but that's a very short distance to travel. Make sure you get Legends caps. They're made in Germany and are hotter than other brands. You can find them at Walmart. I also don't know how well APP or MZ will work in that Sharp's. Mine doesn't work very well with Pyrodex and RWS caps. It's kinda like shooting a flintlock with a slow lock time with Pyro where Swiss is instantaneous.

I have some big fat roll caps buried in a drawer somewhere, I need to dig them out. And I have been buying Pyro & MZ to use in the revolvers, saving the Goex for the rifles & IAB Sharps kit  LOL .

The fire channel on my sharps was so full crap I broke several drill bits ( and had to get them out ) before I got smart
and cleaned it out with a diamond burr. I expect the poor thing passed thru several prior owners before it stuck to me.
but that made it cheap, and if besides being cheap, I am persistant!

yhs
prof marvel
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 08:12:48 AM »

yhs
prof marvel

I have some big fat roll caps buried in a drawer somewhere, I need to dig them out. And I have been buying Pyro & MZ to use in the revolvers, saving the Goex for the rifles & IAB Sharps kit  LOL .

The fire channel on my sharps was so full crap I broke several drill bits ( and had to get them out ) before I got smart
and cleaned it out with a diamond burr. I expect the poor thing passed thru several prior owners before it stuck to me.

yhs
prof marvel

How hard was it to get the breech plate off? Mine didn't look like it was used very much but I was about to think the plate wasn't removable before I finally just grit my teeth and drove an old knife blade between it and the breech block.

Offline prof marvel

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2016, 11:42:50 PM »

yhs
prof marvel

How hard was it to get the breech plate off? Mine didn't look like it was used very much but I was about to think the plate wasn't removable before I finally just grit my teeth and drove an old knife blade between it and the breech block.

I had the same problem with my breech plate. I too had to use a very thin old paring knife to get it loose. Then I polished up the inside mating surfaces to ensure it had even a remote chance to slide...

Next I want to try the "o-ring ring fix" , and then see if I can free up the "sliding chamber" - or at least see IF  it will move. 

with an IAB One never knows exactly whatcha got.

yhs
prof marvel

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 12:53:13 AM »
IAB doesn't have a sliding chamber.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2016, 01:18:24 PM »

Given enough time the Prof will correct that  (?^
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2016, 01:43:23 PM »

)L$

Offline prof marvel

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2016, 07:15:37 PM »

)L$

enough time
enough large diameter brass rod
and a big enough hammer

{:(

yhs
prof ( oops   {_K   ) marvel

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2016, 07:33:46 PM »
You lost me on that prof.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2016, 07:45:16 PM »
You lost me on that prof.
c
"Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand and I will move the earth."  Archimedes

Personally I have wondered what he expected to use for a fulcrum.
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline snake-eyes

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Erin Go Bragh
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2016, 05:52:40 PM »
Well that certainly cleared that up.... ???    :9)   ???  But it happens
snake-eyes  )&&
Member: NRA
Member: Columbus Muzzleloading Gun Club
Co-Founder and charter member: Traditional M/L Ass.
www.TraditionalMuzzleloadingassociation.com
If you come to a fork in the road,take it! Yogi Berra

Ever wonder who God roots for in a religious war??

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2016, 05:55:43 PM »
snake-eyes  )&&

Clear as a mud fence.  )L$

Offline snake-eyes

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Erin Go Bragh
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2016, 06:43:10 PM »
snake-eyes  )&&

Clear as a mud fence.  )L$
Hawg,
           Thanks.....I thought it was just me & my  :9) brain.....
snake-eyes  )&&
Member: NRA
Member: Columbus Muzzleloading Gun Club
Co-Founder and charter member: Traditional M/L Ass.
www.TraditionalMuzzleloadingassociation.com
If you come to a fork in the road,take it! Yogi Berra

Ever wonder who God roots for in a religious war??