The 1858 Remington Forum

Home| Register | Login

General Black Powder Discussions > Caps

(1/8) > >>

Lead Balls:
December 30, 2015, 08:52:05 AM

Not originally my idea, someone suggested "boosting" my caps by adding a little bit of bp to the caps with some hairspray to give them a little extra energy. Substitutes are notorious for requiring more energy to light, so this is a good idea when shooting those, particularly those Pyrodex pellets, I have a box of them. But even though I mostly only shoot the real stuff, now, I still like the way the boosted caps light the powder better, and furthermore, I have been messing with paper cartridges, and the boosted caps never fail to burn through the paper.

But, doing this is easier said than done, I've found. What I do is I upturn the lid of the cap can, then I dump some caps into my left hand, and drop them into the lid open side up. I keep a pair of tweezers handy, for the ones that don't land right. But percussion caps are actually surprisingly good at landing on their feet, most of the time. I don't bother trying to right the ones that fall over with the tweezers, it's not worth it. Rather, I pluck them out, and put them back in my left hand. I put some bp in a salt shaker, this is a real time saver, and a powder saver, I don't waste nearly as much, as the shaker makes it easy to get the powder to go where you want it to.
So once I have the lid filled up with caps, open end up, I give it a spritz from the hairspray, then I shake some powder in them, then I spray them one more time. I like to go around with a poker of some kind and compress the mess down a bit before the hairspray dries. This has been the fastest and easiest way to do it, and it does a bunch at a time.

The only minor issue is with the boosted caps, you have to make sure the caps go all the way onto the nipples, sometimes too much powder in the caps causes them to not seat all the way down onto the nipples, and then they don't fire. Just push then on there like you mean it.
I like the way the boosted caps work, and intend to keep doing it this way from now on. But key to that was establishing a procedure for doing it that was practical. This works, and doesn't take much time or effort.

ssb73q:
December 30, 2015, 09:37:41 AM

Quote from: Lead Balls on December 30, 2015, 08:52:05 AM
Not originally my idea, someone suggested "boosting" my caps by adding a little bit of bp to the caps with some hairspray to give them a little extra energy. Substitutes are notorious for requiring more energy to light, so this is a good idea when shooting those, particularly those Pyrodex pellets, I have a box of them. But even though I mostly only shoot the real stuff, now, I still like the way the boosted caps light the powder better, and furthermore, I have been messing with paper cartridges, and the boosted caps never fail to burn through the paper.

But, doing this is easier said than done, I've found. What I do is I upturn the lid of the cap can, then I dump some caps into my left hand, and drop them into the lid open side up. I keep a pair of tweezers handy, for the ones that don't land right. But percussion caps are actually surprisingly good at landing on their feet, most of the time. I don't bother trying to right the ones that fall over with the tweezers, it's not worth it. Rather, I pluck them out, and put them back in my left hand. I put some bp in a salt shaker, this is a real time saver, and a powder saver, I don't waste nearly as much, as the shaker makes it easy to get the powder to go where you want it to.
So once I have the lid filled up with caps, open end up, I give it a spritz from the hairspray, then I shake some powder in them, then I spray them one more time. I like to go around with a poker of some kind and compress the mess down a bit before the hairspray dries. This has been the fastest and easiest way to do it, and it does a bunch at a time.

The only minor issue is with the boosted caps, you have to make sure the caps go all the way onto the nipples, sometimes too much powder in the caps causes them to not seat all the way down onto the nipples, and then they don't fire. Just push then on there like you mean it.
I like the way the boosted caps work, and intend to keep doing it this way from now on. But key to that was establishing a procedure for doing it that was practical. This works, and doesn't take much time or effort.

Hi Lead, IMO you will be better off just adding a little BP in the cylinder chambers when using Pryodex pellets, like Johnnie does. Caps are already a little to fiddly for me to try and improve. The current Remmington Caps are pretty hot, open up the nipple hole diameter if you need more heat.

Regards,
Richard

snake-eyes:
December 30, 2015, 10:45:44 AM

LB,
     I agree with Richard. FWIW
snake-eyes  )&&

Hawg:
December 30, 2015, 11:27:11 AM

I don't use pellets but standard caps set loose Pyrodex off just fine.

Yolla Bolly Brad:
December 30, 2015, 12:11:23 PM

I've found that Pyrodex powder works just fine for boosting the pellets also. I have put it on top of the Pyro pellet in the chamber and shake it so it settles down into the pellet hole.

[1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Navigation

Message Index

Next page

Go to full version