Author Topic: Itty-bitties  (Read 6385 times)

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
Re: Itty-bitties
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 11:30:45 PM »
Hi, these itty-bitties shoot better than most people understand. I got the steel frame 1863 Remington a couple of years ago and tested it in my basement. Not wanting to wait for the snow to go away before testing my 1863 Remington Pocket fitted with the new Howell 32 S&W conversion cylinder, I tested it in my basement using a .22 bullet stop. I fired 5 shots using 32 S&W handloaded with 78gr Laser Cast bullets with 1.5gr of Trailboss powder from 7 yards. I didn't take effort trying for accuracy. Here is the proof of the pudding, an ~1-1/4" group:

The Colts are even more accurate. Ignore the shot in the 8 ring, it was my first shot and then I aimed higher:

Back in the day, any abdominal puncture was a death sentence. I shot a very thick telephone book with both a .22LR from a rifle and .32 S&W. The .32 S&W has less energy than the .22, but pen' etrated more that the .22 and went 2" deep into that thick phone book. I wouldn't want to be shot with a .32 S&W.

Currently the problem using .32 S&W is getting ammo and brass for handloading.

Regards,
Richard

How different is the 32 S&W from .32-20?
Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 11:54:35 PM »
My ears perked with "fast twist!"

The "new"  Remington 44 barrels are really nice. Bright mirror bores, no machining chatter like the "old" ones. 1 in 16"  twist. Oddly though even 2015 Colts & Remington 36s still use the old 30" twist barrels that are rough.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 11:59:34 PM »
Hi, these itty-bitties shoot better than most people understand. I got the steel frame 1863 Remington a couple of years ago and tested it in my basement. Not wanting to wait for the snow to go away before testing my 1863 Remington Pocket fitted with the new Howell 32 S&W conversion cylinder, I tested it in my basement using a .22 bullet stop. I fired 5 shots using 32 S&W handloaded with 78gr Laser Cast bullets with 1.5gr of Trailboss powder from 7 yards. I didn't take effort trying for accuracy. Here is the proof of the pudding, an ~1-1/4" group:

The Colts are even more accurate. Ignore the shot in the 8 ring, it was my first shot and then I aimed higher:

Back in the day, any abdominal puncture was a death sentence. I shot a very thick telephone book with both a .22LR from a rifle and .32 S&W. The .32 S&W has less energy than the .22, but pen' etrated more that the .22 and went 2" deep into that thick phone book. I wouldn't want to be shot with a .32 S&W.

Currently the problem using .32 S&W is getting ammo and brass for handloading.

Regards,
Richard

How different is the 32 S&W from .32-20?

Vastly, its a short straight walled case. A 32-20 is a longer bottlenecked case that originated in Winchester lever rifles. Part of the same series as 25-20, 38-40, 44-40.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 10:41:17 AM »
Dear Friends,
            Fast Twist Rifleing; +  Pure lead round balls: +  High Velocity = No Bueno Senor!

Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.

Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2016, 06:03:59 AM »

Fast Twist Rifleing; +  Pure lead round balls: +  High Velocity = No Bueno Senor!

Hi, a more accurate description is:

Fast Twist Rifling; +  Pure lead round balls: +  High Velocity + Johnnie = No Bueno Senor!  )L$ (?^ ->i

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline rodwha

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2016, 09:54:57 AM »
Indeed. My two 1:16" twist pistols do quite well with a ball using high energy powder.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline marlinperkins

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 11:09:13 PM »
Hi, these itty-bitties shoot better than most people understand. I got the steel frame 1863 Remington a couple of years ago and tested it in my basement. Not wanting to wait for the snow to go away before

Ha!  That is just what I did when I got mine (I don't have the conversion cylinder though).

I love the little gun and carry it more often than my 51 Navy.  It even fits in a handlebar bag when I ride my bike in the country.

Offline Branko

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 02:21:28 PM »
One of the guys at our shooting range showed up with a brand new .31 Remington Pocket model. It was funny to see such a small pistol, and we had a good laugh, but it did shoot on the first try, and then fired the other four. Does need a higher front sight out of the box.

It's so cute, really :P

If it works with a .22 shot trap... well, how bad is the noise? It's an interesting idea, shooting in the basement.

Offline sourdough

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2016, 04:56:00 PM »
One of the guys at our shooting range showed up with a brand new .31 Remington Pocket model. It was funny to see such a small pistol, and we had a good laugh, but it did shoot on the first try, and then fired the other four. Does need a higher front sight out of the box.

It's so cute, really :P

If it works with a .22 shot trap... well, how bad is the noise? It's an interesting idea, shooting in the basement.

I am going off topic, only because of your post about "shooting in the basement".

When I was a kid in Detroit in the early to mid-60's, my Dad brought home a bullet trap made of 1/4" steel that he had a guy at the plant weld up. It had a horizontal cylinder at the rear which dropped the lead into a tray. It was an approximate 50' range, and we shot from the wet bar (nice seated rest) through a doorway into the back of the basement. Illegal as all get out in Detroit, but the neighbors never complained. We shot .22 pistols and my first gun, a Remington 510A .22 single shot rifle, and it was able to withstand my Grandfather's .38 Special. Never, ever, shot jacketed bullets into it.

And, in the 60's, we had NO hearing protection. Did not have it in 69-70 when we moved to Nebraska and I got a job pulling/setting skeet/trap at Roberts' Shooting Park in Elkhorn (long gone, now the site of a community college).

Thanks for allowing me to recall memories!

Jim