1858 remington forum

Author Topic: New brass 1851 Confederate  (Read 9571 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
New brass 1851 Confederate
« on: September 12, 2015, 05:52:44 AM »
Hi, I recently purchased a new Pietta .44 1851 brass framed revolver, the 1851 Navy Confederate. Since it is a Colt style and brass frame that never existed in history, it won't be appreciated by some. This revolver is simply beautiful, the fit and finish perfect, and the timing accurate. I can't believe I got it for such a low price at Cabelas. I already have a .44 Pietta steel framed 1851, but just had to have this beauty for a special purpose.

A few weeks ago I was talking to Lee at Old South Firearms where he thought that putting a .22 conversion cylinder in a low cost brass framed revolver would be the cat's meow. I agreed and ordered the Cabelas brass framed Pietta 1851 .44 Confederate. Other than the .22 conversions, the conversion host revolver used must be steel framed, a brass frame is the exception for .22s. This is the .22 conversion in my steel framed .44 Pietta 1851:

Ok Johnnie, just for you, my new brass framed 1851:

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
Re: New brass 1851 Confederate
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 07:17:02 AM »
Richard, i think your Brasser is going to be NICE made into a .22lr!  {?|

I would like to do this to mine. What is the total cost for doing this?
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 08:04:27 AM »
Hi Sam, assuming you already have a host revolver, it will cost an additional $295-$370 depending on the brand of .22 conversion cylinder. The Kirst is the most expensive, the Howell the least cost. The new Howell .22 conversion that may be released for sale soon has an advantage of a full length .22 barrel. The Kirst barrel is only 2-1/2" long. A longer barrel means more velocity and maybe better accuracy compared to the short barrel.

One additional cost item is recommended, ~$14 is the Wolff 32280 reduced power hammer spring. That spring will produce a 2lb trigger pull and minimize conversion cylinder firing pin mushrooming.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 08:23:12 AM »
 In other words 3X the cost of the host gun. I'd buy a single six instead. Or that nice used frontier scout I saw for 300$ @ the last gun show. I don't see how they sell them. It looks very nice, but wake me up when they are 100$, until then I'm gonna sleep through this one
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:30:18 AM by M9Powell »

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 08:59:10 AM »
In other words 3X the cost of the host gun. I'd buy a single six instead. Or that nice used frontier scout I saw for 300$ @ the last gun show. I don't see how they sell them. It looks very nice, but wake me up when they are 100$, until then I'm gonna sleep through this one

Hi M9, you miss the point. If all we were interested in was cheap, we would just throw rocks.  )L$ (?^ ->i

The point of the .22 conversion is shooting .22s in a revolver that looks like something out of the civil war era. It has an advantage for newbies learning single action shooting and simply for fun.

If cost was an issue for shooters, Colt would never again sell a SAA for >$1500.

BTW, you won't see a conversion cylinder for $100, they keep their value very well.

What do you think I should name my brass framed 1851? I was thinking, "The Johnnie Special" could work for me.

Regards,
Richard

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 09:10:57 AM »
 Well, back when a SAA was a working gun, not a plaything for the wealthy, they were about 20$. I was thinking about buying 10 of  those brass framed 51s too strip down for parts, but can't find my latest promo code I wrote down somewhere, it was the one for 10% off & free shipping. Anyone else have it? I could sell the parts at a considerable discount to members here. I figure the barrels & cylinders in particular would be wanted. I was thinking of a mix of 5" & 7.5".

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 09:12:14 AM »
How about Batsina?

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
Hi M9, that Cabelas 10% + free shipping excluded firearms. I agree on the 1851 brassers, wait until a sale for ~$127 and then sell the parts on eBay for more. You may pick up a nice figured wood grip in the process. At that price one could do some smithing like a steel recoil shield, cut down barrels, etc. and if you screw up, no great loss tossing the boo boo in the trash.

Frankly, I think that anybody new considering BP revolvers should start with a brasser. If they become interested in the hobby, it won't be long before they own a dozen BP revolvers. If they loose interest, the brass framed revolver is beautiful as a wall hanger.

Regards,
Richard

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 09:46:25 AM »
 Oh well, it was a thought anyway. Thanks now I won't go crazy hunting the promo code.  (T^ I was more interested in giving members here a great deal than selling on e-bay. And accumulating a stock of parts for my own work. I just wish they'd offer a deal like that and on the 349$ starter kits in 36 caliber. The 36 makes a lot more sense for a starter brass frame than a 44. I guess it's just the western mystique of the 44 guns. Do you have the code though? It'd still be good on accessories wouldn't it?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 09:56:59 AM by M9Powell »

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 10:00:05 AM »
 How about whatever Golden or brass double duece is in Italian? I know they use duece.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 10:19:50 AM »
Hi M9, I don't remember the code that excluded firearms, but it ended on 9/7, the next day there was free shipping over $95 (95FREE) that didn't exclude firearms. That's when I ordered my brass 1851.

Regards,
Richard

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 10:22:04 AM »
 (T^

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 11:16:28 AM »
It'd sure be nice if they offered this kind of deal on the brass framed Remington's.

Offline sourdough

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 03:00:11 PM »
The Kirst is the most expensive, the Howell the least cost. The new Howell .22 conversion that may be released for sale soon has an advantage of a full length .22 barrel. The Kirst barrel is only 2-1/2" long. A longer barrel means more velocity and maybe better accuracy compared to the short barrel.

Richard:

Can you supply a link for the Howell .22 conversion cylinder with whatever length barrel that is currently available? Can't locate it online. I have a Pietta 1851 Navy .36 (CM:2014) that I would like to convert, but Kirst is a bit proud of their product as indicated by their asking price. I don't have a problem with the Kirst short barrel as the 10 1/4" sight radius on a 7 1/2" Navy barrel would make up for most of the problem, if one considers Navy sights as "adequate"  ;) . It's not like this will amount to more than a plinker, IMO. My 1911 Government .22 w/fixed sights would probably be on par with that considering the cartridge in the barrel effectively reduces the barrel length to 4" with a 6 1/2" sight radius.

If you are concerned with velocity, get a rifle. You won't notice a few missing FPS in pistol barrels. For a .22 LR HV cartridge the most efficient barrel length is 24"-26".

One additional cost item is recommended, ~$14 is the Wolff 32280 reduced power hammer spring. That spring will produce a 2lb trigger pull and minimize conversion cylinder firing pin mushrooming.

Hmmm... I would consider a 2# trigger pull as a bit too light for me. Pietta triggers don't break like glass at let-off so I would prefer 3#-4#. If the firing pin mushrooming is a concern with these .22 conversion cylinders, I might have to rethink the viability of this: mushrooming of a rimfire firing pin? Just asking...

I was thinking about buying 10 of  those brass framed 51s to strip down for parts...  I could sell the parts at a considerable discount to members here. I figure the barrels & cylinders in particular would be wanted. I was thinking of a mix of 5" & 7.5".

If you do that, mark for me down for a 5" .36 at a decent price (I won't pay what VTI and Taylors wants for them). I'd possibly even consider one for an "Avenging Angel" accessory for my Navy.

Hi M9, you miss the point. If all we were interested in was cheap, we would just throw rocks.  )L$ (?^ ->i

The point of the .22 conversion is shooting .22s in a revolver that looks like something out of the civil war era. It has an advantage for newbies learning single action shooting and simply for fun.

^^^^ +1. Cleanup is also a piece of cake compared to BP.

Jim

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 03:11:02 PM »
 I don't see any advantage over a single six.