The 1858 Remington Forum

Home| Register | Login

Other Black Powder Firearms > "Brand-X"

<< < (3/8) > >>

ssb73q:
September 12, 2015, 10:19:50 AM

Hi M9, I don't remember the code that excluded firearms, but it ended on 9/7, the next day there was free shipping over $95 (95FREE) that didn't exclude firearms. That's when I ordered my brass 1851.

Regards,
Richard

M9Powell:
September 12, 2015, 10:22:04 AM

(T^

M9Powell:
September 12, 2015, 11:16:28 AM

It'd sure be nice if they offered this kind of deal on the brass framed Remington's.

sourdough:
September 12, 2015, 03:00:11 PM

Quote from: ssb73q on September 12, 2015, 08:04:27 AM
The Kirst is the most expensive, the Howell the least cost. The new Howell .22 conversion that may be released for sale soon has an advantage of a full length .22 barrel. The Kirst barrel is only 2-1/2" long. A longer barrel means more velocity and maybe better accuracy compared to the short barrel.

Richard:

Can you supply a link for the Howell .22 conversion cylinder with whatever length barrel that is currently available? Can't locate it online. I have a Pietta 1851 Navy .36 (CM:2014) that I would like to convert, but Kirst is a bit proud of their product as indicated by their asking price. I don't have a problem with the Kirst short barrel as the 10 1/4" sight radius on a 7 1/2" Navy barrel would make up for most of the problem, if one considers Navy sights as "adequate"  ;) . It's not like this will amount to more than a plinker, IMO. My 1911 Government .22 w/fixed sights would probably be on par with that considering the cartridge in the barrel effectively reduces the barrel length to 4" with a 6 1/2" sight radius.

If you are concerned with velocity, get a rifle. You won't notice a few missing FPS in pistol barrels. For a .22 LR HV cartridge the most efficient barrel length is 24"-26".

One additional cost item is recommended, ~$14 is the Wolff 32280 reduced power hammer spring. That spring will produce a 2lb trigger pull and minimize conversion cylinder firing pin mushrooming.

Hmmm... I would consider a 2# trigger pull as a bit too light for me. Pietta triggers don't break like glass at let-off so I would prefer 3#-4#. If the firing pin mushrooming is a concern with these .22 conversion cylinders, I might have to rethink the viability of this: mushrooming of a rimfire firing pin? Just asking...

Quote from: M9Powell on September 12, 2015, 09:10:57 AM
I was thinking about buying 10 of  those brass framed 51s to strip down for parts...  I could sell the parts at a considerable discount to members here. I figure the barrels & cylinders in particular would be wanted. I was thinking of a mix of 5" & 7.5".

If you do that, mark for me down for a 5" .36 at a decent price (I won't pay what VTI and Taylors wants for them). I'd possibly even consider one for an "Avenging Angel" accessory for my Navy.

Quote from: ssb73q on September 12, 2015, 08:59:10 AM
Hi M9, you miss the point. If all we were interested in was cheap, we would just throw rocks.  )L$ (?^ ->i

The point of the .22 conversion is shooting .22s in a revolver that looks like something out of the civil war era. It has an advantage for newbies learning single action shooting and simply for fun.

^^^^ +1. Cleanup is also a piece of cake compared to BP.

Jim

M9Powell:
September 12, 2015, 03:11:02 PM

I don't see any advantage over a single six.

1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Navigation

Message Index

Next page

Previous page

Go to full version