Author Topic: Pietta 1851 on sale at Cabelas  (Read 5106 times)

Offline Woody127

Re: Pietta 1851 on sale at Cabelas
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 08:34:00 AM »
I also prefer the brass backstrap & trigger guard. But if you want all steel, Cabelas has the all steel engraved 1851 on sale with extra cylinder for 279$

I believe that one is a .44Cal.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 08:59:53 AM »
Yea, it is.

Offline Capnball

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 06:37:19 AM »
Might as well revive an old thread! I went back to the store that had the 1851 two weeks ago, and they still had it. With my military discount, it was $238. Not bad for a 2018 price! I thought the bore looked kind of almost as big as my .44, but I didn't think too hard on that. On the way home (50mile drive), I decided to look at the box endtab and noticed "44cal". I didn't know the 1851 was made in anything but .36 cal. The revolver was oiled to death and I couldn't read anything on it in the store, the overhead lights made it a glare off the high luster blue. I tried 12 shots last night and am happy with it. Now I need an 1851 in the correct historical caliber. This is my first Pietta (Tradition on box) and it is one nice gun! I will order an Uberti 1851 .36. I wanted to conserve my lead and powder, thus the reason to obtain a .36cal. But am happy I got this one, as it is built right and shoots straight. The salesman checked the cylinder like he was looking for cartridges in there, spun the cylinder, cocked it and let the hammer slam down on the nipple. When I handed it back, he cocked it and pulled the trigger again as he went to the back in search of the box. The date code is "CS" on it. Anyway, I highly recommend the Pietta 1851, but will buy a Uberti to go with this Pietta, as I want to compare the two in form and function over time.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 12:04:49 PM »
[CS]  2017

That would have pissed me bad.  I'da turned around and taken it back.  Some guys really like a .44 on a Navy frame.  It will go well with the .36 you get eventually.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline GrayFox

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 02:17:13 PM »
I'm mainly a shooter, not a collector or reenactor, and to me the balance of a .44 '51 is just right.  Looking at what the pistols were carried for I'd much rather have a .44.  I understand that the rebated cylinder wasn't used until the '61 Army made the .44 on a .36 frame feasible, but it probably could have been done.  GF

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 06:42:25 PM »
[CS]  2017

That would have pissed me bad.  I'da turned around and taken it back.  Some guys really like a .44 on a Navy frame.  It will go well with the .36 you get eventually.

the salesman dry-snapping would have pissed me smooth the F-off......i'd have had to asked him on the spot if he was intentionally trying to damage the nipples or just didn't understand how BP revolvers operate.
Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !