Author Topic: Percussion caps I have known  (Read 6224 times)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Percussion caps I have known
« on: July 23, 2015, 01:01:22 PM »
Here are some of the newer caps I have:

I haven't been able to put my hands on those plastic "tins" yet; however, in thinking about it a bit more, I believe I got those from Dixie.....under $10.00 for 1K

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Percussion caps I have known
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 01:02:54 PM »
The unmarked Remington actually was marked on the sealing tape. Oh, and the price sticker says $1.29; I thought that was a lot....at that time!

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 01:05:37 PM »
Some of my 4 wing musket caps:

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 01:06:43 PM »
And some old collector tins:

Online mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 03:39:27 PM »
I always have my eye out for good examples of the cap tins from before 1890 or so.   I haven't been able to find any I'd pay for.   Most of what I see I wouldn't even carry home let alone pay hard earned wages for.
You have a few nice ones Mazo.

Online Bishop Creek

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 04:10:03 PM »
Really nice collection Mazo. I dimly recall the Navy Arms Caps being the first caps I ever bought in the late 1960s (think they had a red tape sealer around the outside of the tin) and I have bought and used all of the Remington caps over the years shown in your photo. Still have a few old tins somewhere.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 04:20:16 PM »
I haven't looked for any cap tins lately. A few of the old ones are full or nearly full. Mike, congratulations on your 1000 posts! And I do have some old tins that have nearly unreadable labels!

Online Bishop Creek

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 04:56:19 PM »
Dug around in the garage a short time ago, but couldn't find some of the old cap tins that I know I have, but I did find these. Two on the left are reproductions made for Colt 2nd Gen "C" Series cased sets in 1971, and the one on the right was made around 1994, from a Colt Blackpowder Signatures Series set (pic taken at an earlier date). C Series tins are nicer and have a lacquer finish on the labels as opposed to the stick on label on the Signatures Series tin.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 06:22:23 PM »
I had forgotten all about the tape.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Online Bishop Creek

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 07:25:04 PM »
Just found this one Hawg, still has the tape on it. Bought it over a dozen years ago, never opened.

Online Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 09:31:40 PM »
Yes, RWS/Dynamit Nobel used the tape as I recall. Mazo I was gonna comment that you had no "Eley" tins before Bishop Creek posted a picture! You need a few for your collection. All the cased Colt sets I've seen had Eley caps.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Online mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 09:47:27 PM »
I haven't looked for any cap tins lately. A few of the old ones are full or nearly full. Mike, congratulations on your 1000 posts! And I do have some old tins that have nearly unreadable labels!

Yeah,  Thanks Mazo.  Took me a lot longer than some guys who started about the same time.
The Navy Arms cap tins had a red band around them too.  A couple of the tins I have still have the sealing tape on them.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 11:32:25 AM »
CK, I did post a picture of an Eley tin in the collector tins photo. It is embossed rather than having a label.

Online Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 11:49:22 AM »
CK, I did post a picture of an Eley tin in the collector tins photo. It is embossed rather than having a label.

I stand corrected!
I completely overlooked that. My bad. You da man!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 01:03:20 PM »
Had no idea there were so many caps to chose from. I use the Dynamite Nobel 1075 (red tin, but they come in black plastic cases over here). Think the 1075:s are equivalent to #10.