Author Topic: Hammer lock  (Read 1182 times)

Offline jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
Hammer lock
« on: June 29, 2015, 08:37:17 PM »
What would you guys thing of a hammer lock.  Not a kid lock type, just a safety for carrying the gun loaded.  I thought of it today on a walk to the bank.

I'm thinking of something that clips under the hammer to keep it from reaching the cap, even if dropped onto the hammer.  When the hammer was cocked back it would easily pull free to allow use.
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Paracelsus)
NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of California member

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Re: Hammer lock
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 08:46:43 PM »
I say no.
When the lock is in place, the hand is already trying to move the cylinder into battery (unlocked) and the bolt is retracted. If the lock falls out or is pulled free, the hammer is under spring pressure and will free-fall...where?
Yup.
Safest place for the hammer is on a empty chamber or in the safety notches in between.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
Re: Hammer lock
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 12:10:24 AM »
I say no.
When the lock is in place, the hand is already trying to move the cylinder into battery (unlocked) and the bolt is retracted. If the lock falls out or is pulled free, the hammer is under spring pressure and will free-fall...where?
Yup.
Safest place for the hammer is on a empty chamber or in the safety notches in between.

Add a thumbreak strap over the hammer and you are all set.
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions