Author Topic: Frame stretching  (Read 13546 times)

Offline soundguy

Re: Frame stretching
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2016, 07:48:22 AM »
given that I'm not carrying a front stuffer for self defense, I'm less concerned about owning brass and steel guns in my collection of guns.

I have seen at least a coule guns I could ONLY get in brass frames unfortunately.

I think the comments on owning a brass gun and being foolish are a tad uncalled for. IMHO... This is a brassers forum anyway...  Odd place to find a brass hater to be hanging out...

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2016, 09:55:57 AM »

I think the comments on owning a brass gun and being foolish are a tad uncalled for. IMHO... This is a brassers forum anyway...  Odd place to find a brass hater to be hanging out...

My good man, this is the perfect place for a brass hater  (k-  )L$   
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline soundguy

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2016, 11:02:50 AM »
In torment maybee!

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2016, 11:44:30 AM »
Hi, will this copper barrel stretch?:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2016, 11:51:15 AM »
Gentlemen,
               Allow me to correct a couple of Mis-apprenshions!  #1.  I have owned a great many "Modern Guns," and gotten very fond of some of them.  At last two Gen-U-Wine Colt S.A.Army revolvers, and three or four Clones of same, made by our Italian Friends!  Several Winchester clones of the Mod. 1892, all carbine length. A British Service Rifle, cal: .303, A Winchester '73 Clone by Uberti, some British Webley & Scott Revolvers in .45 Webley. A British "Snubbie" in .380 made by Webley & Scott. A Chief's Special, Nickel Plated in .39 Special, by Smith & Wesson.  Also at least three, "SlabSidedVarmints!!!
               #2.  I do not HATE brass guns. I just consider them lacking in versatility, and a waste of money, when one considers that steel frames guns are very much more versatile, and give FAR BETTER VALUE FOR MONEY, when one considers how much longer they last, and that they retain a far better re-sale value, should the need arise to sell them off!  I won a brass framed Navy Copy on a bet once, at the Pistol Range on Rebsamen Range in Little Rock, Arkansas.  It must have been in 1978 or maybe a year later.  Some guy was bragging as to what a hot shot he was, and I didn't think from what I had seen of his targets that afternoon, that he was any better than Mediocre!  Being an out-spoken sort of fellow, I said as much!  This Pissed the guy off, and he challenged me!  I asked him what he had to put up as a prize, as I was a poor man!  He went to his pick-up truck, and returned with a Brass Framed Navy type Pistol. He then suggested that I put up my Mod.19 against this brasser.  I KNEW that I could out-shoot the guy, but accidents can happen in the best regulated families, so I agreed IF HE won the first target, we could go to best of three!  He agreed. He went first, and I knew I had him when he fired his first FIVE rounds, by cocking the gun and shooting single Action.  His were four in the black, and one in the closest white ring to the black.  I fired double action and put my six all in the black,  The second round was quite similar, and there was no need therefore to shoot the third, but he wanted to, so this time I was very careful to concentrate, and put a VERY good group on my target.  One ragged hole, that I swear were ALL within the 8 ring!  The guy was really pissed, but with about 30 guys all watching, he couldn't say much, because he was a stranger there, an half the guys watching with interest, were members of the Little Rock Pistol Club, and while I doubt any of them were really fond of me, they all knew I COULD shoot pretty well, and most I guess had taken a DISlike to the braggart!  Also, only the week before, some guy had brought to the range some dozen or so assorted Dinerware plates, which he had tossed into the air for target practise. Two of the guys were hitting them with 12 gauges, and I thought I'd have a go, At my second shot I hit a small pie plate, and they all looked at me in surprise!  So then they asked my if I could do it again. I told them honestly I didn't know, but that I'd sure like to try! Of the next four they tossed up I hit two of them, and thus gained a little Notoriety!  So as the Local Boy in this impromptue contest, I was the Favorite, and I beleive that there had been a few sidebets! The locals who had wagered on me, found themselves a few bucks better off, so that helped to increase my popularity!
               I took the brasser home, and gave it the Once over!  The arbor pin was loose in the frame, and I tightened that by drinnng a hole cross-wise form the rear,
through the frame and the arbor pin, then putting a self-tapping screw through the hole, which tightened it up quite well. Then I scrubbed out the barrel, which was
in surprisingly good condition, polished up the brass frame, and took it down to the local Pawn Shop, where to my great surprise, they gave me $50.oo for it! So I came out of the whole deal smelling like a rose! 
               Steel framed guns are an investment! Not only financially, but they can be loaded in such a way as to make them very lethal indeed! Sure, The first few shots in a Brasser may well be lethal, but more than a cylinderful will more than likely lower the usefullness of the piece. (And of course it's value!)   I believe that ALL Colt Designs will eventually, "Shoot Loose!"  My Thrice-Accursed 1860 Army Replica did, and Bernie Fogen worked on it and solidified it again.  After that I still shot it quite a lot, until that young guy brought that Remington into the club that night. I estimate that the gun shot loose initially, after about 60 rounds! Then after Bernie fixed it, I probably put about another 150 rounds through it, before "The Fool," bought it from me.  So I have no idea how well Bernie's repair lasted!  He had the reputation of being a guy who could, "Fix up a gun, Well!" The Original Colt Navy I had for a spell,(Made from the parts of Three Original Revolvers!!) was less problematical than the 1860 Replica, but still suffered from,"Caps In The Worksitis!"  However I have always believed in using Heavy Loads," and that old gun did handle all that I ever stuffed in the poor thing! I fancied that on occasions I heard it say,"OOooof!" after I touched it off, but at least it never, "Shot Loose!" My very good Friend, the late and much lamented Roy Liddiard, once told me that 1860 Armies quite often, "Shot Loose," but that the 1851 navies rarely did!
               We ALL of us do Stupid things, and SAY Stupid tings. I am no exception.  However when I give an opinion on something, I am saying what I truly believe!
If anyone disagrees with me, that is their Privilege! I form opinions on certain matters, based on what has happened to me, when in my  life, I have experienced
and dealt with a colt Style Revolver or two, and in both cases, found them wanting!  Since I am not a Masochist, and do not enjoy Irritation and Frustration when a tool I am using, fails to do what I ask of it,  I reserve the Right of an American Citizen to voice that opinion, with regard to the manner in which the tool,(In this case the Colt Percussion Revolver design!) has failed to give me satisfactory Service.
               So some of you, (Maybe you're Masochists?) enjoy shooting Colr style Percusson Revolvers!  My PERSONAL OPINION, is that they are badly designed pieces of JUNK!  My 1860 Army Replica was the Prince of Capsuckers! I NEVER ONCE got off all six rounds from that revolver! It ALWAYS dropped a spent cap in the works! I was often sorely tempted to hurl the bloody thing downrange, after the last shot it HAD managed to fire!  I was known to pour a stream of foul
language at the thing, as I reached for my Dental Tool, to extract the last of a series of MANY mangled Spent Percussion caps, from the inviting chasm that yawned appreciatingly, each time the hammer was cocked for what should have been the next shot!
               I say and write what I sincerely believe to be the truth as I see it, and have experienced it!  The only Colt Percussion Revolvers I have ever seen function
properly, have had  alterations performed upon them, to overcome their serious design faults!  One such solution is shown on a You Tube Video by "Cap & Ball."
Another had been done to a pair of 1860 Army .44's, at a, "Winter Range," (SASS) at Ben Avery Range just north of Phoenix, Arizona, some years ago. Curious, I watched the young man who owned this pair of 1860's, go through several stages of their game, and he did not have a single jam in either gun.  So since he was shooting very well, and was going through the stages at commendable speed, I reasoned that his system was a workable one!
               To carry out either alteration to a Colt Style Percussion Revolver, would entail some machine tools, and the skills to use them!  I have neither, and besides the answer is quite simple. Just buy a Remington Revolver, As E.Remington found the answer way back in 1857 or threabouts! The design of the Remington Percussion revolver is SO SUPERIOR,  I am amazed at the number of people who continue to be so loyal, (If that is the word?) to the Heath Robinson Colt design!
It is my considered pinion that the Colt Basic Design can best be described as; "A Series of Miss-Fires Waiting to Happen!"
               I ONLY SHOOT REMINGTON REVOLVERS!  Do you ever hear me bitching about them in any way? Do you hear me moaning about how they wont always Go Off?  Or about how caps fall off, and jam the gun up? Or how they jam with spent caps in the works? No? Well as good as I am in bitching about things I don't like, this should tell you something! 
               Now to a certain extent I DO UNDERSTAND the faxcination some folks hve with COlt! It's the NAME!  Sam Colt was a superb SALESMAN.  He really pushed the name. He made presents of Engraved, and inlaid revolvers to Popular Politicians, and important people in both Politics and the Military!  Got important Government Contracts.  Yet when Remington sold some of their far better revolvers to the Army, the Officers noted that me men, The guys who had to FIGHT with the guns, often preferred the Remington to the colt!  When Soldiers were mustered out at the close of Histilities, many bought their revolvers on becoming civilians, and far more bought Remingon's than Colts!
               But, to come to modern times. Most Western Fiction Writers don't know a Damned Thing about The Old West, except that which they have "learned" (?) from Other Western Writers, and have typically "Believed"(?) as Fact???????  So in their Literary Masterpeces,(?) EVERYBODY carries a "Colt .45!(?)  When I was able to begin to study a little more about History,  I was FLAT OUT AMAZED, at the number of different revolvers that the West was literally SWAMPED with! So yes, I DO understand, that a person can fall in love with a NAME! When I firsat got my Replica 1860, I was so in love with the bloody thing, I took that sucker to bed with me, as well as fondling it as I watched, "Wagon Train,", & "Rawhide," & "Gunsmoke!"
               When I found out, when I started to SHOOT THE THING, what an un-reliable piece of Crap it was, I was heartbroken! All the flights of Fancy I had indulged in over the months, turned to ashes in my mouth.  But it was the ONLY gun I had, so I had to put up with it. UNTIL that young man came in one night with a Remington!!!  That saved my Hobby Life!  I've NEVER LOOKED BACK!
               Also let us Remember the Southern Confederacy made guns out of an inferior substance because they did not have the FACILITIES to manufacture them from steel. It was a case of a substandard gun, or no gun at all!  Under thise circumstances, I WOULD USE A BRASSER, until I could shoot a Yankee who carried a steel gun, and rob his body of it!
                                                                                                                                  Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2016, 12:38:16 PM »
Hi Johnnie, the fascination with Colt revolvers is because they are more attractive than the bulky 1858 Remington. The longer sight radius of the Colts allows for more accurate shooting than with the 1858 Remington. Even with all the shooting issues with Colt's, I enjoy shooting them more than my many 1858s.

Shooting for personal enjoyment allows for tolerance with the Colt shooting issues. Personal protection is another story where a modern firearm is optimal.

I like the look of brass, the brass revolvers have actions as smooth as snot. I like the low price of brass framed revolvers, they display superior to steel frame revolvers.

Glad to see you becoming more acceptance of brass framed revolvers. Maybe using Colts is next in your BP revolver experience growth path? I look forward to seeing a photo of you with a brass framed 1860 Colt and a smile on your face.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2016, 03:31:20 PM »
I would say maybe if'n I got Johnny drunk enough, put one in his hand and had somebody tickle him in a delicate place with a feather, then maybe he would smile while holding a brass or any other colt.
But then I remember he is a Mormon and doesn't drink alcohol.

maybe we could photoshop johnnies head on mad Dog.  naw that wouldn't work either.
Ohhh well.

Personally I don't display my guns.  Only a very few people have seen most of them. Nobody has seen all of them.

Don't need somebody to tell somebody who tells somebody and then comes to break into the house. And thus if home forcing me to shoot them.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2016, 03:46:16 PM »
Personally I don't display my guns.  Only a very few people have seen most of them. Nobody has seen all of them.

Don't need somebody to tell somebody who tells somebody and then comes to break into the house. And thus if home forcing me to shoot them.

^^^
yeah!  what you said, DD !
don't need nobody messing with my pitifulattempts at buddhism!

yhs
prof buddhamarvel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2016, 04:17:08 PM »
Hi, will this copper barrel stretch?:

Regards,
Richard

I doubt that's copper. Most likely plated. If it's pure copper I'd trust it about as far as I can throw the empire state building.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline soundguy

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2016, 04:25:39 PM »
Magnetic?

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2016, 11:47:57 PM »
Me just like the guns and enjoy shooting them. Colts and Remington's. I never had all that much trouble shooting the Colts. I must confess to having one that be 1 cap fall into the action of a Colt revolver and found out it was my own fault for not turning the gun up and to the right when pulling the hammer back. I like the look of the brass frame Colt 51 and the action is real sweet on mine. With 20 gr loads it shoots pretty good and hits about anything you point it at. I have Remington's no brass frames but sometimes folks like a change of pace. ::)
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2016, 06:50:00 PM »
Sometimes you run into such a deal on a brasser, it's hard to pass up. My Cabelas has a NIB returned 1858 buffalo brasser for 225$. I was good though  )%R I didn't buy it. But I can still hear it's siren song. "You get paid on Tuesday come back and get me, please I need a new home". I'm not good at resisting temptation where women and guns and old single malt r concerned. If they mark it down to 199$ I know resistance is futile, I'll surrender (5&

They hit 199$ just recently for new ones at cabelas.    :)

That was the regular brass 1858s was'nt it? Not the buffs. Not to worry though my contact @ Cabelas marked the above mentioned Buffalo down to a point I  couldn't refuse. Ben a few moons ago, so I can't recall now what I paid for it. Has the newer high quality fast twist rifling, but this one measures out about 1 in 20". It's the most accurate handgun I own. Mostly prints Lee conical into 1 ragged hole from a rest @ 25 yrs, with an occasional flier maybe 3/4" out.

Offline soundguy

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2016, 07:13:14 PM »
Yup, the buff gun hit 199. Just after I ordered it at 249  a day before.  It had not even shipped.  I called them and they gave me a 49$ refund

Offline soundguy

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2016, 07:30:49 PM »
Oddly enough, I see it is back to 249 sale, regularly 199$.  I think they misprinted it one day and I caught it before they fixed it.

Will see what happens if they refund and hobo the advertised price or not. ;)

Will know this next cc statement ;)