Author Topic: trigger locks for the 58  (Read 4378 times)

Offline Roadhouse

• I would gladly pay you Tues for a hamburger today
Re: trigger locks for the 58
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2015, 03:21:09 PM »
Dear Richard,
              Bogey, Bogey, Bogey, Now you know most of us country boys aint gonna understand Then Thar Ten Wheeled Words!!!!!!
                                                                                    Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.

Gunslinger is a "Then Thar Ten Wheeled Word", and you are right, this "country boy" ain't never gonna understand!
GOD*GUNS*FREEDOM

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2016, 02:24:37 AM »
No children live in our house, just my wife and I. So I have no NEED for gunlocks. However I do own a couple of them. The padlock type with the long plastic covered steel cord. I put them through the action on my Glocks and my Norinco's whilst transporting them to and from the range.

There is no legal requirement here in Spain forcing me to do that but there are regular Police checks on the roundabouts here. The Cops don't tend to be anti-gun but when all locked up and impossible to use they cant say a dickybird. Bit of belt and braces does no harm.

In the house Mr Glock and his buddies have to be locked up in a Police approved safe. So they are not really a viable proposition for defensive use. A LEECH in court would have a field day ranting as to why Mr Glock was out of his box at four in the morning and used in a defensive shooting.......................CONTRA LA LEY !.......................Against the law !

Naturally I would prefer to trust my life to Mr Glock backing up Mr Mossberg, but it's not a good idea.

No such restrictions for .22 rimfire rifles I have a S+W MP15, Shotguns my Mossberg nor our favourite BP revolvers. So Mr Mossberg 7 rounds in the tube and chamber empty sits by the bed. Sat next to him is Mr Uberti or Mr Pietta in .44 calibre.

When we go out and the house is empty I lock them in a steel cabinet. I am not legally obliged to do so. But consider this. I would not want to come home and find some boney arsed drug addict in my house pointing one of the above guns at me !

Guns unlike dogs have no loyalty.

There are many methods of firearm security. It is a personal choice depending on many factors. Any children in the house, maybe unstable or untrustworthy adults ? Legal constraints depending where (which country) you live ? Do you live in an area with a high burglary rate? If the level of threat from either wild animals or two legged predators is high then the gun needs to be immediately ready at all times, so it cannot be locked or secured.

Security or no security is a matter of choosing what is right for YOU in your personal circumstances.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2016, 09:06:09 AM »
as to water used cleaning our guns.  Yes it alone will work, and with various 'soaps"  probably better.
But then you argue about residual water left in the crevices and threads, which over time can cause rust.
then you argue, baking in oven, or dry cycle of the dish washer.
Well whatever trips your trigger.
Personally been using Good rubbing alcohol for over 35 years.  No water, thus no rust.
and for you others, there are numerous commercial products you could use.
Nope not as cheap as water.
but what price do you use to value your guns?

As to locks
Currently no USA mandated law that I am aware of, but different states and cities do have some.
so how would they know it was actually locked up?  Knock Knock! surprise?
I imagine some trigger locks would work on some of our guns, guess it would be trial and error.
On other hand, just keep the cylinder separate from the gun.
Like a few others here, I do keep mine loaded, I use paper cartridges.
I don't want to fumble in the dark with a safe, even if all it needs to do is read my finger print. Because if something can go wrong it will, and in the case of an intruder armed or not, that is not the time to have something go wrong.

Kids.  I raised my youngest by myself.  He knew to never play with Daddy's gun unless Daddy was there. He knew the difference between real and toys.  We shot together a lot
Both cartridge and BP C&B.

It comes down to responsibility. Unforntunately because so many don't have that, we have laws. But we have laws on a bunch of things.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2016, 10:36:39 AM »
Citing DD4:
"as to water used cleaning our guns.  Yes it alone will work, and with various 'soaps"  probably better.
But then you argue about residual water left in the crevices and threads, which over time can cause rust.
then you argue, baking in oven, or dry cycle of the dish washer.
Well whatever trips your trigger.
Personally been using Good rubbing alcohol for over 35 years.  No water, thus no rust.
and for you others, there are numerous commercial products you could use.
Nope not as cheap as water."

I've been using  a mixture of acetone and hydraulic oil in my antique flintlocks. It is not near period, probably a heresy, but works all right. I think you American guys have a name for this concoction ???

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2016, 12:28:53 PM »

I've been using  a mixture of acetone and hydraulic oil in my antique flintlocks. It is not near period, probably a heresy, but works all right. I think you American guys have a name for this concoction ???

"Penetrating oil", a.k.a. Liquid Wrench, Kroil, etc.......
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2016, 02:19:09 PM »
DD4....

"Kids.  I raised my youngest by myself.  He knew to never play with Daddy's gun unless Daddy was there. He knew the difference between real and toys.  We shot together a lot
Both cartridge and BP C&B.

It comes down to responsibility. Unforntunately because so many don't have that, we have laws. But we have laws on a bunch of things."

That is called being a responsible parent. That is how it is done and that is the way it should be. No legislation for irresponsible idiots necessary. Unfortunately we do not live in an ideal world so we have legislation to save idiots from themselves imposed on ALL of us.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2016, 06:51:18 PM »
If you want a really good alarm system get a couple of geese or peacocks.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2016, 07:11:15 PM »
Yep, Capitoline Geese.  The USAF uses them too.

I have never owned a trigger lock and probably never will.
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2016, 07:17:39 PM »
Yep, Capitoline Geese.  The USAF uses them too.

I have never owned a trigger lock and probably never will.

I've got a few with new guns but always toss them. I bought a new Marlin model 60 a few years ago and it had a master lock trigger lock with H&R on it.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.