Author Topic: Cylinder & grips  (Read 12493 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
Re: Cylinder & grips
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 12:41:40 PM »
Okay, what do you think?

Hi Sam, nice photos, thanks for posting them. IMO a blued cylinder looks best.  ;) ;) ;)

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Remmie58

• Lie Free Zone
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 01:58:52 PM »
Okay, what do you think?
You have excellent taste.  ])M

Offline Remmie58

• Lie Free Zone
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 02:06:05 PM »
Okay, what do you think?

Hi Sam, nice photos, thanks for posting them. IMO a blued cylinder looks best.  ;) ;) ;)

Regards,
Richard
I like that I can switch the cylinder & grips back & forth, depending on my mood. I like the blued cylinder, too; but IMO, the look isn't balanced with nothing to compliment the brass triggerguard. If it were blued, I wouldn't have bothered changing anything. 

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 02:41:34 PM »
purdy!!!!
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline Sheriff Langston

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 03:48:03 PM »
Did I see what I thought I saw, Sam?
A LOADED, CAPPED cylinder looking right at you?
 (^h }),
"In this world there's two kinds of people my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."
“Blondie”

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 03:57:26 PM »
Did I see what I thought I saw, Sam?
A LOADED, CAPPED cylinder looking right at you?
 (^h }),

nothing to worry about, i dropped one once and the ball barely had enough oomph for me to feel it hit my boot, need a barrel for any type of dangerous velicity

still makes me uneasy looking at that though...
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2015, 08:03:46 PM »
 I have a pretty good imagination and thought, yeah, that'll look good! But the pic's really made the vision come  into its own! That's a unique look for sure!  I like it!
Nothing expresses Liberty more, than the report of a rifle shot fired in the defense of Freedom.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2015, 09:56:00 PM »
  I like it!

Me too.  Good pics Mad Dog, looks great.
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 12:40:04 AM »
Dear Friends,
            I personally DO NOT LIKE Dual Colored Guns!  Due to an optical illusion that most of us Humans have, Silver colored guns always LOOK bigger that Blued guns, even though you KNOW they're the same size.  I took all the blueing off a Blank Firing Replica of the Colt SA Army one time, and when I put the blued version beside it on the table, MOST people gave their opinion that the De-Blued gun was slightly larger!  I KNEW it wasn't, but the optical effect will make it SEEM larger! 
            Taking the blueing off that pistol, taught me a valuable Lesson!  (ie:) "Never Do It Again!"  So from that point in my life ON. I have done my best to keep my guns Professional lookng, and touch up the blueing should I catch the gun against a had object when out.!  I have a small bottle of Cold Blueing, right before me on the desk as I type this, and should I notice that one of the girls is beginnng to show too much steel, I go to Ana's Bathroom, filch a Q-Tip or three, and go to work to restore them to Pristine Finish!
            I have found myself a .50 Cal. Rifle with double set triggers at a very reasonable price at a local Gunsmith!  It is a Traditions
Rifle, I believe it is the,"Traditions Hawken," and Hawg would doubtless be able to point out a great many ways in which this gun differ's from an original.  I don't really CARE whether a Purist could pick holes in the thing, It looks primative enugh to me, and I tried the set trigger, and it is SWEET!
            Just to start out with, I have no loading manuals that would give me a start on how much powder I should put behind a . 490 ball, to get a good killing velocity for one of the larger Ungulates  I might happen to meet during Hunting Season. Probably 2016 Hunting Season, Since I really think that this years Hunting seasons are over in this State. I have NEVER gotten Drawn for elk,
As I have heard that getting drawn for Elk in Arizona is not all that common.  Maybe you have to KNOW somene?  A married couple in my Ward at chirch always go hunting every year, and they have missed the last two Sundays in Church, and since both have important callings, I think they may be out at Elk Camp!   If I do get drawn next year, I would appreciate any advice some of you more experienced Hunters may have on the subject of a nice heavy load That if placed right, would make a merciful Kill on a large Ungulate of Elk Size?
            The rifle is very nicely finished, and with tax,, is $433, and a few cents total.  I have put one Hundred down on it, So when my check comes in on Friday, I can pop down and get that sucker!!  I really feel that unlike the !866 Carbine, this one will have the Chutzpah to, "Reach Out and Touch Something!"  "Oh Golley!": Just seen it is time to take the poor Dog Walkies!   See Yawl Tomorrow I guess!
                                                                                                          Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:47:17 PM by Gunslinger9378 »
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2015, 06:03:17 AM »
Well, some like it and some don't. It's my gun so... :P

This SS cylinder has been loaded up for over a year. I wanted to SEE how long I can keep it loaded and do a report on it.

You notice that I have LIVE caps with the pink/red rubber gaurds on...I did that because I didn't want any air getting to the powder. Powder is FFG T7.

Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2015, 09:06:55 AM »
Johnny start out at 60 gr  ffg. if it is like my CVA (35 yr old)  max was 90gr.
But start at 60 and work your way up 5 gr at a time. Fire at least 3 shots at each 5 gr.
Since you are testing and sighting in and you want all conditions equal for each shot,
Use some rubbing alcohol and patches to swab each shot.  make sure flash channel and nipple
is clear after swabbing.  Easiest is to blow through the nipple.

When you get up to about 80 or 85  if the accuracy starts dropping off again, you have most likely reached your max
load for that rifle for that ball and patch combination.
Now stay at that load and fire at least 10 clean shots.  then fire 3 to 5 with out cleaning. See if there is a change in accuracy
between a clean and fouled bore.
If accuracy is acceptable there's your load. If not drop back 5 and repeat.

I also stock and sell the round balls and patches  in the .490.    both pillow ticking and the plain cotton. Also have the larger powder flask for rifles, and powder horn if you want.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:20:57 AM by DD4lifeusmc »
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 09:23:24 AM »
MD   I can't say if I really like the contrast of the SS against the blued or not.
But as you say, it's your gun and it's what you like.
Have fun shooting it.

But maybe if you shipped the thing here to me to fondle a bit I could decide better.......... )%R
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 09:33:34 AM »
DD4, are you crazy?  ^y%    Just Kidding!  (?^
That SS cylinder is waiting for when(Who knows when  ::))I get a SS 1858 Remmy.  ;)
I'm thinking doing like Johnnie does, he has 12 or 13(maybe more)cylinders. I just like to get maybe like 3 or 4 more cylinders for this 1858 Remmy.

I really want to get some fake stag grips for this pistol too.  {?|
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Remmie58

• Lie Free Zone
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 04:15:43 PM »
I really want to get some fake stag grips for this pistol too.  {?|
Check out the ones at gungrip.com

Offline Remmie58

• Lie Free Zone
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2015, 04:28:35 PM »
            I personally DO NOT LIKE Dual Colored Guns!  Due to an optical illusion that most of us Humans have, Silver colored guns always LOOK bigger that Blued guns, even though you KNOW they're the same size.                                                                                                          Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
What's wrong with that? I like that the Piettas are a little bigger than the Ubertis, & that the silver makes 'em look even bigger. A .44 should be fairly massive (wish I still had my Walker). Whadaya want, a pocket pistol? (Actually, I wish I still had my '60 Army snubnose, too.)  &j(
& BTW, with the brass triggerguard, the gun is already 2-tone.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 04:55:06 PM by Remmie58 »