Author Topic: Do you keep your BP revolvers loaded?  (Read 8724 times)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Do you keep your BP revolvers loaded?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 01:09:06 PM »
I've been known to leave one or two BP revolvers loaded for lengthy periods, but not for self defense.  My Glock is always on my hip, unless I'm in bed, in which case it is as accessible as any cap revolver..

For those who keep one loaded for self defense, try this;
Just one time, fire off two 30 grain charges of BP indoors, in a confined space about the size of your bedroom, at night.  I don't know; do it in a closed tent if you have to, using blanks, but try it just once.  Let us know if you're totally blinded or only 80% blinded, or how many shots it takes to become effectively blinded, whether it's two or three.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 01:41:10 PM »
 I don't depend on cap & balls 4 self defense, but if that was all I had, I certainly wouldn't feel naked. I store my guns and my cylinders separate, not for safety or legalities, just convenience. My cylinders are usually loaded in my range box. I cap em & seal em with fingernail polish. Some have been stored for months and still function fine. I think though now that I have plenty of cylinders, I may keep 1 empty for each gun, for handling, tinkering, or showing to friends. Maybe they need to mount a light under their Remmie barrels like I do on my Glock 34.  (?^ too see in the dark?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 05:37:37 PM by M9Powell »

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 01:49:18 PM »
For those who keep one loaded for self defense, try this;
Just one time, fire off two 30 grain charges of BP indoors, in a confined space about the size of your bedroom, at night.  I don't know; do it in a closed tent if you have to, using blanks, but try it just once.  Let us know if you're totally blinded or only 80% blinded, or how many shots it takes to become effectively blinded, whether it's two or three.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 05:40:02 PM »
 1 shot ll do it, but it works both ways. The target should get more muzzle flash than u. Plus he might be burning if he's close enough.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2015, 07:25:50 PM »
I was using a cotton towel once, as the top of a shooting rest, firing my Remington Army.  I noticed the towel smoldering after a few shots.

That's contact distance.  Three feet away?  I don't know, but I doubt you'd get the same result.  It depends.  I've used a lot of grease cookies, and I've seen them fizzle on the surface of a close paper target, but never set it to smoldering.  I've used the same load at 25 yards with no apparent thermal effects.

The very fine, light cotton fluff on the surface of a cotton garment can be set light surprisingly easily; say, just-washed terry cloth or new flannel.  Paper and other fabrics, not so much.  The thing with black powder is the short duration of the burn.  The few particles stuck in the remains of a grease cookie on the flat base of a bullet will burn more slowly, so for sure the load in question will be a factor.

Twice while hunting with black powder I've taken a shot, and then seen nothing but a smoke cloud, and when the smoke cleared, the target was simply gone as though it had dropped through a trap door in the ground.  It took me some moments to relocate it.  In one case more than a minute, I'd say.  In another case, several minutes, though the deer was found dead, down a bank some distance away.  On a third occasion I didn’t track the deer visually, due to the smoke, but was able to track it somewhat by the noise of the deer crashing through the brush in its death throes.

The more I hunt, the more I am impressed by the fact that much of the well-thought-out theory, much of the fair-weather range practice under controlled conditions, and much the testing and planning out your equipment suite, can be blown clean out of the realm of relevance.  I suspect than an actual, life-and-death armed confrontation with a human can be even more removed from theory and range practice.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2015, 06:20:38 PM »
The lowest life form imaginable is a crooked cop.  That’s like treason.  I’ve encountered very few of those though and that happily was in a court room; The People Vs. Crooked (Stinking Pig) Cop.  Those few are in prison now and will stay there for a good while. 

Never been jacked around by cops, not even as a long haired anti (particular ) war youngster back in the day.  They may shoot tear gas one’s way but it’s nothing personal.  Most cops in my experience, by a vast overwhelming majority, are up to die for ya if needs be. 

I commend the use of rock salt in theory; good for keeping folks out of the water melon patch and wood pile.  But modernly it could get you killed.  If the social interaction has so deteriorated that one is shooting - then one had just better be slingin lead out of the most modern up to date weapon readily available.
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2015, 09:33:44 PM »
I almost got pulled into doing this a few years ago when people started talking about it on just about any forum you went to. As others have stated "cap and ball would not be my first choice for defense" because I don't haft to. Our home is well protected. If all you have is a cap and ball than that may be better than a sling shot. No I don't leave them loaded anymore unless I plan on shooting them. Others can do what they feel like.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline rea98d

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 03:41:07 PM »
I have a Pietta 1851 .44cal that's been loaded for years.  At one time, it was my only gun, and I kept it loaded in case of break ins.  I knew it wasn't the ideal tool for the job, but it was what I had at the time.  Now I keep an Uberti 1873 Cattleman loaded with hollowpoints by my bed.  That's what I would grab first in the event of a break in. 

I can't even remember how much powder is in the 1851.  As soon as I get it fixed (trigger/bolt spring is broken) I'm going to take it out in the woods and unload it cowboy style.  It'll be interesting to see if it still fires after all this time.

I just got my first 1858 Remington last week, and it's already my favorite gun, and I haven't even fired it yet.  I like it much better than my Uberti .45 colt.  So much so, I'm considering selling the 1873 and buying one of the Uberti 1858s with the factory cartridge cylinder.  that would be my go-to defense gun.  The Remington is just so awesome if I were going to keep just one gun, that would be it.

Weather's cold, wet and nasty around these parts and one of my Grandpa's old hunting buddies still frequents our land, so it'll probably be after deer season before I get any significant range time with any of my six shooters.  In the mean time, I can still polish the brass on the 1851 and lovingly cradle (while unloaded, of course) the other two.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 05:11:22 PM »
In the house my first line of defense won't be a pistol of any kind. It's a 20 inch barreled 12 gauge pump that holds 6+1 of 00 buck and the one is already in the pipe with the hammer on half cock. There is no light on it, no laser, no pistol grip, no nothing. There will be no warning, no racking the slide. Just a soft click and a loud boom. If there's anything left after seven rounds of 00 then my 1911 will get me to the next shotgun.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 06:08:55 PM »
 (?^  Hawg, that's like me too!  {?|
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Online DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 07:56:21 PM »
of course it is. It's useless otherwise if needed
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2015, 08:22:58 PM »
Many years ago I was engaged to a former policeman...err...lady.  One night she heard noise and went into the hall from her bedroom, someone had just come in the window at the end of the hall.  She was in darkness so took her stance, cocked her revolver <CLICK> and yelled FREEZE in her best police voice.  The burglar feinted.  Too bad for him, he didn't even get to see that she was naked ('cept for the pistol).
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Paracelsus)
NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of California member

Offline 45 Dragoon

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2015, 11:01:20 PM »
Well,
 Since my "black powder" guns are all ca'tridge shooters, yes! Loaded! (No long guns)
1st is El Patron

2 nd (and from there on ) either of a pair of Dragoons (sometimes night stand)  or 5 1/2" Remie or '60 Army.

Usually the Patron is with me 24/7 but occasionally at home (and in the shop) I'll pick up the Remie.

On range day, it's everybody in the pot!!! Everyone gets to stretch there legs!!  And to make things simple,
they all eat .45 Colt (900 fps-ish).  When the ROA gated conversion shows up, it will get some carryin time as well!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2015, 01:08:28 AM »
In the house my first line of defense won't be a pistol of any kind. It's a 20 inch barreled 12 gauge pump that holds 6+1 of 00 buck and the one is already in the pipe with the hammer on half cock. There is no light on it, no laser, no pistol grip, no nothing. There will be no warning, no racking the slide. Just a soft click and a loud boom. If there's anything left after seven rounds of 00 then my 1911 will get me to the next shotgun.

I like Hawgs way of thinking. ->i
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2015, 09:17:59 PM »
Me too.
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.