1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Weather check  (Read 14259 times)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Weather check
« Reply #2175 on: February 06, 2019, 12:14:24 PM »
78 here, flowers are blooming. Bout time to start cutting grass.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2176 on: February 06, 2019, 06:20:41 PM »
guess it was pretty icy in Cheyenne so many wrecks cops couldn't keep up
stupid idiots don't know enough to slow down and allow more space to stop
4x4 won't help you stop any quicker

stayed home all day and watched movies
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2177 on: February 06, 2019, 08:19:55 PM »
DD; Ain't it so.  I've notice an inordinate number of 4 x 4s in the ditch.

However; the old-fashioned four wheel drive, as in pickups, will help you stop a bit better because no single wheel can lock up on one axle without locking up one wheel on the other axle, nor can you lock up both front wheels without locking up both rear wheels, etc.  If two wheels on the same axle lock, that stops that axle’s driveline, and the two drivelines are hard synched.  It’s either two wheels lock (one on each axle) or all four of them lock.  This is ignoring the electronic antilock systems in current vehicles of course.  Even so, I have ABS in my pickup, on one axle, and I can demonstrate that 4 x 4 still makes breaking better, for the above reason.  Just keep in mind that the front and rear drivelines are hard-coupled at the transfer case (the drivelines always turn at the same rate regardless of what’s happening in the two differentials), and then rest becomes obvious.  That’s what sets four wheel drive apart from “all-wheel drive”.

One thing the old 4 x 4 system really hurts is cornering-- There must always be some skidding just to make a turn.  Having front wheel steering only, it means that, in a turn, the front and rear drivelines should run at different rates (which they won't do) so two tires must skid.  That's "scrubbing" as I call it, and it's why you mustn't run in four wheel drive on dry pavement else you're putting extreme wear on the tires and the u-joint bearings, etc.  The only way to avoid that would be to have a third differential, installed between the two drivelines (which would reduce the rig's overall traction even more than having the two open differentials), or to have a symmetrical, four wheel steering system (which one of the companies actually tried some years ago, in a pickup, for a while).
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2178 on: February 07, 2019, 10:35:58 AM »
Freezing rain again today. We don't like ice!! Mailbox is 100 yards away, down one hill with icy sidewalk and then up the driveway to the road. My wife had a very hard time getting the mail yesterday. Needless to say, we are not going anywhere today, have cancelled 2 appointments.

Offline Bishop Creek

« Reply #2179 on: February 07, 2019, 10:58:36 AM »
17° for the low here this morning. Sunny, high predicted to be in the 30s this afternoon. -22° this morning just 60 miles north of me and over 10 feet of new snow in last three days 20 miles north of me. This is in North Eastern California.       

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2180 on: February 07, 2019, 11:36:13 AM »
Hi BC,

It's the season and your nearby Lake Sabrina is at almost 10,000 feet.  No wonder it's cold over your way.

53/35 F on the temperate coast in Mendocino County, CA.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Bishop Creek

« Reply #2181 on: February 07, 2019, 07:20:50 PM »
Hi G Dog! The 22 below zero temp this morning was recorded in Bridgeport, CA, a town you are familiar with. I'm sure it was colder in the nearby Bodie ghost town.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #2182 on: February 08, 2019, 07:10:21 AM »
21 and sunny here in Portageville, MO.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2183 on: February 08, 2019, 04:28:45 PM »
you're mostly right Omni
older pre-electronic 4x4's had limited slip diffs  so they wouldn't lock up easily, not just for turning
newer ones are the same the electronics just control the brakes so one wheel don't spin faster than the other, along with limited slip in some models
some are setup side to side but some are setup diagonal
anti lock is supposed to slow a wheel(S) down that is spinning faster than others during an urgent
stop so  you stop straighter instead of sliding into a skid it also works to help you get started on a slippery (icy) road
and 4 wheel disc helps a lot to

some older transfer cases had equivalent limited slip in them too so front and rear axles wouldn't lock up together
did you see where the electric cars are going to be adversely affected in cold weather? won't get the mileage nor the longevity and take longer to charge
------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2184 on: February 10, 2019, 02:24:05 PM »
DD; yeah, limited slip is a whole different deal.  I never knew any transfer cases had a dif built in, much less did I know they had limited slip.  That would be good.  I once had a '66 Chrysler Station wagon with the factory tow package, and it had a limited slip diff.  Very nice it was too, when things got icy I could cruise right past people who were spinning out on hills.  My current pickup has just the two open diffs and a hard lock at the transfer case.  Very basic, but it usually gets the job.

Blizzard conditions here now, with drifting snow.  Supposed to get more too.  Some road closures down south, west of the the "Tri-Cities" (Richland, Pasco and Kennewick, WA).  Around 20 degrees F here at the moment.  I just put 'er in 4 x 4 and take it easy.  So long as I can see where the road is I'm good to go.  No problem; just keep it between the ditches.  Biggest issue is other drivers, and pedestarians who don't understand the simplest laws of physics (can't stop for them quickly when they jump out into a crosswalk and I'm heading downhill in a 5,000 pound rig riding on snow).
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2185 on: February 11, 2019, 05:00:31 PM »
DD; yeah, limited slip is a whole different deal.  I never knew any transfer cases had a dif built in, much less did I know they had limited slip.  That would be good.  I once had a '66 Chrysler Station wagon with the factory tow package, and it had a limited slip diff.  Very nice it was too, when things got icy I could cruise right past people who were spinning out on hills.  My current pickup has just the two open diffs and a hard lock at the transfer case.  Very basic, but it usually gets the job.

Blizzard conditions here now, with drifting snow.  Supposed to get more too.  Some road closures down south, west of the the "Tri-Cities" (Richland, Pasco and Kennewick, WA).  Around 20 degrees F here at the moment.  I just put 'er in 4 x 4 and take it easy.  So long as I can see where the road is I'm good to go.  No problem; just keep it between the ditches.  Biggest issue is other drivers, and pedestarians who don't understand the simplest laws of physics (can't stop for them quickly when they jump out into a crosswalk and I'm heading downhill in a 5,000 pound rig riding on snow).
mid 70's dodge full time 4x4 had them  it was a cluster f
------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Rebel Dave

« Reply #2186 on: February 11, 2019, 05:32:38 PM »
Waiting for another 6-8 inches tonight, and tomorrow here in SE Wis.

Ive had lots of Dodge 4x4s over the years,never got stuck in snow or drifts. Me and my wife use to go bar hopping in my ole 93 Ramcharger, that truck went thru everything. Good ole trucks. I have a 2015 Ram 4x4 now. 

Getting my shovel ready for the driveway/skee jump. Im 75 yrs ole now. Wish we would have moved when we first retired.

Rebel Dave {?(

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #2187 on: February 11, 2019, 08:15:34 PM »
Been in the high 70's today. 64 now at 9:15 PM.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2188 on: February 14, 2019, 03:55:58 PM »
Sunny today in SC Wisconsin, temp got to 44*. Already dropping and will get to about 5* tonight. Winter is baaaack!

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2189 on: February 14, 2019, 05:43:19 PM »
I am about 15 miles west of Cheyenne not much wind today and no precip.
but at the Walmart warehouse exit about 5 miles out semis were piled up waiting to go west
the summit was closed   but roads were clear of snow
------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776