Author Topic: Capping  (Read 4462 times)

Offline Roadhouse

• I would gladly pay you Tues for a hamburger today
Re: Capping
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 07:41:43 PM »
GOD*GUNS*FREEDOM

Offline Wink

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 04:48:41 AM »
the one and only state operated range in our huge state, will ask you to leave if you try to bring any weapon to the line not in a case. 22, shotgun or hand gun. and they better be unloaded. now we can have a bp gun with ball and powder in our vehicle on the way to the range, as long it isn't capped but the range will not let you bring it to the line with powder and ball, in the gun. go figure. but they are nice guys. just very strict rules.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2015, 08:23:31 AM »
IDK   as good as some of Johnnies stories are and his diehard ways of doing things his way, maybe he should go bear hunting.
wouldn't need no weapons, he could just sit down and talk the bear to death!  ->i
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2015, 12:33:39 PM »
 What about taking a cased uncylindered revolver to the line and then loading it with capped cylinders stored in plastic containers? Seems about the same as an Auto with no magazine to the line with loaded mags. 

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2015, 12:55:53 PM »
Hi M9, if someone wanted to shoot at my private range I would insist that a BP handgun isn't capped until the person is at the firing line with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. A capped cylinder can fall to allow discharge of a capped chamber. While the velocity is only ~300fps, a discharged ball could do serious damage.

Having said that, I regularly bring capped cylinders to my private range for shooting. If I have an incident, it's my range, my property, and my risk. Then I can tell stories like Johnnie on how I shot myself.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2015, 03:29:36 PM »
 I don't think it'd be any more dangerous than an auto with loaded mags. That's how I do it. I seal the primers with fingernail polish. Your range, you make the rules. But I've never had anyone call me on it. You can go overboard you know. And that's coming from a 28 year military competition shooter, armourer, range operator/ small arms instructor. No one ever shot themselves or others on my watch. But I mostly dealt with pros, not boot camp. I've seen ADs in the field, dealt with runaway M60s. Seen M16s start cooking off rds, etc. I once saw an M 14 blow up. Best I could figure it was an out of battery slam fire. Not the shooters fault. Luckily it was pointed down range. No one was hurt. I have seen overworked tired GI's sit in the back of a duece and a half with a M16 butt on the floor with their chin resting on the muzzle asleep. They had worked so long and so hard I hated having to chew them out.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 06:01:54 PM »
Dear G-Dog,
            I am not at all sure what Fuzzy-Wizzies look like!  I thought they were from somewhere in North Africa! And if you read that post again, you will see it was only THREE trespassers I shot.  I feel I was lucky, for to finance a deal of that type, against a top secret unit, must have needed Mucho Dinero.  The ONLY way those men could have reached the shores of the Atoll, was if a submarine had surfaced in the lee of the slight rise of the island and had set them loose in an inflatable of some kind.  It was rumored that a rubber boat of some kind had been found, (Damaged.) by some of the SP's. I never saw any of it. They kept me in the sick-Quarters tent until they flew me back to Blighty, with my head still ringing with threats of what would happen to me if I ever breathed a word of what had happened!  However that was about 1957/8, and anything THAT old would not be Top Secret any more I wouldn't think! Besides which, I am no longer a British Subject!  So Sucks Boo, to the Official Secrets Act!  I DON"T CARE ANYMORE!  Since I left the RAF, I married, had two daughters, lived in France for about a year, Emigrated to Australia for three years, then came here in 1977. Got my citizenship in 1982, and don't even want to VISIT England, EVER AGAIN!
            I have read of people who have killed other People, and they have had bad dreams afterwards.  That never happened in my case. Yet during WW II, my Dad had a bad nightmare, and my Mom woke uo with his hands around her throat, and Dad saying over and over, "You Swine!  Mom hit him on the head with her flashlite, and he awoke. When he learned what he had done, he was most contrite. He told her he had been dreaming of the time in France, in about 1915, when he was trying to nab a German Sentry, and the man heard him, and Dad killed him with his rifle & Bayonet! Apparently Dad had had that nightmare several times, but he reckoned Mom had cured it with the flashlite, because that was the last time he ever dreamed it!  Mom told me a  lot of things he told her over the years, after he had passed on. It seemed Dad didn't want his son to know he had killed men. Not even German Soldiers!
            Maybe if I had had to defend myself with a Bayonet, I might have had nightmares!  I have always been afraid of Knives.  To me, the thought of someone slicing through my flesh with a blade, has an extremely High Pucker Factor!
            DD4life, I am deathly afraid of Bears! Ever since I learned a bit more about them, and found out that an Adult Bear, can cover the first fifty yards of a charge, from a standing,(Or sitting) start in THREE SECONDS!  Just imagine the power needed to move an animal that may weigh a TON, from a stationary position, FIFTY YARDS IN THREE SECONDS!  No Sir, I'll leave them critturs to the money'd men who own BIG HIGH POWER Rifles!  Like for instance, Weatherby .460 Magnum's!  Bears never show any expression on their faces.  There's no way you can tell if he(Or she!) is really Pissed off or not!  They justlook all big and cuddly, but they have learned that Man is Bad News, and can dismember a big man in the twinkling of an eye! I'll watch MY bears on You Tube, or those tales about the Alaskan Highway Patrol! I KNOW that THOSE bears cant leap out of my monitor and eat my Ass!!  The way my Arthritis is, I can't even run at all any more.  Not that it would do any good to run from an animal that can cover fifty yards in three seconds!  I reckon that being chewed on by a Grizzly Bear, must be
the most Awfull way to die, ever! 
                                                                                     Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
PS:  DD4life: Sorry if I talk too much! You see I'm retired, and talking with you guys is really all l I have to do!  I'd like to shoot more, but to get to, "my," patch of Desert, would take about a quarter of a tank of Gas!  The powder I could afford. It's the GO Juice that is so expensive!  Hope you'll forgive me!
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2015, 06:30:44 PM »
Hey Johnnie --- I did not know you had lived in France.  What part?  What was that like for you?    Did ya get on with the frogs OK?

As an aside:  One of my favorite stories is of the time you were headed west out of Flagstaff driving an eighteen wheeler in a blizzard.  Must have been on U.S. 40?  I've driven that in most all weathers, but not in a full blizzard and only in a car.  Bout got killed by a drunk Indian on that stretch.  He was making a U-turn through the Westbound lanes and trying to head back east on the wrong side of the drun freeway.  I won't soon forget that. 

I give my caps a press with a little flat stick (pop cycle/lolly stick) just like you.  Even CCI's tend to stay on.

You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 01:18:44 AM »
 Johnny, I used to do quite a bit of baar hunting in my younger days. They can and do give warning signs if they want u to vacate the premises. Rising up on hind legs, then smacking the ground with their front paws, woof woof. Growls. If he is doing that, he is warning you. Of course they are also ambush killers of deer, so if he is looking for supper, don't expect a warning. Forget out running him. The way to stop a bear is to break a shoulder. Heavy slow bullets. I used 44 mag, 45 Colt, 35 Remington works well, 45-70 & even 8mm Mauser. Most of the time bears around here will run from you, they have been hunted enough to learn fear. Most were shot out of the tree with 44 and 45 revolvers. You know on second thought I never hunted bear, the dogs hunted bear, I hunted for the dogs.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2015, 02:54:53 AM »
  I've witnessed a couple of agitated black bears making a blowing noise. One was a sow with cubs and the other one I couldn't see, only hear. I watched how fast a 300 pounder could run that was being shot at. The amazing thing was it was going straight up a steep canyon wall at a full gallop. Incredible animals!
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2015, 11:54:41 AM »
Johnnie you know i was just funning with ya!

Speaking of bears.   just for Johnnie!

------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2015, 02:17:30 PM »
Dear DD4life,
            Well I was certainly HOPING you were just putting me on.  I first became interested in bears, when I saw a short film on TV, about Black Bears. I believe it was filmed in Pennsylvania, but am not sure.  In one shot of this bear, climbing a tree, the bear must have decided to rest his legs, for he clamped his jaws onto a branch that was jutting out from the trunk of the tree, and let go with all four feet, and just hung there by his jaws for about a minuite and a half!  The guy who was speaking the blurb in the background, said he reckoned the bear was about a 600 pounder!  Just imagine the strength of those Jaws!Then in another part of the same video, he showed a TV Show that had gone sadly wrong!  Apparently bears can be really turned on, (Or off!) by certain smells. On this show, they had a supposedly tame bear, very friendly and docile.  The female host of the show appeared, and sat down on a chair about two feet from the bear. It seems that ladies perfumes are made from some very peculiar substances!  Like the scent (Stink?) glands of a civet Cat for example.  They didn't say what perfume the woman was wearing, and I don't know if they ever did find out what it was that set the bear off, but as soon as the woman sat down, he attacked here Tooth and Nail!  Three guys jumped on the bear and tried to pull the animal off her, but they might as well have been Mosquitos for all the good they did, Finally one shot some kind of chemical spray into the bear's nose and eyes, which distracted him enough for them to get the woman to safety! The bear looked quite a stout animal!  They never did say what the extent of the poor woman's Injuries were, but at one point, the bear seemed to have most of her head in his mouth!.
            Then I joined up with this local Wild West Group, who put on a show at Glendale's (AZ.) Annual Frontier/wild West Days Do! A regular guest of Honor is Dan Haggerty, who used to play the lead role of "Grizzly Adams!"  I never knew until I got talking to him, but the man has been training Wild Animals since he was a pre-teen!   He's trained over twenty Lions and several of the other Big Cats, Tigers included!  I told him that I was VERY  WARY of bears, and that when I saw these tourist films, showing crowds of people in very close proximity to bears, my blood ran cold, and I was in continual suspense as to when one of them would get Pissed off, and EAT someone!  Dan said that my attitude was a very healthy one!  He was telling me about the Huge Bear that acted(?) with him on the Show. He said he had owned her since she was a tiny orphan cub, about ten inches long. He'd bottle fed her, and knew her very well, and was very adept at recognising her moods.  He said there had been times when although a shoot had been scheduled at a certain time, he sensed that it would have been unwise to ask her to perform that day, and the show had to wait!  I told him about a tale I had been told by a guy in Wyoming in 1974.  Bus Badger, who my then wife and I stayed with for a week, when we had a vacation in the USA, just a few months before we went to Australia, told me of how he and his wife, Maureen, had been taking a trip through Wyoming, and had come to a scenic overlook of some kind!  They got out of the car, and noticed a crowd of people, clustered around one of the other cars.  They went to get a closer look at what was going on, and Bus suddenly shouldered his way to the hood of the car, (Maureen telling the tale at this point!) This Idiot Tourist Woman, had somehow seen this very young bear cub, had gone over to it, picked it up, and had sat it on the hood of her car, then put her infant son next to it, and was having a photo session!!! Bus apparently shouldered people out of the way, grabbed the bear cub, and pitched it over the guard rail, where it rolled down the slope aways, then shouted with great urgency to EVERYONE, "Get back into your cars NOW! Shut all windows and doors, and get the HELL OUTA HERE!" Maureen who was no fool, was already running for their car, and she and bus were NOT the last car to leave that Scenic Overlook!  Bus said, that the carnage that might have occurred, had Momma Bear suddenly noticed that her baby was not around, and had come looking for it, did not bear thinking about! (Pun unintended!!!) 
            I have been watching on Netflix, some of the episodes of the series on, "The Alaskan State Troopers."  Those guys are Wonderful Drivers! I don't know if they speed the driving sequences up at all, but those Troopers drive on snow covered roads at speeds I wouldn't ATTEMPT!  And I drove professionally for YEARS!  I guess if they were brought up to it..............?
They sometimes get much too close to the big bears than I am happy with, but I do know that a skilled camera man can make things look a whole lot different than they actually are!  So maybe the Cops are a lot safer than they look on the Screen! Sure hope so! Like I said before, being eaten by a Grizzly Bear must be a Horrible Way To End one's Life!
            I watched that movie, "Grizzly Man."  I thought it was a Crock of Excement!  The young man was nothing bt a fowl-mouthed Hippie! The Twit could not open his mouth without the "F" word spilling out many times.  In fact the ONLY part of the film I DID like, was the shots where he had made friends with some Red Foxes. The foxes showed no fear of him, and one even lay on it's back and permitted him to stroke it's belly!  I once caught a tiny fox cub when I was in England.  I picked it up and cuddled it, and wanted to keep it, but we had a dog at home, and I didn't want to see the poor thing bitten by the dog, or have my Mom make me set it free in a place where it would not be able to survive, so I carried it back to the last place I had seen it running fee, and gave it a last cuddle, before setting it down!  Then years later, I saw a woman in Coventry, in a store, and the Fox Fur she was wearing suddenly Moved!  I was with my first wife , and she saw it too and squealed with delight!  The lady who was wearing the fox, laughed and told us she had found him apparently abandoned, and  had made a pet of him Adele and I both stroked him gently, and he seem to appreciate the attention. Adele asked the lady if any of her neighbors kept Chickens, and the lady laughed and said,"Not as far as she knew!"  He was a really magnificent animal, well fed, in fact a trifle plump, had a beautiful glossy red coat, and his brush, was nothing short of Magnificent!
            Thanks for the Balls, Patches, etc. I really appreciate the Little Elk skin Pouch!  Thank you very much also for the TOTALLY unexpected Conicals, and the R.E.A.L. bullets. I shall have fun (When I can afford the GAS!!!) trying those out, and making notes on where they group in relation to their points of aim!  I assume the conicals do NOT need a Patch? (BUT what if I am wrong?)    Best wishes,                                            Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2015, 02:59:51 PM »
Horses hate them.  It’s a rare mount that will be comfortably controllable within 200 yards of even a little ol’ black bear (which are sometimes not all that little come to think of it). 

Visited school friends up in Sitka and environs once years ago.  Out in the country there (say a hundred yards out of town) it was fun to see little hippy type chicks hip strapin big .44 mags while they push a baby stroller on rural lanes.  In Spring the rule was 'don't leave home without it'.
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 04:46:28 PM »
Dear G-Dog,
            The way I fear bears, in any area where Grizzlies or Polar Bears MIGHT be found, I'd only feel safe if I had a guide with me, who was lovingly fondling a .460 Weatherby Mahnum!  I got to know peresonally, Dan Haggarty, (Giizzly Adams.)  He has been a wild Animal Trainer since he was Pre-Teen!After hearing about what some bears have done to people, and just how FAST they can move, (Three seconds for a fifty yard dash! Standing or sitting start!!!!) well all I want between me and a Grizzly Bear is DISTANCE! LOT'S of DISTANCE! There is just something about the idea of having my living flesh torn off my body, and of how very painful that would be, that has an EXTREMELY HIGH PUCKER FACTOR for me!
            I am also very wary of knives.  I have a really nice knife on my Gunbelt. Took me awhile to find the blade I wanted!
I was looking fro a knife that LOOKED WESTERN, but that also had a sufficiently rounded curve to the cutting edge, to be a good skinner!  I skinned or helped to skin quite a few Kangaroo's in Australia.
            I used to go deer hunting in Arkansas. My then Wife had two Brothers, Terry & John, both keen hunters and Fishermen. They both came to our Motel Room the morning after our wedding,(We were married at Terry's House.) They dragged me out of bed to go fishing!  Said they weren't going to have a brother-in-Law in the family, who didn't know how to Fish! Great Guys both of them!
                                                                                     Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 10:42:26 PM »
NO  you do NOT use patches on any of the conicals I sent you.
Just apply some lube to the lube  grooves  be rather generous

See the shooting I did today at the coffee can, in  what's going on today in off topic.
------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776