Author Topic: pistol primers?  (Read 15353 times)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
pistol primers?
« on: December 20, 2014, 05:11:17 PM »
I had posted, somewhere.... about using a short piece of tubing that held a small pistol primer as a substitute for caps. Got to wondering if that actually worked so cut a short piece (.226" long) of the tubing I had gotten from Johnnie a while ago. I pushed a small pistol primer into the end and pushed that onto a nipple. The tubing was of a length that it held the primer on the end of the nipple with just  a bit of room at the bottom. I don't know if that was necessary, but took it out onto the deck to touch her off. HEY, it DOES work!! {?| The down side is the slowness in seating the primer in the tubing, not the easiest thing for these ancient , arthritic fingers. I'll have to work on that aspect; maybe a little chamfer on the end, or some tool that will seat the primers? Anyone else done this? I know it's not traditional, but with the scarcity of caps and all....and primers are less than half the price of caps, and readily available.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
Re: pistol primers?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 05:53:42 PM »
I was thinking of standing the tube up, pushing a primer in from the top with the anvil up (so the primer's rounded edges are starting the plunge into the tube), then using the nipple to press the primer the rest of the way in (pushing on the tube to slide it over the nipple).

That assures the primer is flush with the nipple.
You use standard or magnums?
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 10:02:53 AM »
Yes, I have thought of pushing the primer all the way through, just never tried it. I drilled a short hole into a scrap piece of walnut and used that as a gauge to cut a few of the tubing lengths. Now to figure out how to seat those tiny primers (maybe something along the lines of those old shotgun priming tools).  And I just used a standard primer; haven't tried this with a loaded cylinder yet, but the flash out of the muzzle was impressive.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 11:01:38 AM »
Interesting.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Kaboom

• too many hobbies, too little time.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 01:09:28 PM »
Class, it just hit me what you said about standing the tube up and pushing the primer INTO it. Why not treat it like a primer pick-up tube for the loading press and place the primer rounded side up and press the tube DOWN onto the rounded side of the primer, the proceed to push it onto the nipple? Seems to me that might be a bit easier. Just like picking up primers for the loading press. I do that for every shell I reload.  Just a thought. If I'm reading this wrong, then my bad and ignore my suggestion.
 (^h
Black Powder smoke is my aromatherapy!

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 06:38:48 PM »
I agree, the pushing of the rounded end of the primer into the tubing would make that easier. I was just concerned about pushing the primer the ~1/4"  through to the end. I"ll have to try that out.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 10:10:56 PM »
Class, it just hit me what you said about standing the tube up and pushing the primer INTO it. Why not treat it like a primer pick-up tube for the loading press and place the primer rounded side up and press the tube DOWN onto the rounded side of the primer, the proceed to push it onto the nipple? Seems to me that might be a bit easier. Just like picking up primers for the loading press. I do that for every shell I reload.  Just a thought. If I'm reading this wrong, then my bad and ignore my suggestion.
 (^h

Let's extend that thought one more step.
At the shop, "pickup" the primers so they are fully in the tube, anvil end flush with the end of the tube.
Gather as many primered tubes as you wish to shoot, dump them into a pouch, go to the range.

At the range, load your cylinder, then pick a primered tube and press the tube primer-end (anvil end) onto the nipple until the tube and primer are flush at the hammer end of the tube.

Offline Prospector

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 10:17:19 PM »
Which revolver are you doing this with?  Is there enough room between the frame and the back of the primer that is seated on the end of the nipple?

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 09:48:14 AM »
This is on the Pietta '58 Remmie. Here is a picture of the cylinder with one adapter installed:

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 11:08:02 AM »
Mazo, in that picture...you have a small pistol primer in there?
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 01:53:36 PM »
That is correct!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 05:37:22 AM »
Mazo, and it fires good?
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 09:03:05 AM »
Well, I just loaded up the one and it fired great!  {?| I am working on a device that MAY help me load the primers quicker and easier; we'll see. M__

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 01:11:04 PM »
I'm thinking that with a full charge, and depending on the composition of the tubing, the plastic tubing will blow open, something like the brass caps do.  That'd make it a one shot proposition.  Doesn't mean it won't work though.  I bet it'll work fine.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 01:24:17 PM »
My money is on the tube backing off, but not falling off.  The cap skirts shatter and that allows the spent caps to drop.  The plastic (my guess is) will expand, lift most way off, then shrink back to size, re-grab the nipple, and hang up the rotation.