Author Topic: Converted Inline  (Read 2223 times)

Offline grayflynt

• misplaced mountain man
Converted Inline
« on: November 14, 2014, 11:23:29 PM »
Howdy fellas , don't know if any one has ever thought about converting an inline but as I was sitting here one evening looking at my new to me H&R Huntsman .45 cal inline I noticed that the breech plug and one of my .45 rounds were really close to the same length so I grabbed my caliper and did some measuring . Much to delight it turns out it should work. Any how to make a long story short, I fired up my lathe and turned a conversion plug , and obviously I had to try it out . Took it to the woods the next day along with 25 .45 colt rounds (black powder of course) and pulled the trigger on all 25, The blasted thing worked and did it very well. Any how 3 weeks later deer season rolls around and YEP you guessed it , about 40 lbs of deer sausage and steaks and such!

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
Re: Converted Inline
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 11:39:14 AM »
Nifty idea, the concept well-proven by several different conversion caliber makers.
You gonna turn a few more conversion kits, let them be for sale?
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 06:53:46 PM »
Sound's like an interesting experiment!
Nothing expresses Liberty more, than the report of a rifle shot fired in the defense of Freedom.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 06:41:38 AM »
Hi grayflynt, that is a good idea there.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 08:05:16 AM »
Hi grayflynt

do you by any chance have some pictures of the job? Would be interesting to see.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 08:08:24 AM »
+1 to what Len said.

How would you do a .50cal Black Powder?
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Prospector

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 07:31:34 PM »
Hi Grayflynt,
I will understand if you do not want to post particulars in case you want to make money off of your invention, but I am filled with curiosity about how you did this conversion.  Does the new breach plug have to be unscrewed to reload?  From pictures I have seen, it appears that this is a break action, so I was curious if your conversion allows it to be reloaded just by breaking open the action like the modern cartridge rifles and shotguns.  If so, what about an extractor?

Offline grayflynt

• misplaced mountain man
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 12:39:30 PM »
Hey guys sorry it took so long to get back to ya ,I was freezin my arse off up in the high country. hey classanr it did cross my mind to make a few every now an then. Len I do have some pictures but for some reason I can't get them to post but I'll keep trying. Mad Dog I think for a .50 it would have to be either a .50 cartridge (.50-70) or a full barrel insert and I have been thinkin on that one for mine 30-30 , 22 hornet . Prospector ,particulars don't really matter and it is fairly simple the breech plug is bored to long colt specs. Open the rifle put the round in close and shoot.as far as extraction ,with bp loads cases dont really swell and stick so a thumb nail has been working so far . and no fellas I have any luck up high.

Offline Erich

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 11:30:27 AM »
Neat thread - gets a fellow thinking . . .  :)