1858 remington forum

Author Topic: IAB Marcheno  (Read 4553 times)

Offline bigblue

IAB Marcheno
« on: March 14, 2014, 06:34:37 PM »
I found an IAB Marcheno .54 sharps in like new condition. it has the long round barrel. what's a decent price for that gun and what is the quality for that brand? the seller is asking 625

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: IAB Marcheno
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 09:02:27 PM »
I have an IAB .54. Quality is decent but its no Pedersoli. Mine has a 29 inch octagon barrel, single trigger, no checkering and didn't have long range sights when I got it. It does shoot very well but I wouldn't give that much for one. I didn't like the plastic looking finish on it so I stripped it and stained it and added a long range tang sight. It doesn't have a sliding chamber sleeve but the breech plate is removable. If it hasn't been removed after firing it will be a booger to get off, mine was.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline bigblue

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 09:15:13 PM »
thanks for the info.

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 12:41:55 AM »
My Good Hawg -
I have the identical IAB rifle, in .54 . It was the cheapest Sharps I could find, I recall I paid ~ $400 for the rifle, 2 tang sites, case, coffee can full of bullets, and some other crap treasures.

My Dear BigBlue-

Regarding the IAB, their quality has varied up and down throughout the years.
I initally had trouble getting it to fire reliably - I replace the standard nipple with a musket nipple and the musket caps helped somewhat . I tore it down completely and discovered the breechblock fire channel  was a rats nest of metal "trash" left in it during manufacture! I cleaned it all out by reaming the spaces with a series of drill bits, breaking a few it the process. Once the fire channel was cleared it finally "went off" reliably. Then I started working on the lockworks and the atrocious trigger pull ....

I knew I was getting into a "project"  and I went into it knowing it would be like a "kit" .

I have used paper cartridges and loose powder to good effect, with loose powder one can get ~ 90 gr FF behind a ~450 gr christmas-tree bullet .... which effectivley makes it a .54-90-450 ! ( BTW that load does in fact hurt )

I also ~ 10 of the brass .54 "cartridges" - they work "ok" but don't hold much powder and being rimless are a pain to extract.

Trying to Find a "good" .54 bullet mold that fits this bore these last ~12 years has also been difficult.

I have recently acquired an IAB barrel in .45-70. If I can get the .54 off without damage I plan to give that a try... years ago I once saw (and was bidding on ) a Pedersoli Sharps Percussion that had been equiped with a .45-70 cartridge barrel and about 40 of the old "Everlast" 45-70 cartridges. By leaving the primer hole empty the user had made it into a "percussion transitional cartridge" gun .

yhs
prof marvel

Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 12:07:50 PM »

I have used paper cartridges and loose powder to good effect, with loose powder one can get ~ 90 gr FF behind a ~450 gr christmas-tree bullet .... which effectivley makes it a .54-90-450 ! ( BTW that load does in fact hurt )

I can get 110 grains behind a 490 grain christmas tree. I have tried 100 and its very accurate but has a lot of flash out the bottom. I use 80 now which is much more accurate than 90 out of my rifle.

Trying to Find a "good" .54 bullet mold that fits this bore these last ~12 years has also been difficult.

I use a Moose Mould 557-490 ringtail. Its kind of expensive at 125 bucks for a double cavity mold but you just can't find a mold for these. I know the 557 sounds too big but the rear driving band is the only one  that big. Pure lead will lead the bore but clip on wheel weights do not.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline prof marvel

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 09:56:34 PM »
I use a Moose Mould 557-490 ringtail. Its kind of expensive at 125 bucks for a double cavity mold but you just can't find a mold for these. I know the 557 sounds too big but the rear driving band is the only one  that big. Pure lead will lead the bore but clip on wheel weights do not.

Zounds ! you have hit upon the formula my Good Hawg! I just now saw the results in your other thread. There is Still Hope, so I shall putz with screw around with some boolet experimentation.

Do you by any chance  have the dimensions on that mold, or could I by any strectch of the imagination persuade you to sell me a few ?

yhs
prof marvel
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 03:17:47 AM »
If you're not in a hurry I'll cast some up. I need to cast some anyway but dunno when I'll get a chance.

Offline prof marvel

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 10:39:38 PM »
If you're not in a hurry I'll cast some up. I need to cast some anyway but dunno when I'll get a chance.

My Good Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar , my thanks to you!
I have plenty of time - Please PM me and we can discuss particulars.
yhs
prof marvel

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 09:30:16 PM »
I haven't any experience at all with the paper cutter sharp's, I am curious, do you leave the hammer down before opening the action, or do you place it at half cock?

Hawg, what type of vernier sight are you using and is it adjustable for windage? Or do you use the front sight for windage adjustment?

The paper cutter's intrigue me with their short span in firearm history's transitional period.
Nothing expresses Liberty more, than the report of a rifle shot fired in the defense of Freedom.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 03:16:10 AM »
Hammer on half cock but it will open with it down. The sight is a Pedersoli Creedmore. It is somewhat adjustable for windage but when you change elevation if you're not careful you lose your windage setting. There are better sights out there but they are priced accordingly.

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 10:21:17 AM »
Thanks Hawg!  I have heard about possible damage when opening ctg. sharp's without hammer at half cock. I was just wondering if the percussion sharp's were the same.  Like all firearms, they interest me.
Nothing expresses Liberty more, than the report of a rifle shot fired in the defense of Freedom.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 03:25:55 PM »
Dear Friends,
            Prior to, "The Divorce," I had a percussion Sharps 1859 Carbine. (Reproduction, but I forget the maker.)  I made some paper cartridges for it, but they were a PITA to make. Very "Fiddley!"  The gun worked very well with Holy Black, but did not like Pyrodex.  Ignition was sometimes a problem, and while I stand to be corrected by members more knowledgeable on Sharps than I, I had the impression that the passage from percussion cap to powder had too many corners for the flash to turn!.  When I used it in Gunfight re-enactions, a noticeable Hang-fire could be heard.  I saw this strange phenomena also in the Movie, "Last Stand AT Saber River," with Tom Selleck. Toward the end of the movie, Cabel, (Mr.Selleck's character.) is treed up behind a large rock by some gunmen and a murdered Rancher's Brother, (Played by Keith Carridene!) who wrongly suspect Cable of shooting the rancher.  Cable's wife, (Played excellently by Suzie Amiss.) comes riding in just in time to set the record straight on that matter, and rescues her husband by shooting one of the men in the back at point blank range! During the preceding fight, Cable is being shot at with Spencer Rifles, which play a big part in the movie, and when these men fired their Spencer's at Cable, one can hear a slight but distinct hesitation in their fire. Instead of Bang, they sound Ker-Bang. The pause is less than a half second, but it is there, and that is exactly like my Sharps Repro used to sound with blank charges!  With a .54 conical in there, there was no hesitation whatsoever!  I remember thinking that since it was a reproduction gun, why didn't they bore a straight hole from the nipple cavity, diagonally through the breechblock, and save a lot of frustration! What I do NOT understand, is that Spencer's were  CARTRIDGE WEAPON, and therefore the ignition should have been instantaneous!  Does anyone else have the DVD of, "Last Stand At Saber River," and if so, have you also noticed the slight hang fires in that penultimate gunfight!  It is an excellent Movie, and a side bonus is the acting of the two children who play Cable's Son & Daughter.  The boy is the younger, and VERY Cute.  When Luz, the young (And beautiful!!!) Mexican girl brings the news that the War (Of Northern Aggression!) is over, he looks at his mother, and say's "Who won?" The look that his sister gives him is priceless!  I must have watched that movie seven or eight times, and writing about it has reminded me it is time I saw it once more!
            I have a,"Three Pack of Tom Selleck's films. "Crossfire Trail," "Last Stadat Saber River," and, "Monte Walsh."  I do not like any of the three films they have made of this fine book by Jack Schaefer.  They try and "Improve," on the book, and I don't think that story CAN be improved upon!  Each and every time, they have Chet Rollins, who was Mote's Saddle Pard for Years when they both worked for the Slash Y outfit, get shot to death, when he marries and opens a General Store!  Monte dies at the end of the book, when he gets pneumonia, following a heroic dash in the pouring rain to save a train from falling into a canyon when the bridge over the canyon is partly washed away.  At the very end of the book, Chet Rollins is sitting by Monte's grave,and thinking over the many years they were pardners. He utters the last words, of the book, when he say's, "It's a lonely Old World!"  Mr. Selleck's version of Monte is perhaps the best of a bad lot, for it is an entertaining Movie.  But the book is SO GOOD,that it spoils one for the trash that Hollywierd spews out!  A movie that followed the story line of the book more faithfully, would be infinitely Better!
            Apologies for going so far off the thread, but the Sharps got me to thinking about my much mourned copy, and that got me thinking about the blank Hangfires, which in turn got me remembering the movie, where Spencer's seemed to have the same problem, and so on!
                                                                                                        Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 05:39:23 PM »
No the Sharp's does not work well with Pyrodex but it works exceptionally well with Swiss.