Photobucket

Hosted by: 1858Remington.com

Poll

How many cylinders to you have for your 1858 Remington?

1 - Just the one that came with the pistol
13 (38.2%)
2 to 3
12 (35.3%)
4 to 5
3 (8.8%)
6 to 7
1 (2.9%)
8 to 9
1 (2.9%)
More than 9
4 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: September 29, 2013, 03:19:51 PM

Author Topic: How many cylinders to you have for your 1858 Remington?  (Read 1457 times)

celem

• Email
How many cylinders to you have for your 1858 Remington?
« on: September 22, 2013, 03:19:51 PM »
I have 3 cylinders, including the one that came with my Pietta 1858 Remington 5.5". I load before going to the range and can get off 18 shots before it is time to reload. While I reload I do cylinder loads, off the gun. on the range table. I am seriously contemplating buying a couple of additional cylinders, maybe have 5 or 6 in total, and I was curious what others are doing.

Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
    • Black Powder Times
    • Email
Re: How many cylinders to you have for your 1858 Remington?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 03:28:18 PM »
Just the ones that came with the guns and they're not interchangeable.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

BlackPowderTimes.com

Fingers McGee

• VIP Member
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 04:50:48 PM »

And you don't really need any more than that.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Black Powder Times
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 05:05:01 PM »

And you don't really need any more than that.

Haven't so far. I did have an extra for one because it had a bad drag ring and I got a deal on a new one. Never used it after it was replaced tho.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

BlackPowderTimes.com

AZyogi

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 06:50:21 PM »
I said 7 but I have three remmies...

Saranac Sam

• Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 08:22:35 PM »

I have two for the 58, for a while I thought I might get into CAS shooting but decided it would be too much work.  I can swap the cylinders in and out with no problems regarding timing or lock up.  This is a Pietta, no drag marks on the cylinder (that's caused by the cylinder bolt being too high, it can be polished down to prevent drag marks).
  For what it's worth, I also have two Pietta 60s: four cylinders, two 8-inch barrels and one 4-5/8 barrel.  I have swapped them all around from frame to frame, shot them with no problem, no cylinder drag marks, nada.  Good timing and lock up regardless of how I mix and match barrels and cylinders.  That says a lot for Pietta's quality control.
  If I had to do it over again, I probably would not worry about extra cylinders for the kind of casual shooting I do.  However, now that the money's spent, I'm glad I've got them.
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 05:24:29 AM »
I marked 2. I just have a extra SS one.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Wolfgang

• Wolfgang's Wild West
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 05:29:47 AM »
How many Cylinders . . . ?    that is simple . . . LOTS of 'em.    three that are cartridge . . . . and a whole bunch of cap & ball. . . :)
Beware the man with one gun,.... he probably knows  how to use it.

jimnbubba

• Email
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 03:16:19 PM »
Really? Must be a man with big bucks

Wolfgang

• Wolfgang's Wild West
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 07:09:45 PM »
I'd bought a few when they weren't too high from Cabellas.   Ordered another every time I place an order to them . . . . then on the SASS classifieds someone offered 5 of them for $100 !  ;D   I jumped on that offer . . . . to the chagrin of a few other Remington shooters that missed out.   :)
Beware the man with one gun,.... he probably knows  how to use it.

delmar

• BP 1
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 07:16:18 PM »
That was a good purchase!

outlan22

• Email
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 07:33:28 PM »
Have 4, three original and one replica  for my original 44 cal 1858 Remmi. Sadly only the one for my Remmi 1861 conversion to 44 colt.

Outlan

Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Black Powder Times
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 02:28:27 AM »
no drag marks on the cylinder (that's caused by the cylinder bolt being too high, it can be polished down to prevent drag marks).

Actually the main reason for drag marks is letting the hammer down from half cock. When you do that the bolt is against the cylinder between notches and if it turns which they very easily do you get a mark.

BlackPowderTimes.com

mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 08:02:44 AM »
I just have the (percussion) cylinders that came with the guns. I do have 4 conversion cylinders. Actually, my 36 came with the conversion cylinder and NO percussion one!

Saranac Sam

• Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 08:30:59 AM »
no drag marks on the cylinder (that's caused by the cylinder bolt being too high, it can be polished down to prevent drag marks).

Actually the main reason for drag marks is letting the hammer down from half cock. When you do that the bolt is against the cylinder between notches and if it turns which they very easily do you get a mark.

I find it difficult to let the hammer down from half cock.  At half cock, I can easily rotate the cylinder with no drag marks, 58 or 60.  To lower the hammer, I go to full cock and then let it down by hand.  No problems.

I recently sent a New Vaquero back to Ruger because I was getting drag marks and I didn't think that was right for a pistol of that supposed quality.  They installed what they called a new "cylinder latch" - I guess another name for a bolt - and that problem is solved.
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.