Photobucket

Hosted by: 1858Remington.com

Author Topic: Setting barrel to cylinder gap?  (Read 573 times)

ssb73q

• Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
Setting barrel to cylinder gap?
« on: August 25, 2013, 12:14:29 PM »
Hi, I recently purchased a Pietta 1851 in .44 caliber. There isn't much more of a cylinder to barrel gap of ~1-1.5 thousands of an inch. IMO that's not a problem for cap and ball, but I am having a problem using my 1860 conversion cylinder with this revolver. There is zero gap with the conversion cylinder and barrel where the conversion cylinder binds. I tried two other 1851 barrels that I have (7-3/8" and 4.5") where there is slightly more clearance, but there is still binding with the conversion cylinder. Those barrels are perfect when installed on an 1860 Army with the conversion cylinder so I don't want to modify them.

The question I have is how to increase the barrel to cylinder gap on my 1851 Colt? Do I just use a file or is there a more elegant method to produce a perfect gap keeping the barrel end square to the cylinder face so I could use my 1851 with the conversion cylinder?

Any ideas would be appreciated.  (:@ (:@ (:@

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
    • Black Powder Times
    • Email
Re: Setting barrel to cylinder gap?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 01:45:40 PM »
Take the cylinder to a machine shop and have a couple of thou taken off the face.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

BlackPowderTimes.com

mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 02:35:50 PM »
And slightly chamfer the chamber mouths!

Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Black Powder Times
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 02:38:25 PM »
And slightly chamfer the chamber mouths!

Why should he do that with a conversion cylinder? (^h
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

BlackPowderTimes.com

ssb73q

• Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 05:00:19 AM »
Hi, I recently purchased a Pietta 1851 in .44 caliber. There isn't much more of a cylinder to barrel gap of ~1-1.5 thousands of an inch. IMO that's not a problem for cap and ball, but I am having a problem using my 1860 conversion cylinder with this revolver. There is zero gap with the conversion cylinder and barrel where the conversion cylinder binds. I tried two other 1851 barrels that I have (7-3/8" and 4.5") where there is slightly more clearance, but there is still binding with the conversion cylinder. Those barrels are perfect when installed on an 1860 Army with the conversion cylinder so I don't want to modify them.

The question I have is how to increase the barrel to cylinder gap on my 1851 Colt? Do I just use a file or is there a more elegant method to produce a perfect gap keeping the barrel end square to the cylinder face so I could use my 1851 with the conversion cylinder?

Any ideas would be appreciated.  (:@ (:@ (:@

Regards,
Richard

Hi, since posting this, I learned that Brownells sells barrel facing tools. The only problem is that the tool cost is 1/2 the value of a revolver, too much. Unless I hear a better cost effective solution, I'm leaning to just using a file to remove a few thousands of the barrel end. An advantage of the 1851 Colt is that the barrel is separated from the frame that should allow for easy fixturing.

Edit: The 1851 with conversion cylinder is fixed. A couple of strokes with a flat file took off a couple thousands off the barrel end. The barrel end is still nice and square to the cylinder face.  {?| {?| {?|

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 05:52:04 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 06:35:44 AM »
Richard, good to hear you got that fix.  {?|
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

ssb73q

• Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 07:20:20 AM »
Take the cylinder to a machine shop and have a couple of thou taken off the face.

Hi Hawg, your solution would have been the best solution. I measured the overall length of 1851/1860 .44 cylinders and the length (cylinder front surface to rear bearing surface) is 1.850". The conversion cylinder is 1.858" where removing a few thousandths from the conversions cylinder would have had both the cap and ball and conversion cylinder length close. The only reason I didn't choose that solution is that the conversion cylinder works fine in my 1860 and I didn't want to screw up the conversion cylinder bluing. Shaving a little off the barrel provides a compromise where everything will work.

I just wanted to let you know your advice was the perfect solution to this problem.  {?| {?|

Regards,
Richard 

Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Black Powder Times
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 05:38:55 PM »
Glad you got it worked out. {?|

BlackPowderTimes.com