Photobucket

Hosted by: 1858Remington.com

Author Topic: could anyone make a nipple to accept 209 primer. i would buy one  (Read 2489 times)

davidkincaid

• Email
tens 2 tight, 11s fall off, i wish i could just stick 209 primers in my revolver. can anyone build me some nipples?

Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
    • Email
Re: could anyone make a nipple to accept 209 primer. i would buy one
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 04:49:08 AM »
Hi davidkincaid, jump on over to the "Welcome Wagon" and tell us a few things about yourself. How did you find this Great Forum?

Hang in there, someone will chime in and answer this.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Bert Stegall

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 06:34:42 AM »
Read a thread on what I think was another BP board but might have been here where a member advertised screw in adapters for the ROA that had the effect of the 209 adapters for long arm side locks. Some slight machining was required to your cylinder primer pocket. Anyone remember how to find the thread or which board?
Bert
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:51:07 AM by Bert Stegall »

Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 06:46:06 AM »
What about a small machine bolt that has the same threads as the cylinder...the head of this machine bolt will hold a small pistol primer( or large pistol primer or small/large rifle primer). You will have to drill a hole through the bolt( for the primer fire to go through to reach the powder). You will also have to( maybe?) do something to the hammer to pop off the primer.
Just an idea here.

KapundBall

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 06:58:46 AM »
 I'm concerned that 209 primers would negatively impact ignition. They are markedly more powerful than our caps and would very likely push ball and charge well down the barbell before securing ignition. I can't see this as at all to be wished for. In the inlinebapplications they are used for, they are pushing heavy sabot rounds over roughly three times the powder charge. There is considerably more resistance than in our revolvers and
I recently mentioned to a friend that I was getting more interested in Black Powder. He said, "What, like Malcolm X and the Black Panthers?"

Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 07:07:18 AM »
KapundBall, I see your point there on the 209 primers.  ;)
Plus, the 209 primers are too big to fit on the cylinders(what I think).

ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 07:21:44 AM »
tens 2 tight, 11s fall off, i wish i could just stick 209 primers in my revolver. can anyone build me some nipples?

Hi david, what revolver is giving you problems with caps?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

HighWall

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 09:39:24 AM »
I'm concerned that 209 primers would negatively impact ignition. They are markedly more powerful than our caps and would very likely push ball and charge well down the barbell before securing ignition. I can't see this as at all to be wished for. In the inlinebapplications they are used for, they are pushing heavy sabot rounds over roughly three times the powder charge. There is considerably more resistance than in our revolvers and

In blackpowder cartridge, there was a strong trend to magnum primers for a while, then the reverse happened.  Lots of folks felt like they were getting better accuracy with pistol primers.  That's what I ended up doing and swaged the primer pockets of my cases to have pistol primers bottom out in them.  Quite a bit of work, but you know anythings better than practicing...

Seems like it would be troublesome getting pistol or rifle or shotgun primers out of the nipples if they were held in firmly enough to secure them during the firing cycle.

davidkincaid

• Email
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 03:53:57 PM »
QUOTE//In blackpowder cartridge, there was a strong trend to magnum primers for a while, then the reverse happened.  Lots of folks felt like they were getting better accuracy with pistol primers.  That's what I ended up doing and swaged the primer pockets of my cases to have pistol primers bottom out in them.  Quite a bit of work, but you know anythings better than practicing...

Seems like it would be troublesome getting pistol or rifle or shotgun primers out of the nipples if they were held in firmly enough to secure them during the firing cycle.//QUOTE/
1858 REM. ARMY .44 CAL. PEITA
Ok, I was thinking theres a capper-remover thats like a C on removal side, its metal  spingsteel, if the round sides of top of manuf. nipple was flattened like dremel or grinder to right with, then it would do same as in bp rifle and remove the 209 by grabbing both sides. as far as the overfire, the hole is only going to allow fire enough as holes dia. so a smaller dia. hole should equal out the different pressure and not blow out the charge-load. also the fff is more fast burning -more power than rifle ff powder, so the combustion shouldnt over burn just because a hotter spark. the hammer as is should very easilly pop a 209 providing its at right height.and now back to original question, as the 209 is exactly same size as taps for the 11 nipple, the new nipple would need turning from stock larger then threaded correctly then 209 hole drilled into bigger stock, and smaller hole like .025 instead of current .028 should work nicely, then the reliability of 209 without caps constantly falling off as cylinder spins. my 2 cents. jus dont have the tools to try it myself.

ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 04:49:09 PM »
Hi david, if you have an 1858 Pietta you shouldn't have any trouble having #10 caps work just fine. Use you fingers to put the caps on the cylinder and push slightly with a stick to firmly seat them. Even with reduce power springs in my four 1858 Piettas I have never had a fail to fire using #10 caps after a 1000+ rounds fired. If you are having problems with the stock hammer spring using #10 caps I would suggest that there may be some other problem with your 1858?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

delmar

• BP 1
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 06:15:33 PM »
You might need to cut it off for length, but would this work?

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=400359

davidkincaid

• Email
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 07:07:35 PM »
the problem isnt cylinders firing when hammer hits a cap, the caps want to work loose and fall off nipples tried 10 and 11 same 10 holds lil better but still dont have time in woods and deer walks out to find a cylinder with a cap left on it.  and yes the 209 nipples exactly what im looking for, was hoping some of the smiths on here could make it a lil project to build some exactly right for our bp pistols. I believe the performance would also be improved greatly.

AZshooter

• Email
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 09:05:30 PM »
Install a set of quality nipples, and move on.  Treso/Ampco nipples are made specifically for #11 caps, and unlike the Uberti and Pietta factory nipples, are of uniform dimensions.  They work perfectly with #11 Remington and CCI caps and are a simple solution for a problem that a lot of folks have been over-thinking lately.

ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 04:48:00 AM »
Install a set of quality nipples, and move on.  Treso/Ampco nipples are made specifically for #11 caps, and unlike the Uberti and Pietta factory nipples, are of uniform dimensions.  They work perfectly with #11 Remington and CCI caps and are a simple solution for a problem that a lot of folks have been over-thinking lately.

+1

Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
    • Black Powder Times
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 05:25:19 AM »

+1

+2. I for one have had no problems with factory nipples. I have had a few that took #11 instead of #10 but new nips will fix you right up without all that re-engineering and hassle.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

BlackPowderTimes.com