1858 remington forum

Author Topic: What's going on today?  (Read 49431 times)

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: What's going on today?
« Reply #10035 on: October 11, 2018, 11:41:46 AM »
Shot Smith carbine with Minnié bullets, from 55 yd, and then 58 Remi NMA from 38 yd (trying to stretch the envelope). Then cleaning the irons. Afternoon, cast some .454 and .50 Minniés, in order to keep the stock adequate. Rounded up with loading a set of Smith brass carts and measured up an amount of BP in phials. This BP business sure takes a lot of time.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10036 on: October 11, 2018, 02:02:20 PM »
no more time than any other reloading endeavor
sun finally trying to come out
pellet stove in bay window kept going out indicating a pluggedlue
remove cap inside got a bit out   broke out the big ladder and removed the outdoor ca  It was plugged  cleaned both and lit stove  been running a 1/2 half hour
I have laptop on TV tray laid across lap on arms of chair
I can't read a thing with reaing glasses or without unless I lean 6" closer to the screen
Be glad when my new ones get here and hope they are made right this time
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10037 on: October 11, 2018, 06:46:02 PM »
The First Alabama Cavalry Regiment (Union) was chosen by Sherman to be his bodyguard on the March to the Sea.  They had been issued Smith Carbines.

Of the approximately 2000 Southern Unionists who served in that unit none were ever captured.  Apparently, surrendering was not an option.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #10038 on: October 12, 2018, 06:08:05 AM »
Getting ready to take Max to school here.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10039 on: October 12, 2018, 01:15:04 PM »
The First Alabama Cavalry Regiment (Union) was chosen by Sherman to be his bodyguard on the March to the Sea.  They had been issued Smith Carbines.
Of the approximately 2000 Southern Unionists who served in that unit none were ever captured.  Apparently, surrendering was not an option.
With a Smith Carbine and an adequate amount of carts and caps, surrender prolly isn't a first choise.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10040 on: October 12, 2018, 02:32:21 PM »
Recruits in the 1st Alabama Cav. (Union) were mostly Appalachian mountain boys from N. Alabama and E. Tennessee (AKA “ridge runners“).  The people in those areas generally hated the Confederacy.  Being as they were succeeders from succession the Confederates hated them too - in equal measure.  Their capture or surrender could  very likely have ended in a hanging.

Being predominately Scotch-Irish (born-to-fight Redcoats whenever they must and Indians whenever they could) they also naturally disliked revenuers, a whiskey tax or intrusive gub’ment.  They still do.

Len - What amount of powder charge do you use with that Smith?

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10041 on: October 12, 2018, 04:36:39 PM »
Heading out to pick windfall McIntosh apples this evening.  Got 300 pounds last night, should get as many tonight, probably a few Spartans thrown in too, which add sweetnes and have a great flavor all their own.  Then a few more Sunday morning, and then we crank out sweet cider, which goes into gallon jugs and straight into a deep-freeze.  It'll keep its fresh-pressed flavor for a year or more, frozen like that.

I don't understand whay the high-dollar cider (I've seen it for up to 30 dollars per gallon) you sometimes see at the fancy grocery stores isn't typically sold in a frozen state.  They're taking a big risk not freezing it, as the quality can drop quickly if it's too warm (to say nothing of bacterial growth).

We're getting in on the last bit of late harvest, but we're doin' it!
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Dave Shooter

« Reply #10042 on: October 13, 2018, 04:13:59 AM »
Glad it's a new day.  Been a rough week.  Funeral on Wednesday for my cousin's 38 year old son.  Yesterday we buried my youngest son's 16 year old best friend.

Hug your kids if you can.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10043 on: October 13, 2018, 06:04:51 AM »
G Dog: I use 30 grains in brass carts and Minnié bullets.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10044 on: October 13, 2018, 12:00:11 PM »
won't those  carts hold  about 50 grains
------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10045 on: October 13, 2018, 01:17:45 PM »
won't those  carts hold  about 50 grains
No, not the brass ones. Too much wall material. Maybe the plastic ones can get close to 50 grains. Have to check it out. Anyhow 30 grains of Swiss at 50 meters, into a steel plate, will toatally disintergrate the bullet. So some extra grains will just be a waste of money.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10046 on: October 13, 2018, 04:11:18 PM »
Heading out to pick windfall McIntosh apples this evening. …  We're getting in on the last bit of late harvest, but we're doin' it!

For as far back as I can remember I’ve liked Robert Frost, a lot.  Me-Mum used to read me Frost before I could hardly string together a sentence of my own. Omni’s post up above reminded me of one of Frost’s early works - After Apple-Picking.

Wind-fall and dropped apples went to press for cider, just like Omni's.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44259/after-apple-picking

Hug your kids if you can.

Strong advice from Shooter, there.  I'ma take it and suggest we all do.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 04:16:55 PM by G Dog »

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10047 on: October 16, 2018, 07:36:41 PM »

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #10048 on: October 17, 2018, 05:39:58 AM »
Just got up here!
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10049 on: October 17, 2018, 07:42:52 AM »
water lines in back bath froze Saturday caused the plastic fittings to swell   and spray
tried to repair with spares I had on hand  no luck  so bought  $140 of flex hoseand brass connecting nipples     that one appears to be sealed
today gonna replace the other one with same   glad now I added the extra  2 shut off valves

20 miles to town takes up a lot of time
------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776