Photobucket

Hosted by: 1858Remington.com

Author Topic: Long Range Buffalo SS Project  (Read 587 times)

Classanr

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
    • Email
Long Range Buffalo SS Project
« on: July 11, 2013, 08:26:42 PM »
At the Advice of HH, Ye Olde DamnYankee Club is acquiring an 8" target stainless steel model (from Armslist), a 12" buffalo stainless steel barrel (from VTI), and a shoulder stock (from DGW).  Upon examination of the butt of the 8" frame, it is noted that there be not a swale cut in for the hook on the stock.  Replacing the hammer pin at the upper end will be easy, but the swale cut might present a problem.

Anybody here done the cut?  Have a brass 12" with the cut and can post a photo, dimensions?

Classanr
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Wolfgang

• Wolfgang's Wild West
    • Email
Re: Long Range Buffalo SS Project
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 06:08:53 AM »
The "swale" in the butt is not really necessary.   My long barreled '58 does not have it and the stock clamps on just fine.   :)
Beware the man with one gun,.... he probably knows  how to use it.

Classanr

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 07:56:19 PM »
The "swale" in the butt is not really necessary.   My long barreled '58 does not have it and the stock clamps on just fine.   :)

I love good news like that.
Thankee Kindlee,

Classanr

Classanr

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 07:16:59 AM »
Ye Olde DY Clube recently contacted Mike116 for ground-draggin' holsters.

In his reply telegraph, Mike cautioned "GUNS N BARLS OFDIF THRED PITCH STOP".  After a bit of discussion, Ye Really Olde Clube Members, Senile Section, concluded that might make a "simple barrel swap" a potential problem.  Here is the link for more information:
http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5862.msg92869.html#msg92869

There was a mad rush to Ye Olde Armourettee with rulers and wrenches.  The 5.5" SS was found, but the 8" frame and 12" barrel were nowhere to be seen.

The scribe woke up, grumbled that the stage had not arrived with the 8", and the 12" was still being hammered on by Giuseppe Pietta back at his forge in Italy.

"Mebbe here late August or so."

After several rounds of Ye Olde Rotte Gutte, it was motioned and seconded that all recently-made Stainless Steel frames and barrels ought, by common sense, to be common pitch, oughtn't they?  An ammendment was offered that if Ye Olde DY Clube can get the parts apart, and can find somebody who can count higher than fingers and toes, and the threads don't count the same, and that no matter how many wrenches are applied, the parts won't fit, then be it resolved that the DY Clube should sue the Eye Talian Subs for screwing with the threads.

No vote was taken because the Scribe fell asleep again.

Meeting was adjourned, pending the arrival of the stage.

Respectfully Submitted,

Classaner

Classanr

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 11:37:14 AM »
Another Pietta BP SS 44 cylinder arrived today at the Express Station.

I set to pondering the purposes for shipping a 2x2x2.5 box in a 13x11x5.5 box, and came up with a profitable plausibility that the shipping department is geared up for only two boxes.  Big and bigger.  "Put the items in that box, unless they won't fit, in which case put them in the bigger box."

Pretty hard to mess that training up, regardless of your communication skills.

I got back to business and measured the chambers (in fractional inches).

4ea .446.0
  2ea .445.5

This is consistent with the cylinder manufactured for the 2011 Rem currently in Ye Olde Armorette.

Cylinder face looks like it came off the mill yesterday.  Nifty little chain-fire grooves!
Although the chamber rims have a 45deg chamfer, there is a sharp edge where the 45 meets the chamber walls.

Machining marks all the way down the sides, and at the bottom of each chamber.

Unless I polish this one up considerably, it will earn the reputation of being a fouling piece (pun intended).

Classanr

PaleHawkDown

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 12:33:13 PM »
We just got a shipment of Blued Buffaloes and 4 7/8-inch 1851s. Hilariously both guns have the stock notch. Wonder who stocks a short revolver?

Classanr

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 01:03:16 PM »
We just got a shipment of Blued Buffaloes and 4 7/8-inch 1851s. Hilariously both guns have the stock notch. Wonder who stocks a short revolver?
Guys like me who like to hit the target, but have too much wobble free-hand.
It being a legit pre-1898 combination of equipment, and as long as i'm shooting BP, it is not classified as a SBR or a stocked-pistol.  It's just an "excluded" antique replica.

That loophole disappears, however, when there's a conversion cartridge anywhere accessible to me.  Stock would have to go.  The catch is the primered brass case.  Maybe not in your state, but it is in MA.

The ratty thing is that, period-specific or not, the shooting sports refuse to allow a stocked pistol in the rifle classes unless it has a minimum 16" barrel.  Cripes, I'm having a hard enough time getting a 12" stainless barrel for the Pietta 1858 Rem 44 New Army as it is.  How on earth would I find a 16" barrel for this revolver?

I don't want the Uberti revolving rifle, thank you.  Not stainless, and if you saw what my sweat does to your bluing, you'd agree in a heartbeat I should never touch blued steel.

Classanr

PaleHawkDown

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 02:42:11 PM »
HAHA, my sweat doesn't eat bluing, but it'll take out a leather or metal watch band in a matter of weeks.

Classanr

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 10:02:57 AM »
After looking around for some period images that are in the public domain, I think I have settled on my pyrographic etching for the stock.  I am going to try it without laser, just the hand tools.  It is nice to be able to digitally alter, clean up, and stretch-to-fit the old drawings to the new stock.  The following is not necessarily the actual coloring of the wood - stock has not arrived yet.    Supposedly straight-grained walnut, but if I don't like the color, I might strip it and change it.

Mind you, these images will not make it shoot any better, but when the target displays my errors I can distract the detractors by showing off the stock.

Classanr