Photobucket

Hosted by: 1858Remington.com

Author Topic: ? on adjustment range of a CVA Hawken double-set trigger  (Read 1309 times)

Sheriff Langston

• Email
? on adjustment range of a CVA Hawken double-set trigger
« on: November 29, 2012, 07:30:34 AM »
How much adjustment should there be of the set trigger assuming the other adjustments are set correctly? I ask because the screw that adjusts "the sear engagment for weight of trigger pull" on the front (set) trigger doesn't seem do do anything at all. It doesn't even seem to have any resistance when setting either!

Sear engagement internally & rear trigger adjustments are checked & working correctly. Hammer cocks & holds correctly. Trigger will operate without setting it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 10:21:41 AM by Sheriff Langston »
Came to the wrong town. I don't tolerate this sort of thing. It's hard on the peace, and it's hard on the furniture. Now, knowing a bit about Carter here, I'm going to let you go without paying for the damages, but go you will, and I mean now.

BGRooster1

• Forum Legend
Re: ? on adjustment range of a VCA Hawken double-set trigger
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 08:25:31 AM »
 Let me grab my instructions for CVA rifles ,I want to make sure I remember right .
 The small screw in the middle of the triggers,when tightened(turned clockwise with triggers pointing up),reduces sear engagement in the lock and reduces the "trigger-pull" weight.
 CAUTION :Overtightening ( clockwise with triggers pointing up) of this small screw inthe middle of the triggers will create a dangerous "hair
" trigger and will cause rapid wear ,allowing the possibility of accidental firing.
 There is another small screw behind the two triggers that adjust the height of the sear trip lever and the power let-off.If the hammer does not cock in th non-set position, the trip lever is adjusted to high.It should be adjusted as follows,normally this is factory adjusted and should not be touched.
 Set the trigger. Turn this small screw clockwise(with triggers pointing up) until it stops. Then turn same screw 1/2 turn counterclockwise.
 Test operation and fine tune both screws.

Hope this helps  as it is the way I set up my CVA frontier when I installed a double set trigger on it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:32:34 AM by BGRooster1 »
Maj.Bull S. Hitter on the CAS forum

Better to ask forgiveness.Than to beg permission

Cap & Ball revolvers are like Lay's potato chips , you can't have just one!!

Sheriff Langston

• Email
Re: ? on adjustment range of a CVA Hawken double-set trigger
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:23:03 AM »
Thanks, those are the same instructions I have for mine.
The problem is that doing that doesn't seem to make any difference & I'm curious what should be happening?
Came to the wrong town. I don't tolerate this sort of thing. It's hard on the peace, and it's hard on the furniture. Now, knowing a bit about Carter here, I'm going to let you go without paying for the damages, but go you will, and I mean now.

BGRooster1

• Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 10:39:27 AM »
 I know that I worked with one that never seemed to make a difference no matter how I adjusted it until it went way the different. For some reason I decided to clean it up and degrees it . Blowing out a lot of gummy old factory preservative and now it is much better and adjustments are noticeable .

Sheriff Langston

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 02:45:42 PM »
Mine had been stored unused for 20+years so I did strip & clean it, then I relubed & reassembled. Maybe I justneed to drop the mechanism out of the wood & eyeball it to see if I can figure it out.

How much of the screw protrudes below the casting on yours may I ask?

Someone else suggested I needed a longer screw & that got me to thinking as there is quite a lot of thread protreuding.

Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
    • Black Powder Times
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 04:02:51 PM »
It may be binding in the wood or even in the trigger mechanism itself.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

BlackPowderTimes.com

Sheriff Langston

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 07:17:49 AM »
It may be binding in the wood or even in the trigger mechanism itself.
What might be? I didn't unnerstann ???

Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 07:32:35 AM »
Sheriff, I'm just guessing here...take off your whole trigger mechanism and SEE if any part of the trigger mechanism is rubbing or hitting inside the wood.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

BGRooster1

• Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 08:16:52 AM »
 I set mine up pretty well out of the gun and fine tunes it after install. I will checked to see how far the screw sticks out.I know that very small adjustments made a big difference. Mine can go from being safe a light to to unsafe in less than 1/8 of a turn.

Sheriff Langston

• Email
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 10:33:40 AM »
I think maybe I found the problem, & its not good news.
Look at these 2 pictures of the mechanism removed from the gun. In particular the point where the arrow points to.
Trigger set:

Trigger un-set:

I removed the assembly, washed it with gun scrubber & examined it for problems. I made zero changes to anything other than cleaning with Gun Scrubber. What I found concerns me. It seems that the reason I couldn't make an adjustment is that the rear of the set trigger is interfering with the front of the setting trigger. If I'm reading this correctly the set trigger can't go forward enough to do anything but marginally engage the secondary sear so there is no adjustment! {_K

Once I'd removed & cleaned the mechanism the set trigger utterly refuses to set, no matter what adjustments I make, except when I manually push the triugger to the front while pulling the rear trigger to set it. Even removing the setting adjustment screw doesn't help. If I push foreward gently while pulling the rear trigger it will set, but it seems that to do this it has to push it's rear surface against the main (setting) triggers front surface! (at the point of the arrow) Before I pull the mechinism down & remove material from the rear surface to get better engagment someone please air-check me so I don't do something dumb & make things worse.

The red color is just a photographic effect there is no rust, & I did lube the mechanism after taking pictures but before trying to adjust anything.

BGRooster1

• Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 09:37:14 AM »
 Sheriff ,I will have a look at mine after lunch today. Will pull it out of the stock and take some pics.

Sheriff Langston

• Email
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
Thanks, it's appreciated.

BGRooster1

• Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 04:56:16 PM »
 Sheriff, I tried to take some pics and I discovered our camera sucks for close-ups. Here is the best of the attempt.