Author Topic: Warning! Please Read.  (Read 7251 times)

Offline BP Joe

Re: Warning! Please Read.
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 10:09:45 PM »
I am definitely glad I joined this forum!

BP Joe  ])M

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 11:06:08 PM »
We are definitely glad you did.
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 04:59:43 PM »

Hi mazo, the problem with BP practice is that are a dozen ways to achieve the same end. What's especially good about our forum is that peer review from the members keeps any issue in perspective.  Say something stupid and Hawg will clean your clock, a good thing.

Regards,
Richard

black powder shooters are a lot like "gunpowder". I remember going to a lecture about the history of canons and firearms. The gentleman giving the lecture was very much a scholar but still talked like an uneducated South Carolinian redneck.

He said, "Whelp, there's basically only three ingredients to gunpowder and you can substitute a lot of stuff for two of 'em."

There's potassium, charcoal and potassium nitrate but a lot of different carbon sources or accelerants can be used in place of coal. Everything from fools gold to sulfur to iron filings have been found in gunpowder samples throughout history he said. A lot of gunpowder wasn't technically, by chemical definition, "black powder", But it worked. He showed samples ranging in color from red to yellow to blue that had all been used. Some gunpowder was even mildly magnetic and some was even mildly radioactive and contained bismuth.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 05:58:21 PM »
...He said, "Whelp, there's basically only three ingredients to gunpowder and you can substitute a lot of stuff for two of 'em."

There's potassium, charcoal and potassium nitrate ...

Sulfur, charcoal, potassium nitrate?

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 08:38:02 AM »
...He said, "Whelp, there's basically only three ingredients to gunpowder and you can substitute a lot of stuff for two of 'em."

Derp, yes. I had a Foghorn Leghorn moment. Thanks.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 10:36:16 AM »

Derp, yes. I had a Foghorn Leghorn moment. Thanks.

Just guessing.  I never made the stuff, not since 5th grade when I heated a pile of sulfur from my chemistry set - in the house.  I about got sent to an orphanage for that miscalculation.  I never did learn why sulfur is needed to make the powder go boom.  All I know is how explosive it can make a mother  )L$

Offline Marshal Coots

• Love my BP--have shot with it off/on 70 years
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 11:52:02 AM »
Hello Pards;
     My two cents worth---have been messing with and shooting BP for 70 years and find by keeping my mouth shut and reading the things you guys post on this forum is always an education to me and I do enjoy and LEARN from being here.  Of course after having gone to college in SC, that SC uneducated Redneck hit home but I love it. It fits.  Actually from the Missouri hills originally.
    How about some info on Chrony's that are good with BP and which are recommended.
Coots   aka   BobS
If you don't know BP,  you don't know real shootin

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 04:54:05 PM »
Hello Pards;
     My two cents worth---have been messing with and shooting BP for 70 years and find by keeping my mouth shut and reading the things you guys post on this forum is always an education to me and I do enjoy and LEARN from being here.  Of course after having gone to college in SC, that SC uneducated Redneck hit home but I love it. It fits.  Actually from the Missouri hills originally.
    How about some info on Chrony's that are good with BP and which are recommended.
Coots   aka   BobS

I've lived 90% of my life in the south, and that low country South Carolina accent still gets me.
I've got a lot of family in Charleston and my cousin Jerry is pure low country redneck.
He is the only person I've ever heard say, "I do whatevah you say, boss," and it not be a joke. He really talks like that all the time.
It's less Jeff Foxworthy and more of an Amos and Andy meet Louisiana bayou, meet midwestern patter, with a little regular Southern thrown into the pot.
He calls it a hotpot accent, "A little o dis and a little dat, steamed up nice."

Online DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 06:44:25 PM »
upon reading some history.
I came across an article for you southern scoundrels.
Back in the 1860s when you all needed a slap down.
Those fancy ladies of the plantations stooped or squatted for more reasons than the one.

They collected all the urine they could. SO the nitrate could be extracted.
So now you know where that unique "perfume" came from.!!
Give a whole new name to "water" pistol!! ->i
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Marshal Coots

• Love my BP--have shot with it off/on 70 years
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 08:04:50 AM »
WOW   Water pistol   will be looking for one   now I know why i love my BP
Coots ->i ->i ->i
If you don't know BP,  you don't know real shootin

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 08:57:02 AM »
I "dis not know dat".  (^h
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Online DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 11:08:28 AM »
Actually the collection of urine was somewhat of a cottage industry. Especially in areas where gunpowder was made.
Many taverns/ inns etc had communal toilets that had a separate bin for collecting the urine.  In cold climates they had a version of the chamber pitcher.
Individuals would come by periodically to collect the urine. They would then evaporate the urine to collect the nitrate from it.
In some cases they worked for the powder company, others they would sell it. 
Since BP was the only powder back then, you can imagine the lengths a company would have to go through to obtain a ready supply of potassium nitrate to make the BP they sold.  Above and beyond any naturally occurring and available P.N.
Since the South didn't have the necessary ready supply, the women back home would take up the task. Not ll and not everywhere, but it was done.

As a side note in many cases the communal toilet was actually built over a small ravine or creek.  You'd pee in the collection container. Sit and do your job and it would just drop into the ravine or creek to be washed away.
When I first moved to Rock Springs, Wy  there were still a couple of these setups in back of a couple of the bars. Course they were no longer used, but were there for historical purposes.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 01:46:59 PM »
In the old countries, the farmers had to submit the cattle urine to the king's potassium works.

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2014, 04:19:07 PM »
True story: A friend of mine was researching his family history and found out his many times great grandfather was a fairly famous and wealthy "collector of the pure." He had no idea what this meant and went through every thought from saint to pimp.
Turns out a collector of the pure was a gentleman who scooped dog poop, primarily around butchers shops. The manure would be white due to the high tannins and calcium from the bones the dogs chewed. This dog excrement was sold to leather workers to make soft white leather goods, such as kid gloves.
It seems funny to me that a man became wealthy by providing the means for rich people to cover their hands in dog crap.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2014, 01:55:45 PM »
Well, this thread has wandered a bit...there is an old song about the Southern soldiers in the midst of battle, the smell of the powder smoke giving rise to, ummm, rhymes with direction. Wish I could find that tune!