Author Topic: Warning! Please Read.  (Read 6718 times)

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Warning! Please Read.
« on: September 29, 2012, 12:12:37 PM »
For all the folks that are new to black powder guns and shooting. Rifles, pistols, and cleaning. I've been spending a little time looking at Information on (YOUTUBE) Please be careful with the infor you get coming off that site. I have run across some real bad videos on that site. Now saying that there are still some good people that are taping and posting good information to. So I just wanted to let you know that some of the information on (YOUTUBE) is BAD stuff. PLEASE if your not sure about something don't be shy to ask the fellas here on the 58 site question's about black powder guns when it comes to loading, powder's, cleaning your guns, making black powder. The list go's on and on. I just want folks to be able to enjoy thair guns without getting hurt or worse. This is one of the best hobbies and ways of hunting and shooting there is. I'd sure hate to see anyone get messed up cause of getting the wrong info from some jackass that don't know what the heck they'er talking about, and man have I watched some really bad ideas in the last few day's. OK I'll get off my soap box now.

Oh did I tell you there is some of the best informed fellas you ever want to meet right he on this forum. I wasn't sure where to post this so I put it h right here. Now if it's not raining in your neck of the woods let's make some safe smoke and enjoy it.  :9)  :)
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Warning! Please Read.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 10:50:34 PM »
Good warning Dell, there is some crackpot info out there, YouTube sure has it's share.  Here is where to ask.

+1 on what Dellbert said.
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 11:00:32 PM »
Yes, thanks for that reminder, Dell.
I've seen some pretty horrific stuff there, too.
Any members with a question, ask. Please.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline BP Joe

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 06:11:48 PM »
Thank you Dell.

I have gone to YouTube on a number of occations to learn being that I am new to the world of black powder. I did notice a few of the vidoes I think you mentioned. One where the person loading his New Army 44 and spilling powder all over the top of the cyclinder. Another one where the person was loading right from the flask. Please correct me if I'm wrong in any of these statements, but I have read that it is wise to be carefull when loading, using a powder measure instead of directly from the flask, and keeping as much powder in the cylinder instead of around it. One person I have mentioned in another post did a little write up on keeping things clean leads to the reduced possibility of chain fires. His website address was geojohn.org. I look forward to firing for the first time my New Army 44 at the range this spring, and feel much more prepared from what I have learned from the vast experience on this forum. I thank you all very much for sharing your knowledge.

BP Joe  ])M

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 01:41:23 PM »
At least once a week I get a call from someone asking me my opinion of a powder load or a conversion-use load that they found on YouTube, and some of these questions are down right scary. I sometimes wonder how many people DON'T call us about this stuff and try it instead.

As an example, in our pre-internet days we sold a gentleman a Vortek pistol. He brought it back a week later looking like a peeled banana. He had put four pyrodex pellets in it because he had seen some yutz on YouTube do it. He wanted us to replace it.
Long story short, we did not replace it.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 02:13:28 PM »
At least once a week I get a call from someone asking me my opinion of a powder load or a conversion-use load that they found on YouTube, and some of these questions are down right scary. I sometimes wonder how many people DON'T call us about this stuff and try it instead.

As an example, in our pre-internet days we sold a gentleman a Vortek pistol. He brought it back a week later looking like a peeled banana. He had put four pyrodex pellets in it because he had seen some yutz on YouTube do it. He wanted us to replace it.
Long story short, we did not replace it.

Hi Lee, Good!! Darwin showed that natural selection is useful to the species.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 04:44:24 PM »
Dear Friends
            I'd like to point out that our Very Own Duelist1954 posts VERY GOOD VIDEOS on YouTube.com.  He is also the Black Powder Editor for "Guns of the Old West Magazine."  You can take anything HE says to the bank!
            On the subject of loading straight from the magazine:  This is okay if youare loading a pistol or revolver!  It is when you are shooting a Rifle that you have to be careful. At the black murky bottom of that 32" tube, a spark MAY be lurking, and it is possible, (Though a trifle unlikely.) that a flask could blow up in your hand, if you were to always load a Musket directly from the flask. I load all my cylinders directly from the flask, but have to admit that all my cylinders, are loaded soon after they have been removed from a pan of boiling water! Yet I have loaded revolvers from the flask son after they have been fired, and have never had any problems!  I DO always blow a sharp puff of breath down the front of any chambers I am going to reload, if I have recently fired the gun.  So any video you see where Mike, (Duelist1954) has
produced, you may follow with out fear.  I feel that many of the precautions he takes are a little un-necessary, but then I have been shooting these guns for over fifty years! (There are some short cuts one can take, if you know what you are doing!  For example, I always load all six chambers!  I must have a look at YouTube again, and see which persons one should be REALLY wary of!
                                                                                                        Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 06:18:12 PM »
... all my cylinders, are loaded soon after they have been removed from a pan of boiling water! ...                                                                                                       Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.

Easy for you, Johnnie, you live in the boiling hot AZ desert )L$

That breath of fresh air carries mostly CO2, helps to snuff out any lingering embers.
Which is so ironic, because it's the same breath that is used for turning embers into raging infernos.
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 09:03:18 AM »
I've watched most all of Duelist1954s posts. and he's a good teacher in the art of the bp world. There are still some real nuts on boobtub that can cost you your guns, arms, face, your life even. including people that may be standing around you. Would rather be safe than sorry. I've been shooting these guns a little over 30 years and still find room to ask a question every now and then. If people especially those just getting started out don't know for sure about something just ask. I posted a long time ago about a review I read on Cabela's review board about a man posting about those brass frame 1851.44 cal Colt revolvers they sell. This guy clamed to be a retired Army something or other. He posted go ahead fill them brass guns up with as much powder as you can get in them it want hurt ah thing these guns can handle it. I'm thinking what the heck was Cabela's thinking letting a review like that get on the board unless it just slipped  through some how. I set sometime just reading reviews on stuff just to pass the time of day some of the things people come up with is hilarious to say the least. Just about every place that sells these guns have review boards and on days like this makes it a good time for reading, working on hobbies anything you can do inside. Sure as heck no time to be driving on the roads if you don't haft to. OK! that's enough out of me for a bit.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 10:18:32 AM »
one of the bad things about youtube and stuff similar
A newbie to the sport may not know what is depicted is not good info and they or somebody else could get hurt, or worse, following some of the info.
So if you see a video there, that is definitely bad. Flag it and review it and why you believe it is in error.
Up to people who truly know to police and edit the bad info.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 11:45:58 AM »
Realistically any burning spark would most likely be from a charge that did not properly ignite. But it can happen.
I was taught many moons ago when firing the rifle to always give a couple good stout puffs down the barrel.
Hopefully to extinguish any spark.
That being said. wise or not when doing bulk loads I have always poured directly from the flask when in the field (range or hunting).
However, In both my rifle and revolver flasks I have cut the spouts down to throw the correct charge I use.
I place finger over spout, turn upside down open gate, shake to fill spout, close gate, turn back right side up, confirm spout is full.
With the gate fully closed not likely to ignite. Too much of an open air gap between the possible spark and the gate (about 36").
Besides, look at the mountainman and Indian fighter of yesteryear. Very unlikely they took excessive precautions.
I keep main body of flask to side of barrel / chamber and pour quickly. Then load the ball.
In a revolver by the time I am finished shooting all six very unlikely any hot embers in the first chambers. Besides being short chambers, quite easy to look inside.
Also at range I normally don't reload immediately. Usually have a swig or two of whatever liquid I have handy, sit down and calmly reload or sometimes shoot one of my other guns. Course I have my own backdoor range.
I mostly load paper cartridges in my revolvers, Smith and Sharps now days.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 01:43:13 PM »
Proves the point I try to further....you can't trust everything posted on the 'net. So many people see something posted by "anonymous" and spread it around like gospel. How to tell the good guys from the bad?.....pretty easy for those of us that are somewhat knowledgeable, but for some just starting out the info they read/watch can be extremely dangerous!

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 02:49:09 PM »
Proves the point I try to further....you can't trust everything posted on the 'net. So many people see something posted by "anonymous" and spread it around like gospel. How to tell the good guys from the bad?.....pretty easy for those of us that are somewhat knowledgeable, but for some just starting out the info they read/watch can be extremely dangerous!

Hi mazo, the problem with BP practice is that are a dozen ways to achieve the same end. What's especially good about our forum is that peer review from the members keeps any issue in perspective.  Say something stupid and Hawg will clean your clock, a good thing.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 05:17:53 PM »
Agree. There's some lethal advice on the net. I like the reference of "peers' review", done me a lot of good.

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 12:00:59 PM »
 Good advice and well heeded.
Nothing expresses Liberty more, than the report of a rifle shot fired in the defense of Freedom.