Photobucket

Hosted by: 1858Remington.com

Author Topic: rem. 1858 5 1/2" barrel cyl. pin removal  (Read 2899 times)

pbowers

rem. 1858 5 1/2" barrel cyl. pin removal
« on: August 27, 2012, 05:45:50 PM »
how do you completely remove the cylinder pin to install new with ejector for kirst conversions, hits reloading rod latch at end of barrel about 1/4" before clearing.

SUZUKIBRUCE

• Forum Legend
  • "PATIENCE OF A 2 YEAR OLD"
Re: rem. 1858 5 1/2" barrel cyl. pin removal
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 05:59:22 PM »
take the screw out for the ram rod... the pin should pull right out after that...
_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
JEEP OWNER!

[img width= height=]http://www.bcrichhandcrafted.com/extras/bcrHCBNR_Warlock.jpg[/img][/url]

Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
There is no way to remove it without removing the barrel catch from the barrel. I wrote about this nasty little discovery last summer.
Not sure how the catch is installed, only that it's not dovetailed on the Piettas.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

rdstrain49

• VIP Member
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 08:40:44 PM »
Removal is a snap.  Lightly heat it, then gently tap it out.

Note to self; only use this method on Captainkirk's guns.
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
Norman Schwartzkopf

chris1895

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 10:24:56 PM »
I'm new with my R 1858    (1979  Lyman/Uberti) - very lightly used excellent condition
Where do I find a utube or other instructions on changing the cylinder out smoothly with practice.
tyou

Smokin_Gun

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • "American by Birth, CSA by Choice"
    • SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 10:32:15 PM »
Don't have a video, but put it on halfcock rotate clockwise and remove towards the right ... likewise reinstalling...some have difficulties and just pull back the hammer so the hand or pawl retracts enough to remove the cylinder w/o havin' ta put it at halfcock ... I recommend the first method decide on the second later...
 {?( &j(
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:55:50 PM by Smokin_Gun »
Served with the 43rd Virginia Cav Mosby's Rangers...
I favor an 1858 Remington .44 Revolver ... and I Smoke Black Powder

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

pbowers

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 11:18:20 PM »
no dovetail on latch, is the latch soldered or press fit, and heating affect blueing?, looking at 3-400 deg. or more?
barrel removal looks to be option as mentioned, just didn't want to go there if lesser evil

Smokin_Gun

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • "American by Birth, CSA by Choice"
    • SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 12:38:59 AM »
Latch removal is the easier softer way to go ... that's the only downfall to the 5.5" BBL.
I prefer the .44 full length .44 but the shortest barreled '58 I've kept is the .36 cal 6." BBL.
You can remove it and install a dovetail like the Uberti has ... or make it one like this...

'58 .36 cal. 6.5" Rems...

(D@
SG {?(
Served with the 43rd Virginia Cav Mosby's Rangers...
I favor an 1858 Remington .44 Revolver ... and I Smoke Black Powder

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

SUZUKIBRUCE

• Forum Legend
  • "PATIENCE OF A 2 YEAR OLD"
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 06:46:58 AM »
Funny my '71 lyman/uberti neither the latch or site is dovetailed but on my '09 taylors/uberti both are dovetailed...
_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
JEEP OWNER!

[img width= height=]http://www.bcrichhandcrafted.com/extras/bcrHCBNR_Warlock.jpg[/img][/url]

ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 04:54:08 AM »
There is no way to remove it without removing the barrel catch from the barrel. I wrote about this nasty little discovery last summer.
Not sure how the catch is installed, only that it's not dovetailed on the Piettas.

Hi, has anyone found a solution to completely removing the cylinder pin on a Pietta 5-1/2" 1858? The best solution I can think of is to hacksaw off the existing pin and replacing it with a hinged pin. Is there a commercial hinged pin for the 1858, or is that a customized gunsmith job?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 03:08:08 PM »
I don't have a 5-1/2" barreled Remmie so never even thought about the "problem". I'll keep that hinged pin idea in mind though!

JRs12Valve

• Howdy
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 05:50:18 PM »
I've had mine since early October, and it's been shot weekly, some weeks daily. I haven't had a reason to remove it yet. I can clean the whole pin without taking it out of the pistol.

Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 09:34:48 PM »
I just gave up on it, and don't remove it.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Boondock

• NH - The South of the North
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 12:20:03 AM »
I've given thought to the lever latch issue several times after receiving my Pietta 5.5" barrel 1858. It's of recent manufacture and also has the non-dovetailed latch. I thought about rdstrain's suggestion of heating the barrel and latch it to see if she'd break free, but not knowing if it's tapped/threaded, or soldered, or just pain press-fit in place gave me cause to second guess the plan. My biggest concerns were ruining the temper or bluing of the barrel, and boogering the re-installation.

My reason for wanting to take out the cylinder pin is two-fold.  First is to aid a thorough cleaning because I'm a fanatic like that. :P Second was my plan to turn several small grooves along the length of the pin to hold more grease, hopefully extending my range sessions before lock up from excessive fouling.

I've come up with a theoretical solution that I have yet to work up the gumption for - cut the cylinder pin in twain and build a hinged pin such as shown in the pictures posted by Smokin_Gun.  Were I to work up the cajones to take my beautiful Remmy under the knife, these are the steps I would follow:

1) Apply painters or masking tape to the bottom of the barrel from frame to latch so as to prevent accidental scratching.
2) Slide the cylinder pin as far out as it would extend to the muzzle
3) Slip the thinnest sheet of steel I could find between barrel and cylinder pin to prevent gouging the barrel
4) Cut the latch with the thinnest/finest hacksaw I could acquire (to minimize shortening the pin unnecessarily)
5) Cut the pin in such a location that it would be located within the frame if fully inserted - not within the cylinder!
6) Make a hinged pin out of the 2 pieces as shown in the pictures by Smokin_Gun.

Sadly, this will not satisfy pbower's requirement, because the ejection assembly has an integrated cylinder pin with the same length as the un-modified stock pin.  Which leads him back to figuring out removal and re-installation of the current latch, or removing the barrel to install the ejector - because I don't think anyone would try a hinged pin on the ejector itself, seeing as how they are so darned expensive!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 12:25:28 AM by Boondock »
Audentes Fortuna Juvat

ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 05:40:17 AM »
Hi, I took some measurements of the cylinder pin length in the 5-1/2" Pietta 1858 Remington. The total pin length with the head is 4.018". The distance from the front of the pin hole to the lever latch is 3.75". Therefore the cylinder pin is ~0.25" too long to clear the opening.

If the cylinder pin was cut just behind the cylinder pin head, one could drill and tap the cut end of the pin. A hole could then be drilled in the pin head and countersunk. Either countersink for a flat head or hex head screw. Then the cylinder pin head could be detached such that the remainder of the pin will clear the opening.

I may buy a spare pin to give this a try, but I'm still open to other suggestions.

BTW, no matter how well I clean the cylinder pin in the revolver, it still leaches black goo some time after cleaning. To really get the revolver clean, that damn cylinder pin needs to be removable.  :9)

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!