Photobucket

Hosted by: 1858Remington.com

Author Topic: Revolutionizing Wads  (Read 2810 times)

AZshooter

• Email
Revolutionizing Wads
« on: August 18, 2012, 02:14:44 PM »
Everyone is satisfied with performance of felt wads, but they are time & labor intensive to produce, with the need to cut them out, lube them, then package them for storage.

I propose eliminating all manufacturing steps prior to the point of use:

Place a pinch of fiber material directly to the chamber, then tamp it down firmly.
Add a tiny dab of your favorite ball lube, then seat the ball.
Simple, direct & no prep, stamping, dipping or any fabrication work necessary before you use it.

The secret wad material? - it's FREE!   it's Dryer Lint.  I've loaded up a cylinder for my 1858 Remington with the dryer lint wads & after compression, they look pretty solid.  Only the smallest amount of lube is necessary, just to prevent any excess from getting pushed thru the wad material & into the powder while being compressed. 

If I can get out to the range tomorrow, I'll compare the accuracy with that of the accurate TP wads I'm already fond of.

Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
    • Email
Re: Revolutionizing Wads
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 06:33:18 AM »
Neat idea AZshooter! I got plenty of that here!  (?^
I'll have to try this.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
    • Black Powder Times
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 06:47:30 AM »
That wont scrape the bore like wads will...Just sayin.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

BlackPowderTimes.com

Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 06:55:05 AM »
Does the bore need to be scraped?

Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
    • Black Powder Times
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 07:03:01 AM »
Not going to say it "needs" it but it sure doesn't hurt.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

BlackPowderTimes.com

Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 01:04:51 PM »
So when is somebody going to try belly button lint?  (k-
Btw great idea on the dryer lint. Let us know about fouling when you compare the two.
US Navy Retired, NRA life member, VFW life member, American Legion, FRA, KofC
Time Magazine person of the year.....2006

Sheriff Langston

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 01:16:56 PM »
I'm keeping my belly button lint for tinder. {:( :-X

My concern with this is the amount of synthetic fabric in use, will this equate to burning plastic in the bore?
Came to the wrong town. I don't tolerate this sort of thing. It's hard on the peace, and it's hard on the furniture. Now, knowing a bit about Carter here, I'm going to let you go without paying for the damages, but go you will, and I mean now.

Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 01:48:13 PM »
That's a good point Sheriff Langston.  {?|

AZshooter

• Email
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 02:54:09 PM »

My concern with this is the amount of synthetic fabric in use, will this equate to burning plastic in the bore?

Got a whole bag of dryer lint from cotton towels.  No synthetic to be concerned with.

BGRooster1

• Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 11:15:20 AM »
 So , What's the verdict on the cotton dryer lint wadding ?

On a side note . Dryer lint makes a great fire starter when mixed with paraffin wax . Again, best to use cotton only . Don't need to be burning synthetics when you don't have to.
 Cotton dryer lint mixed into melted paraffin wax and then poured into pressed paper egg cartons . Fill the egg cups and allow to harden .
 Break off one egg cup with cotton and paraffin mix and light the paper egg carton cup. No other tinder is needed as this will burn for a long time.
Maj.Bull S. Hitter on the CAS forum

Better to ask forgiveness.Than to beg permission

Cap & Ball revolvers are like Lay's potato chips , you can't have just one!!

Smokin_Gun

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • "American by Birth, CSA by Choice"
    • SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 10:52:32 PM »

I out source my belly button lint to a company in Nigeria that makes pillows for pigmies... ;)
Served with the 43rd Virginia Cav Mosby's Rangers...
I favor an 1858 Remington .44 Revolver ... and I Smoke Black Powder

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Sheriff Langston

• Email
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 05:41:05 AM »

On a side note . Dryer lint makes a great fire starter when mixed with paraffin wax . Again, best to use cotton only . Don't need to be burning synthetics when you don't have to.
 Cotton dryer lint mixed into melted paraffin wax and then poured into pressed paper egg cartons . Fill the egg cups and allow to harden .
 Break off one egg cup with cotton and paraffin mix and light the paper egg carton cup. No other tinder is needed as this will burn for a long time.

Here's a couple of pics of a test I did using just that. The countdown timer was set to 1 hour & the 2 wads lit. The one on the right is a cotton ball soaked with vaselene as a control. The lint/wax/egg crate burned for almost 12 minutes before extinguishing. The vaselene & cotton ball lasted about 8 1/2 IIRC, more than enough to start a fire even with dubious materials!

This was a mix of whatever lint was in the trap BTW so it probably has some syhthetic in its mixture. Maybe that's a use for the mixed lots & keep the cotton only for wad making?

Came to the wrong town. I don't tolerate this sort of thing. It's hard on the peace, and it's hard on the furniture. Now, knowing a bit about Carter here, I'm going to let you go without paying for the damages, but go you will, and I mean now.

BGRooster1

• Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 08:11:21 AM »

Here's a couple of pics of a test I did using just that. The countdown timer was set to 1 hour & the 2 wads lit. The one on the right is a cotton ball soaked with vaselene as a control. The lint/wax/egg crate burned for almost 12 minutes before extinguishing. The vaselene & cotton ball lasted about 8 1/2 IIRC, more than enough to start a fire even with dubious materials!

This was a mix of whatever lint was in the trap BTW so it probably has some syhthetic in its mixture. Maybe that's a use for the mixed lots & keep the cotton only for wad making?

I have to agree with you Sheriff . The vaselene soaked cotton ball is as good and less bother. You can store them in a 35mm film container or small perscription bottle.
 Let's keep the cotton lint for wadding.
Maj.Bull S. Hitter on the CAS forum

Better to ask forgiveness.Than to beg permission

Cap & Ball revolvers are like Lay's potato chips , you can't have just one!!

Sheriff Langston

• Email
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 08:53:43 AM »
I think you misunderstood my post a bit. My point was that the vaselene/cotton balls do work just fine, but the waxed lint/egg carton works even better & may be a way to use up mixed lint you don't want in the gun.

If it makes a difference its a little easier to start the cotton ball/vaselene with a steel match than the wax/lint egg carton.

AZshooter

• Email
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »

Took some premium cotton DL to the range.  It had a generous quantity of cat hair mixed in, which I reasoned would help simulate felt, when compressed.  It works --- kinda. 

DL is fluffy enough that it takes a lot of it to compress down to make a proper thickness wad, so it's awkward & messy to use.  When fired, it disperses, and the powder flame ignites the cat hair.  Guy at the bench next to me wondered if I was launching tiny, flaming mammals downrange, since my powder cloud had that obnoxious burning cat smell in it.

Think I'll stick to the 2 ply paper wads, since they produce a controllable thickness wad that gives me quite good accuracy.