Author Topic: Cobray derringer kit  (Read 33913 times)

Offline Needles

• "What the Thinker thinks, the Prover proves." RAW
Re: Cobray derringer kit
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 06:13:18 AM »
It would be really cool to get a shotgun barrel and stock to convert the derringer, a nice little .45 derringer and a shotgun all in one! Of course I could get a .410 to .22 LR adapter for this, or one in .32 caliber.
So with two adapters and the shotgun/derringer setup you can have:
a .45/410 derringer
a .410 shotgun
a .22 long gun
a .32 long gun
a .32 derringer
and a .22 derringer

Six firearms in one. There you go! {?|

"Beware the man with one gun." (It might be more than one!)   ])M
Jim

I am a simple hillbilly. My primative mind often has difficulty grasping the subtle nuances of your advanced society.

Offline Needles

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 07:31:38 PM »
Well, here's what I've done so far. The breech face and side panels come like this: (Actually, packed in a sealed plastic bag.)
I had to de-burr the side plates, and polished them a little using fine sandpaper and a piece of plate glass. You can't really take off a lot of metal.
Jim

I am a simple hillbilly. My primative mind often has difficulty grasping the subtle nuances of your advanced society.

Offline Needles

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 07:51:19 PM »
I got the mating surfaces nice and shiny. (You can't really tell here.) Then I shimmed the side plates using a stack of small flat washers and two #6-32 x 3/4" machine screws to hold it in alignment when I braze it. It took 6 #8 flat washers to equal the width of the center piece of the grip and the little tang that sticks down between the side plates. I used the other pins, the safety and the trigger pivot pin, to make sure the holes all lined up. The pins all drop in from either side. After I tightened the screws, I checked everything again--- still good. The breech plate just barely slips in place, so it should braze right up . I have a C-clamp to hold it. Now I'm just waiting for the silver to get here. Home Depot had a 56% silver brazing kit on sale for @ $46 delivered--- 15' of wire alloy and some silver brazing flux. I'll keep y'all updated!  ;)
Jim

Offline Boondock

• NH - The South of the North
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 12:17:20 AM »
Lookin good so far, Needles!  I always thought about making one of these ugly little buggers for a tacklebox gun but I don't know squat about welding or brazing!  {_K

Can't wait to see how the rest of the build goes - might be just what I need to get off my duff and give it a shot!
Audentes Fortuna Juviat

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 04:18:17 AM »
Looks great Needles.  {?|
Please make sure you put up some pictures of how you put the trigger and hammer in.
I still can't get mine back together here.  :-[
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Needles

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 05:40:13 AM »
The second link in Levi's first post (first post of this thread) has a long PDF file with the instructions. It's on the bottom right of the web page when you go to that link.  He talks about the hammer spring and the trigger spring in there, plus there's more detail about the trigger spring added at the end. It looks like the trigger spring is also the barrel latch spring. The instructions are for a .22/.45LC, but the frames are the same for all models, I believe--- maybe not the side by side double barrel. He talks about using a paper clip on the trigger spring, I think to lift it above the latch, but I'll have to finger that part out when I get there.  :)
Jim

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 05:54:18 AM »
Thanks Needles, I'll take a look at that PDF file.  ;)

Offline frontloader

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 06:10:05 AM »
Hey Sam, did you buy and build the kit ?  or buy it complete?..............frontloader

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 06:18:21 AM »
Hi front, I bought this gun complete at a gun store. It was new for $72 bucks.
The reason I have it apart is: the trigger is very hard to pull. I'm talking like 25 lb trigger pull!

Offline frontloader

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 06:27:28 AM »
Yea Sam, I bought the single bbl 45/410 a few years ago. it also had a 25 lb trigger!!! I never took it apart and try lighting the trigger. popped a couple snakes here by the house with the .410. the .410 had more recoil than the .45 to me.....frontloader

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 06:31:34 AM »
When I figure out HOW to make a better trigger, I'll post pictures on here.  ;)

Offline Busyhands94

• Forum Legend
  • I am a grown ass man!
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 07:59:29 AM »
Sam, try taking the gun apart and looking at the sear and contact surfaces. My guess is that if you took some steel off the little notch in the hammer that the sear on the trigger catches on (I have no idea what it's called) and polished the sear you could have a really sweet trigger pull. That's what I did with my steel framed Remmy I built, the trigger is smooth as butter! (T^ Not as good as my Armsport Remmy, but I think I'm going to pull that apart and try and get a picture of the contact surfaces. The trigger pull on that one is really, really good. I've never felt a trigger that good on a pistol before.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 08:01:46 AM »
Hi Busy, yeah...but what if I mess it up?  {_K

Offline Busyhands94

• Forum Legend
  • I am a grown ass man!
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 09:22:04 AM »
Slow and steady Sam, slow and steady. Take your time and you won't file the sear off. And if you think you are close put the gun back together, get some snap caps, and give that trigger a test. I've done a bunch of triggers, you have to go slowly and carefully and most of all WANT the trigger to be better. If a redneck like me can do it in his backyard with some hand tools then so can you, again I've done quite a few trigger jobs before on my guns and a few other people's guns. They all turned out great.

I know, I've got too much time on my hands. )L$

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 09:31:23 AM »
 (?^ Love that picture!
I need to make another trigger out of some flat steel. I think I have some in my shop.

I just weight myself (we just got a new bathroom scale here), I'm at 205!  {:(
I don't feel like 205!  :(