Author Topic: Gatofeo No. 1 Lubricant: Homemade, and worth the effort  (Read 77528 times)

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Gatofeo No. 1 Lubricant: Homemade, and worth the effort
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2017, 08:05:05 PM »
Bee's wax is the good stuff.  Maybe they cut it with paraffin back in the day because it was cheaper?  I don't know about the relative prices of those ingredients back then, so it's just an uneducated guess.  The paraffin is cheaper today, and Gato's recipe has been working for me pretty well.  SPG seems to have more of the bee's wax in it, and it has been and remains popular among BP shooters.
Paraffin was not distilled until the 1850's   not likely was in very wide use for at least 10 to 20 years in lubes for BP guns etc.
But at first was in liquid form, used in lamps designed for that purpose and then later to make a better candle.  Also was cheaper than other candle products.

So I ask somebody to produce verifiable documents that it was indeed used  with tallow and beeswax during the civil war era as part of the lube recipe.
Paraffin by it's modern configuration has a higher melting point than it did back then, and as a hardening agent.
We really don't need either of those properties in our lube.
proper proportions of tallow / lard and beeswax will suffice in obtaining the correct viscosity for our needs.

even though the "myth" of it being in the formula persists across numerous websites including wikipedia.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline rfd

« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2017, 04:40:59 AM »
gato feo #1 is all i use for muzzleloader lead ball patches by rubbing in a cake of gato feo into the patch strip cloth on both sides, then heat gunning the lube into the cloth weave on both sides.  rolled up or cut into squares it's a superior patched ball lube, and doubles as a patched jag fouling cleaner when afield.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2017, 12:26:07 PM »

So I ask somebody to produce verifiable documents that it was indeed used  with tallow and beeswax during the civil war era as part of the lube recipe.

On this (rather good) vid there is a reference to the use of paraffin during the War.  It’s at about 2:00.  It seems that a ratio of 1:8 tallow to bees wax was finally the preferred mix.

Sorry, but the damn link won't copy to here.  I'll try to get it posted up.  Mark Hubbs Eras Gone.  Lubing the Cap and Ball Revolver Cartridge.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 08:19:42 PM by G Dog »
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline drobs

« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2017, 10:01:48 PM »
Beef Tallow vs Lamb Tallow - does lamb work better than beef?

DIY - Tallow:
https://www.thepaleomom.com/recipe-home-rendered-tallow-its-easy/
NRA Life Member

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2017, 03:02:18 PM »
Lamb tallow is way better.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   

Offline drobs

« Reply #125 on: November 27, 2017, 07:59:44 PM »
If all goes well next month, I'll have some Deer Tallow which is WAY better than lamb or bovine.
NRA Life Member

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #126 on: November 27, 2017, 08:46:48 PM »
There are so many good things to be said of lanolin that I am unreasonably prejudiced in favor of sheep tallow.  I’ve never used deer tallow so maybe you’re right, drobs.  Keep us posted. 

I’m still wondering how Mazo’s batch of bear fat worked out. 

Offline Frankenstein

« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2018, 02:02:02 PM »
Hm. This is very interesting. Makes me wonder if I should redo my beeswax / olive oil wads.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

Offline rodwha

« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2018, 02:41:06 PM »
I first made some for felt wads and have since used it in the lube grooves of my pistol bullets and REALs for my rifle. Works quite well. I’ve also read of it working nicely as a patch lube. Once I get back to work on my rifle I intend to try it along with Moose Milk, which is also said to work quite well. I’ve also considered buying some cheap olive oil as people seem to rave about it. Way back when I was caught in the pantry checking out SWMBO’s olive oil. She lambasted me and told me all I could use was her grape seed oil (she doesn’t usually buy cheap olive oil). It didn’t seem to work all that great. But then I was just shooting for fun trying to break in my new rifle.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline drobs

« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2018, 12:19:34 AM »
Hm. This is very interesting. Makes me wonder if I should redo my beeswax / olive oil wads.

I wouldn't. There are probably 1000 different lube recipes out there and each old timer has a different one that they swear by as being the best.

Shoot what you have and then try something else. Nothing is permanent it can be melted and reformed.

NRA Life Member