Photobucket

Hosted by: 1858Remington.com

Author Topic: Grain Capacity  (Read 1018 times)

swathdiver

• Email
Grain Capacity
« on: March 13, 2012, 02:44:57 PM »
Started doing mathematical measurements but my head almost exploded.  Instead, I took a .451 ball and seated it just below the rim of the cylinder, pulled the cone out and back filled it with black powder. 

At first 30 grains seemed to fill it up, so the cone was re-installed, the cylinder put back in the frame and the ball rammed down to test.  It went down some more! 

Pulled everything apart, unscrewed the cone and used some brass rod to bring the ball to the desired position in the cylinder and refilled the cylinder again.  This time another 2 grains or so went in.

The Goex FFFg powder was measured 3 ways.  First, by the Treso powder flask 30gr nozzle.  Second by the Traditions powder measure with funnel and lastly by my new Chicom powder scale.  The Treso nozzle was filled to the brim, putting it in the Traditions measure left about 2 grains too much when set at 30 grains.  Lastly the scale said 32 grains by weight.

Anyways, all this to figure out how much filler is needed to keep the ball nearly flush with the top of the cylinder for a given load.  Is it right that the capacity by volume behind the ball (.454) is supposed to be 35 grains?

So shooting 24 grains of BP, one would need 9 grains of filler, right?  My brain hurts!   {:(

Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
    • Black Powder Times
    • Email
Re: Grain Capacity
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 05:21:19 PM »
Heck I dunno. I don't use a filler. I can stuff 40+ grains of Pyro in a chamber but it compresses more than bp. Using a filler isn't going to give you a noticeable improvement on accuracy unless you bench rest. As long as the ball is compressing the powder it doesn't matter how far it has to jump to the forcing cone.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

BlackPowderTimes.com

Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 07:44:31 PM »
You can use as much filler over your normal range load as it takes to seat the ball flush with the end. If you go too far, you can hack off the protruding lead from the ball with a pocket knife and use the last known volume of filler that worked.
Me, I'm with Hawg. Don't use filler. If you're shooting for trophies or dollars, maybe. But gongs don't give a rat's ass where you hit 'em.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

swathdiver

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 10:49:45 PM »
I'd rather not mess with a filler if it doesn't affect accuracy or wear and tear on the weapon.  There are two flask spouts in my initial purchase of accroutments, 24 and 30 grains.  If one of those is best for all around shootin', that's what I'd like to stick with.

Is 28 grains the magic number for a Pietta with a .454 round ball?  If so, no qualms with cutting the 30 grain spout down to size!

I was thinking of using my Crony at the range but then I read and realized, that BP shots would wreak havoc on it with unfired bp, the wad and possibly corn meal sand blasting the parts every shot.

Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
    • Black Powder Times
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 02:06:09 AM »
Experiment and use what works best for your gun.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

BlackPowderTimes.com

Smokin_Gun

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • "American by Birth, CSA by Choice"
    • SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 10:28:28 PM »
I'd rather not mess with a filler if it doesn't affect accuracy or wear and tear on the weapon.  There are two flask spouts in my initial purchase of accroutments, 24 and 30 grains.  If one of those is best for all around shootin', that's what I'd like to stick with.

Is 28 grains the magic number for a Pietta with a .454 round ball?  If so, no qualms with cutting the 30 grain spout down to size!

I was thinking of using my Crony at the range but then I read and realized, that BP shots would wreak havoc on it with unfired bp, the wad and possibly corn meal sand blasting the parts every shot.

A 30spout with yur thumb or finger pressed in the top of it will give 28gr ... try it like Hawg said and get an incremented measurer if you wanna expirament. But 28gr of Black powder works the best for me and I got a good few .44s & .36s in BP Revs...  :-*  {?(
Served with the 43rd Virginia Cav Mosby's Rangers...
I favor an 1858 Remington .44 Revolver ... and I Smoke Black Powder

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

swathdiver

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 08:35:45 AM »
A 30spout with yur thumb or finger pressed in the top of it will give 28gr ... try it like Hawg said and get an incremented measurer if you wanna expirament. But 28gr of Black powder works the best for me and I got a good few .44s & .36s in BP Revs...  :-*  {?(

Much abliged fellas!

Sheriff Langston

• Email
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 09:51:11 AM »
Here's what I do, maybe it'll help you figure out a method for yourself.
I got a set of measuring spouts, one for 50, one for 75, & one for 100Gr (indicated) of BP. The flask came with a 30, I also have a sliding type variable volume measure.

I worked up a load with the sliding measure, stopping when it was as accurate as I could get it. Then I transferred the load from the adjustable measure to the next biggest indicated volume spout for the flask, which turned out to be the 30 that it came with. My load ended up as 27 Gr of FFg, a felt wad under the ball & no grease.

Next I marked where on the 30 grain cylinder the powder filled to & ground off the excess with wet & dry. It was only about 1/16" so it didn't take long at all.

I also smoothed out the square internal lip on the spout & did a little touch up work. Now to load a chamber I dump a funnel full into the graduate, transfer that to the chamber as a double check on messed up drops, seat the wad & ball & & cap then fire.

It seems clumsy when written, but in practice it does 2 things for me. It prevents a flash over into the powder flask & it double checks my technique for replicating a good load every time.

Came to the wrong town. I don't tolerate this sort of thing. It's hard on the peace, and it's hard on the furniture. Now, knowing a bit about Carter here, I'm going to let you go without paying for the damages, but go you will, and I mean now.

swathdiver

• Email
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 12:10:57 PM »
Now to load a chamber I dump a funnel full into the graduate, transfer that to the chamber as a double check on messed up drops, seat the wad & ball & & cap then fire.

That's the same process I've been using, though I've been tempted to just pour from the flask after the cylinder has sat for 10 minutes or so.  Turns out, without the funnel it, was even messier!