Photobucket

Hosted by: 1858Remington.com

Poll

What brand of percussion cap do you prefer on your Remmy?

RWS/Dynamit-Nobel
8 (13.3%)
CCI
13 (21.7%)
Remington
35 (58.3%)
CVA
0 (0%)
Other*
1 (1.7%)
More than one (specify)
3 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Best Caps for the Remmy?  (Read 11879 times)

Huntsman

Re: Best Caps for the Remmy?
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2012, 05:36:58 PM »
I think most 1858 Remmie owners agree!!  #10 Remington caps are the favorite!!!

Homesteader

AZshooter

• Email
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2012, 06:44:56 PM »
First fired my Dad's Uberti/Marietta Arms 1861 Navy back in 1969.  Remington and Navy Arms (RWS/Dynamit Nobel) caps were about all that was available at the time.  Remington #10's always worked fine & still do to this day.  Seems that the standard Uberti & Pietta Nipples are all made for #10's. 

Now, about those RWS caps - the part # even today is #1075, which makes me think they're supposed to be #10s.  Comparing a 30 year old tin with some new RWS caps, they're both the same size - too big for the #10 nipples on the 43 year old Uberti Navy, another 35 yr old Uberti Army, and my just-made-this-year Piettas.  They fit just like #11's on a set of the Treso/Ampco nipples I installed on an 1858 & function just fine.  But they're definitely not #10 caps.

Today, my favorites are whichever is cheaper - usually the CCI #10's over at the local Bass Pro Shops..  Never had any misfires or problems with either CCI or Remington in shooting performance, although the Rem caps don't feed as smoothly in my cappers.

Take a look at the Remington cap & you notice that it's been stamped into a cup shape & the open end edges are ragged, while the CCI caps have a nice squared off open end.  That jagged edge on the Remingtons makes them want to fall over instead of just sliding when advancing in the cappers. 

All caps are ribbed, which allow them to expand a little when seating on a cap.  If you need to pinch your caps to get them to stay on, you need to use smaller caps.  In all my years of shooting Colts & more recently Remingtons, I've never had a cap fall off & into the inside of any of the guns & have never had any problems fully seating one with either finger or a small wooden dowel.

Even my 35 year old Stainless ROA likes # 10 caps.  From where I sit, the only use I've found for #11 caps is with the Treso/Ampco nipples installed  on a Remington Sheriff's Model.

Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
    • Black Powder Times
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2012, 07:35:31 PM »
The 1075 on RWS is simply what you said, a part number. Rifles usually take #11 and pistols take #10 but I have had two Pietta's that took #11. I much prefer CCI over Remington.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

BlackPowderTimes.com

HAGEN

• Riding East
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2012, 05:14:17 AM »
My 2 Cents:
Trying to shoot a pair of Pietta 44 5 1/2 58s in SASS Frontiersman Category
25 Gr APP Powder: Dipper & Funnel
Treso Nipples: #10 Remington Caps. Fingers and a Dowel.
451 Hornady Ball
Lubed Wads (Habit)

No Issues except Arthur and them Dxxx 58 Hammers. Got a pair of Lowered Hammers coming to aliviate the pain.

Been Reloading Cartridge & ShotShell for a while and have never been pleased with CCI primers.

"A Man's got to have a Code, a Creed to Live By, No Matter his Job" JW

Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Black Powder Times
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2012, 07:22:18 AM »

Been Reloading Cartridge & ShotShell for a while and have never been pleased with CCI primers.

For cartridge CCI is my first choice, Winchester my second.
CCI are the hardest primers you can get. They don't always work well with lightened springs. Winchester are next hardest followed by Remington with Federal being the softest. There have been instances of Federal blowing up with Lee press priming systems.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

BlackPowderTimes.com

Smokin_Gun

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • "American by Birth, CSA by Choice"
    • SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2012, 11:46:04 PM »
I used CCI 10's and 11s most of the 30 years I've been shootin' BP ... changed to Remington bought 1500 of 10s and 1500 of 11s about 5 years ago for the hell of it ... never found a need to go back... I have 40 some C&B Revs and a some Rifles ... varied species of Revs more .44s that .36s but enough differant types of each and between the Rem 11s& 10s they fit all I have ... also did a spark and loudness test in the house with cap comparisons ... I stuck with the Remington caps , I like um. Nothing against CCI as they served me well for many years, just got sore thumbs from squeezin' um )L$... Rems If I have to squeeze easier ... jus' my likins is all,
SG
 {?(
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:12:22 AM by Smokin_Gun »
Served with the 43rd Virginia Cav Mosby's Rangers...
I favor an 1858 Remington .44 Revolver ... and I Smoke Black Powder

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Ari24

• Si vis pacem, para bellum ... WWJMBD?
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2012, 11:58:39 AM »
I've used CCI No. 11s and Dynamit Nobel No. 1075 on both the Pietta Remington 36 and the Euroarms Rogers & Spencer 44 and neither will stay on no matter how hard I push with a dowel.  The nipples are stock and on both appear almost identical; the R&S are perhaps a little shorter.  I've tried squeezing before and after and they still all fall off at the first shot.  I've resorted to putting them on one shot at a time - makes for slow shooting and is probably not gaining me friends at the range.

From what I read here No. 1075s are the same as No. 10s..?  so not worth trying to find another brand of No. 10s ..?
The consensus seems to be swap out the nipples for Tresos and go with No.11s.

G Dog

• Forum Legend
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2012, 12:40:59 PM »
Well Ari, sounds like No. 11's are plain just too big.  They are for my stock Piettas' too.  Over here Remington #10 works all day on Pietta stock cones.  Second choice is CCI, #10 again.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 12:47:45 PM by G Dog »

Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Black Powder Times
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2012, 01:04:59 PM »
1075 RWS are #11.

BlackPowderTimes.com

Aardvark-mi

• Email
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2012, 02:19:18 PM »
+1 What G Dog said!
Remington #10's fit perfectly on my Pietta NMA. To date I have shot over a 1000's rnds and I have never had one fall off and never had one misfire. I haven't tried CCI or other brands simply because the Rems work so well and I get them at a good price. Our local Gander Mountain sells them for $4.99 a tin.

Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Black Powder Times
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2012, 03:56:58 PM »
I prefer CCI but I can't get CCI #10 locally. All I can get in a 10 are Remington. I get a lot of them missing priming compound.

BlackPowderTimes.com

Ari24

• Email
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2012, 08:58:26 AM »
1075 RWS are #11.
That's interesting.  I don't have any left to compare but thought the 1075s were a little smaller in diameter.  I do know I've had fewer mis-fires or other problems with the Nobel than the CCIs, which either didn't fit squarely or became distorted and ended up in the action (just like a Colt?).
So far I've not been able to find Remintons here - maybe someone could mail a case?   ;D

Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2012, 09:03:16 AM »
Ari24, if you lived in USA...I would ship you some Remington caps.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
    • Black Powder Times
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2012, 09:56:23 AM »
Some people think because the number on the RWS is 1075 that they're 10 3/4 but that's just the part number they use.

BlackPowderTimes.com

Ari24

• Email
« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2012, 12:36:56 PM »
Ari24, if you lived in USA...I would ship you some Remington caps.  ;)
Thank you for the thought, Mad Dog.  I have since found a source for Remington No. 11s but it seems they're the same as RWS 1075s so I guess I'll stick with them.