1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Handgun Hunting  (Read 24554 times)

Offline BGRooster1

• Forum Legend
Re: Handgun Hunting
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2013, 01:22:17 PM »
That video is one I have watched a few times. It is a good video to show the ones who don't believe it can be done. I wish I could understand all the conversation along with it.
Maj.Bull S. Hitter on the CAS forum

Better to ask forgiveness.Than to beg permission

Cap & Ball revolvers are like Lay's potato chips , you can't have just one!!

Offline the_law_man01

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2013, 11:24:42 PM »
I hear ya there. I've found videos of guys killing hogs, deer, etc. The .44 with the right load and within its maximum effective range (on game) which I feel is about 30 yards, should effectively kill anything in the lower 48.

That being said, am I going to hunt moose, elk, or bear with it? Absolutely NOT.
"Jerk that hog leg and go to work!"

Offline BGRooster1

• Forum Legend
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2013, 09:38:46 AM »
Awe come on. Where is your sense of adventure,living on the edge ? {:(
 I agree on the moose and bear . I do feel that within that 30 yds. with a proper load it could take an elk with authority.
Maj.Bull S. Hitter on the CAS forum

Better to ask forgiveness.Than to beg permission

Cap & Ball revolvers are like Lay's potato chips , you can't have just one!!

Offline the_law_man01

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2013, 10:06:56 AM »
I think you're right. With my '58 I was able to load 30gr T7 with Hornady .454 ball and shoot a 4"x3" group at 25 yards this weekend! That is simply resting my elbows/upper forearms on a table which would simulate shooting from my stand/blind. That beats my maximum group size requirement of 4" for hunting.  _l

I WILL carry this with me when I head to the woods in November. I plan to take a buck with my bow, a 2nd buck (management) with either bow or pistol, and will definitely shoot a doe with the '58. I can't wait!  :-*

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Proud American Hillbilly Infidel
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2013, 12:36:33 PM »
Last deer season, I carried my Pietta brass frame Remington Buffalo for both muzzleloading and modern rifle seasons. I will carry it this year too.  ])M
{?( Be ye not afraid of the truth, for the "Truth Has No Agenda".  :9)
"If they come to take, they also come to die." Pustic 3:16

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline the_law_man01

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2013, 01:58:57 PM »
Last deer season, I carried my Pietta brass frame Remington Buffalo for both muzzleloading and modern rifle seasons. I will carry it this year too.  ])M

Sooo, you JUST carried it, or you smoked that sucka with a hawg leg?  &j(  ->i

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »
Yeah, I just carried it, along with a long gun. For all the good they did me, I could of just left them at home. ^y%  I didn't get a chance to get a shot off.   :'(

Hopefully, this season will be different.  _l
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:53:16 PM by Pustic »

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Offline the_law_man01

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2013, 05:04:07 PM »
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I sat on that stand for about 45 dang minutes last year. And, 30 of that was giving the ol' grand-daddy some time which turned out to be not needed.  {?| He dropped at the shot, got up and stumbled behind a cedar tree but appeared to have some strength. I couldn't see after he went behind the tree. Well, I went over to where he dropped@shot and looked toward where he ran. There he laid about 10 yards away.  {L*

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2013, 08:47:30 PM »
 :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:52:46 PM by Pustic »

Offline Crawdad

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2016, 07:35:54 PM »
I always took my 1860 Army Repro out hunting but used the conversion cylinder filled with 230 grain 45 Schofields cowboy action loads.  Nothing yet but while out groundhog hunting with my Colt repro I saw some mighty good spots to post up.  While groundhog hunting during the summer I always mark off 25 paces noting the geography within that range. My max range for deer hunting.  I'm hoping for some good luck this year.

Offline Capnball

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2018, 06:30:04 AM »
I got a nice doe this season using my Optima v2 pistol with 80gr black horn and a 300gr Bloodline segmented hp. I had an ROA along in a shoulder rig, but the deer walked out into my view only 15yds away and I was holding the cva and attempting to draw and cock the .44 would of spooked her. She was DRT, the impact flipped her upside down and she landed on her back. I hit the front leg and it went thru both legs and caused extreme trauma to the lungs and snapped three ribs on the exit side about a foot away from the exit hole. I am thinking some kind of hydraulic effect snapped those ribs. Never seen a deer that went down so hard. I recovered four of the segments, out of six. The projectile base kept right on going and made a huge exit, like a 2" hole and ragged where it busted thru bone. The Ruger was loaded max with Ojama 220gr and 30gr T7, but didn't have a chance to try it out due to how close the deer was. She dressed out at about 100lb. The Bloodline is a devastating projectile and bruised the meat pretty bad all around the entry-exit area. The neck roast was damaged, as the pill went thru at an angle, she must of put that right leg forward when I fired, as both legs and base of neck were heavily damaged. She was cutting away to the left when I put one thru her right leg half way up her body. Seen a big buck the next weekend, but he was 140yds away and I was using the V2 again with 14" barrel. Watched him graze for quite a while.

Offline Capnball

Deer pics
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2018, 01:12:12 PM »
Scraps I am cooking for the dogs, they love deer season.