Author Topic: Huntin' Gear  (Read 10076 times)

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
Huntin' Gear
« on: July 06, 2011, 12:39:31 PM »
Here's a thread to discuss all types of gear and equipment you use to make it happen
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 06:18:17 PM by east texas »
if yall get this way,drop on by!

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
Re: huntin gear
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 12:57:11 PM »
all right the shack! hey do any you guys use camaflouge for deer hunting? ive heard that deer are colorblid and cant see colors anywayb but i really dont know as every deer ive ever had a chance to ask just laid there with their tounges hanging out and acted like they didnt hear me! i dont use camo and cant tell that im getting less deer than those who do so i dont usually spend money on camo as i already have clothes! i usually hunt in my old field jacket and jeans, btw its one of the older jackets that are solid olive,not the camo ones

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 01:01:10 PM »
All my deer hunting has been in blaze with the exception of archery. I use camo for the archery hunting. Even if blaze wasn't a requirement I'd still wear it during gun season...too many blind crazies. :D
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 01:10:41 PM »
no doubt ,my wife keeps tellin me to wear orange since my neighbors tan dog got shot 2 years ago during deer season! someone just shot at some brown!

Offline Rock Island

• Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 04:51:21 PM »
The wife is right, wear the dam orange.  A friend of mine was blown away by two hunters up from the city while he was clearing brush in his yard, they saw tan and thought he was a deer.  He died in the arms of a State Trooper before the chopper got there, a 12 gauge slug in his chest, only sheer toughness kept him alive for 12 minutes after the shooting, long enough to pass on messages to his wife and little girl.  That wake was among the worst several hours of my life, listening to that little girl ask her catatonic mother over and over whens daddy gonna get here.  The hunters were charged with tresspassing, discharge of a weapon within a thousand feet of a dwelling, and a few other small offenses, the shooter attempted suicide when he saw what he had done and had to be restrained, and then hospitalized.  Dam woods around here are to congested with city hunters for me to think about going out, these days I restrict myself to pesky tree rats, and any 'coon stupid enough to hit my trash cans twice.  When I did go out I wore my Fillson double Mackinaw with a red and black lumberjack pattern, and an orange hat.  The coat shrank in storage.....yea, that's it....so it's stored away.  I get plenty of good meat from my surviving friends who hunt upstate.  As for my guns, I am a traditionalist, no fancy gear, 1940's era Winchester 1894 .30-30, A couple of Stevens Double 12 gauges , and of course my .22's.  Of late I seem to be collecting vintage pump shotguns, but I never hunted with these.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.  Theodore Roosevelt

Offline kwilfong

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 05:08:31 PM »
 I'm really,really fortuneate to have access to 120 acres of prime woods that I share with one other hunter. I believe in the gillie suit & ground blinds built from branches I stack up. Can't make myself like tree stands.  last couple years I've been working on scent control & have seen the benefits. Vanish spray really works along with the special scent-free soap & laundry detergent
I reckon so

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 05:14:24 PM »
oh i can see were really gonna get some discussions goin around here! how you guys like the shack?

Offline kwilfong

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 05:21:18 PM »
 ;D  Like it!
I reckon so

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 08:51:19 PM »
The wife is right, wear the dam orange.  A friend of mine was blown away by two hunters up from the city while he was clearing brush in his yard, they saw tan and thought he was a deer.  He died in the arms of a State Trooper before the chopper got there, a 12 gauge slug in his chest, only sheer toughness kept him alive for 12 minutes after the shooting, long enough to pass on messages to his wife and little girl.  That wake was among the worst several hours of my life, listening to that little girl ask her catatonic mother over and over whens daddy gonna get here.  The hunters were charged with tresspassing, discharge of a weapon within a thousand feet of a dwelling, and a few other small offenses, the shooter attempted suicide when he saw what he had done and had to be restrained, and then hospitalized.  Dam woods around here are to congested with city hunters for me to think about going out, these days I restrict myself to pesky tree rats, and any 'coon stupid enough to hit my trash cans twice.  When I did go out I wore my Fillson double Mackinaw with a red and black lumberjack pattern, and an orange hat.  The coat shrank in storage.....yea, that's it....so it's stored away.  I get plenty of good meat from my surviving friends who hunt upstate.  As for my guns, I am a traditionalist, no fancy gear, 1940's era Winchester 1894 .30-30, A couple of Stevens Double 12 gauges , and of course my .22's.  Of late I seem to be collecting vintage pump shotguns, but I never hunted with these.

Holy crap! I read about that incident on the 'net!!!!
Terribly tragic all around. Yeah, I wear the blaze whether I have to or not. There are many, many folks running around in the woods who should not be armed. Lots of them taking sound shots, at that...and bragging about it!

Offline Rock Island

• Forum Legend
Re: Huntin' Gear
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 05:23:18 AM »
The 'net was still fairly new when this happened in '97, so you may not have read about this one particular incident.  Sad part is that so many similar incidents have happened that only the names change, and locations, but the story stays the same.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.  Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 04:59:13 PM »
Pretty sure that was the incident. I had recently gotten into deer hunting in a big way and was surfing the web every chance I had at work (no home web access back then!) and had read a story about an upstate NY homeowner that was shot clearing brush in his yard. Was that the one?
Well, no matter....you're right. Same story, different year and state. Deer hunting has become accessible to people who have no business owning a firearm, let alone hunting with it.

chuckr1952

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 07:54:03 PM »
    rocks story makes me mad and sad, I can't belive someone would do something like this, I have hunted all my life and never shot toward a house or barn, never shot toward a road or highway, always careful, it , cseems like some folks will take any kind of risk to shoot a german shepard size deer, they dont need the meat, they ending up killing somone! no words to describe it, dont understand

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 09:09:20 PM »
Well, Chuck, it's like the old saying..."You don't know what you don't know".
I took hunter safety with both my boys (just to be with them) when they were young even though I had already been hunting for years, I was surprised to find out what I DIDN'T know.  Too many folks figure they know how to shoot, therefore they know how to hunt. NOT.

Offline Rock Island

• Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 10:33:12 PM »
They call it buck fever, these boys were up from the city NYC for a days hunting, they were casual hunters, inexperienced, poorly trained, and should never have been in the field.  A man should be able to wear a tan carhardt work jacket in his own yard while working without fear he will be blown away.  We have had one other hunting accident in the county in the last 14 years, it did not result in a death, the DEC patrolls have tightened things up a bit.

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 03:42:18 AM »
same thing happened around here a couple of years ago! a lady who lived at the edge of the woods went out to get in her car and was shot by a really stupid hunter from houston she had on a tan jacket, he was in the woods, and didnt even see the house or the car , just some brown, had the fever!