Author Topic: Skinning, Tanning, and Mounting  (Read 6660 times)

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
Skinning, Tanning, and Mounting
« on: July 06, 2011, 12:27:41 PM »
Here's the section to discuss skinnin' ,butcherin', tannin' your hides, or mounting your kill, pretty much anything that goes on after you make the kill!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 06:21:42 PM by east texas »
if yall get this way,drop on by!

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
Re: skinning ,tanning,and mounting
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 01:15:01 PM »
anyone tan their hides? ive done a few and its a lot of work but very satisfying, knowing the old ways work! ive given every hide away to friends! i think im gonna try some buckskin this year! during season i just salt the raw side and roll em up and put em in a garbage bag and stack em in the freezer and usually work on them in the spring {?(

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
Re: Skinning, Tanning, and Mounting
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 05:19:40 PM »
 i think i might try a european mount this year if i get a big buck, i guess it gets pretty messy doin all that boilin!but i sure cant afford a taxidermist with the economy suckin wind  around here!  any one ever do this before? {?(

chuckr1952

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 10:50:20 AM »
     east texas, I dont thik your supposta boil em, makes the skull fall apart, supposta trim all the meat off that is possible and just leave em soak in a tub of water and rot the flesh off to where you can take a stiff brush and clean em up then you leave em in strong peroxide to finish em up and bleach the bone out. This is what I been told dont take it for the truth.

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 11:12:21 AM »
one of my neighbors did a couple last year and he said he boiled all the meat off his! they do look good! ive heard some folks tie a nylon rope on em and throw em in the tank and let the fish and crawdads have their way with them! i will look it up on the net before i attempt to do it!

chuckr1952

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 06:51:45 PM »
     when I was about 13 I shot my first coyote, me and dad decided we'd clean up the scull, we were boiling i t on the cookstove , thought mom was goin to be gone a while, had it in a big folgers coffee can, it was too big and we had to flip it over every once in a while, we were just sittin at the kitchen table talkin about what we were going to do with the scull, mom came back and we kind of drawed up, not a good deal, smelled really bad in the kitchen, she looked at the can and asked what we were cookin, we told her and she said [ my dads name was claud] claud I dont expect much from him [me] but I expect you to have better sense than this, she stormed off talking to herself, me and dad sat there drinking coffee and talked about the next step with the scull and the intolerence of women, I'm looking at that scull right now, its siting on my computer desk, it's turnen kind of brown but I sill remember that time with my dad.

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 07:34:01 PM »
way  cool story! and ya still got it!

chuckr1952

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 08:52:29 PM »
      YEP, it's grining at me right now.

chuckr1952

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 04:22:59 PM »

bjmac

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 04:26:06 PM »
Charlie, that really made me smile. Thanks.
BJ

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 05:10:24 PM »
the old man i take care of shot a coon off his porch nite before last, right thru the window glass!  (?^ (?^ said hed been tryin to get that coon several times, but every time he opened the door the sucker ran off ! so i guess i gotta replace that glass before winter! (?^ (?^ any way i skinned that coon, salted the hide and rolled it up an stuck it in one o the freezers and when im thru killin this winter ill tan it with the rest of em! might even try a hat !

chuckr1952

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
         I think it'll work out fine, we may all be wearing em before long.

Offline Rock Island

• Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 06:22:47 PM »
When did we stop wearing them????  (?^
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.  Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 01:46:50 AM »
hey charlie! great article, how bout stickin it in the do it yer ownself thread? it would be a great article in it!   thanx fer the info!

Offline dragoon

• Just an old Black Powder shooter, thats all
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 01:45:13 PM »
I tan my own hides. I enjoy making things i can use in my hobbies. Here is a possibles bag i made from a Deer skin i tanned. Obviously I would never use it in the woods for hunting but I go to a lot of primitive arms shoots and it makes a good conversation piece. I just enjoy using every thing I can from animals I harvest.
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
― John Wayne