Author Topic: Blackpowder Hunting  (Read 13662 times)

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
Blackpowder Hunting
« on: July 06, 2011, 12:18:39 PM »
All discussions of black powder hunting are welcome here!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 06:20:25 PM by east texas »
if yall get this way,drop on by!

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
Re: blackpowder hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 01:30:41 PM »
awright guys, i love animals,theyre delicious! whos a killer here? lets see what yer shootin fer which critter! ill post a pic soon as i find where i stuck my camera (?^

Offline kwilfong

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 04:52:53 PM »

Not M/L but I burn the holy black in it. See "Black powder cartridge guns" in the General Category. Just today got a Malcolm replica scope for it 'cause I can't see iron sights in the dark woods anymore.

I hope to have this one in hunting shape come October. A bud gave it to me. It was a very poorly done kit (Cabela's Hawken). I refinished it & put the tang & globe sights on it. The barrel was somewhat pitted & I couldn't get it to shoot like I wanted so I found a Green Mountain 50 cal round ball barrel made for a T/C & fitted it. Seems like it wants to shoot now.
I reckon so

Offline Rock Island

• Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 04:55:23 PM »
I bought a Hawken like that from the old Service Merchandise back in '78, or '79, had it for years but never hunted with it, just plinking.  Ended up trading it on my first Garand, but I still have the pistol. 
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.  Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 05:04:45 PM »
hey nice rifle kwilfong! i took a couple last year with my buffalo classic 45-70! it does say black powder hunting! and thats black loads! i traded the 45-70 off this winter as it kicked like a mule and wasnt balanced all that well!

Offline kwilfong

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 05:19:02 PM »
 I've put a bunch more venison in the freezer with the 45/70 than everything else put together. Love the way it works; big holes but without the bloodshot meat & bone fragments you get with higher velocity.
  Two years ago, a big doe stepped out in the pasture with just enough light left to shoot @ 200 yards. Never heard a bullet hit a deer before as they've mostly been real close but it was like "boom..........WHACK!" Seemed like the impact was louder than the report. She dropped on the spot.
I reckon so

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
Re: Blackpowder Hunting
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 03:56:58 AM »
i can relate to that whack noise! last year the first doe i took was just at sunup, and i took a shot and , i couldnt believe it but the doe started limping off! , now if you use a 45-70 , you KNOW that dont happen! any way i put another shell n and took a bead ,the doe had moved to the 175 yd range by then, and boomed again, and of course this time she dropped  when the bullet hit you could hear it smack meat! so when i went and got her she had a perfectly punched round hole in her rear achilles tendon , i dont know what happened on that first shot as i was aiming for just behind the shoulder on a side shot, and the kill shot went right where i put it, i wasnt willing to take the blame on such a poor shot so i tend to think it might have been an ammo problem! i did shoot a hog in the head last year with it{and we all know a hogs head is hard as chinese rithmatic!} and the hog was facing me [didnt like the look in his eyes at the time neither!] and of course he dropped, {L* and the bullet came out of the back side of a ham!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 04:01:12 AM by east texas »

Offline kwilfong

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 04:12:35 PM »
 Hey, I flat missed one last year :(  I pride myself on marksmanship & that was a hard pill to swallow but there was no sign that deer was hit. About 75 yards, quartering away. Crosshairs low behind the onside shoulder. Ran off with tail high. Looked for two hours for hair, blood, broken sapling, etc. Nothing. Checked zero & the rifle was spot on. I just plain missed. :'( Nice buck too.
I reckon so

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 07:04:10 PM »
well  either you have missed one or your going to someday! ive missed before see above post (?^ i dont know whats worse,missing or shootin one in the foot! every one around here brings that foot shot up all the time, i just tell em he was facing the wrong way for a kill shot so i made him dance around till i got the shot i wanted! {L*

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 04:18:52 AM »
i have found hunting with a muzzle loader has made me a much better hunter ! i need to be closer and quieter now [silent and deadly!] when hunting with buds i have noticed they make tons of more noise than i do! even when just walkin down the dirt roads i always  injun step and cant help but notice how much noise the other person is making is this just me or has any one else noticed that people who dont hunt like us are noiseier? hell i even breathe different when im in the woods! slower and steadir and quieter! is it me just being anal?

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 09:19:14 AM »
Yes. Even moreso when archery hunting.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 03:22:02 AM »
with all the posts lately i felt compelled to add this post!  i like to hunt with traditional front stuffers only, i do have an inline rifle, gifted to me by my son so its pretty special to me non-the-less i will never hunt with it! hunting is a big ,big part of my life out here , both as a survival skill and as pure enjoyment!  we are on a very LIMITED and fixed income, so making meat is a very necessary function for me, still i feel thet the game should have a sporting chance to survive also,so ambushes are not something that appeals to me [sitting three hundred yards away with a hi powered rifle and scope] i find it freezer filling but does nothing for my sense of self worth! i know that wont make sense to a lot of folks, its just the way i feel! muzzleloader hunting has brought just as much meat to the table as anything else i have used, and has brought 100 times more satisfaction to me than a modern rifle does. i have to get closer so that takes an entirley different and new set of skills ,such as stalking,noise and smell management, studying the games habits more and lots of other aspects that will get you closer to your game!  marksmanship! ya only get one shot so you need to make it count! so that puts me to practice more so i am more familiar with things such as projectiles and powder loads etc. if you spend time practiceing you WILL be a better shot no matter what gun you pick up! patience! when your not using a scope or dumping a clip of  5.56 ammo on a deer or other game you have to wait for the right shot, sometimes you get it and sometimes you dont patience will spill over into all the other aspects of your life as well, nce you start using it! responsibility! being a responsible hunter because you know your range and effectiveness of your projectile and load. there are so many aspects  of muzzleloading hunting over looked by modern hunting that have been lost skills to the average hunter that you re - aquire when you  "regress" it stands true for bow hunting as well, which i will be trying out before long! thanx for letting me spout off guys i hope none take offence at my observations, its just my opinion and im entiteled to that! {?(                                                                                                                                                                                         

chuckr1952

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 01:21:34 PM »
                               You havent said anything that eneyone could argue with.

Offline Smokin_Gun

• Forum Legend
  • "American by Birth, CSA by Choice"
    • SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 04:10:32 AM »
I whole heartedly agree ... but do have a couple of .45-70 afflictions myself and 1873 Springfield and an 1872 Buffalo Classic H&R which has only tasted Black Powder.
Good Read E.T.
Served with the 43rd Virginia Cav Mosby's Rangers...
I favor an 1858 Remington .44 Revolver ... and I Smoke Black Powder

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 02:13:32 PM »
thanx sg i have regressed in life so much am now doing all my hunting with boomerangs! do we have a thread for that yet (?^ (?^ (?^ (?^ (?^